PDA

View Full Version : GSXR 750 to 1200 Bandit loom

GSXR6
17-07-2011, 06:09 AM
Hey guys I've one for you I just built a 7-12 it's an old L model 750 from 1990 with a 99 1200 bandit motor. the engines is a stunner tho i had to use the carbs off the 750 so instead of 36's she has the 38's ,plus the cdi is off the 750. It rides ok but there seems to be a flat spot between 4 and 5 on the revs. I just bought a cdi from a 99 bandit and spliced it to the 750 loom but it turns over ok but there is no spark.
Any thoughts or ideas would be much apreciated guys

Many thanks
Steven

Deano
17-07-2011, 11:07 AM
You need to get the pin outs for both ignitor boxes to find out what the go is. The later gix had an an anti theft resistor in th ignition key barrel that fed a voltage back to the ignitor box. If this certain voltage as not detected then the ignitor assumed the bike was getting hot wired and would not start. You won't find the circuit on any wiring diagrams fir obvious reasons.
Your bandit ignitor could be looking for this circuit before it allows spark

evilkarl
17-07-2011, 01:18 PM
Why not just use the 750 CDI? I've got a 7/12 using a Slabby chassis and used the stock 750's CDI, works perfect.
Flat spot is simply a jetting issue.

Deano
17-07-2011, 05:26 PM
I agree. The flat spot will be needle related. What jetting did you do when you converted the carbs to allow for the larger motor

Also the 750 rev limit may lunch your b12 if you hit it to many times. I would use the b12 ignitor if you can get it to work

sorry evilkarl not sure how i managed to edit your post. fixed it now. must be the small icons and my fat fingers trying to reply via my iphone

GSXR6
17-07-2011, 09:48 PM
Thanks to you both guys this is why i love this site.;) the jetting wqs standard uk jetting from 1990 with the original air box with a K&N filter it now has 130's in it as advised by a great guy on here . I did get the coloured wiring diagrams for both and even tho the wires are the same colours in alot of cases they don't all go to the same place so i think the pulse generator is the main problem. But I'll keep you informed guys and tell you how i get on, i would rather try the 1200 cdi just to see the difference hopefully i'll be able to keep the front end down LOL

Many thanks
Steven

Deano
17-07-2011, 10:46 PM
What did you do with the needles? Sounds lean on the needle jet

GSXR6
20-07-2011, 10:17 PM
Cheers Deano the needle jet is at 3 from the top and the jet is a 130 there is a black soot blowing back into the carbs and i found the air jet turned 8 full turns out while the rest were between 1.5 and 2 turn. So i have a bit of work to do and way more learning from you guys ;)

all the best guys
Steven