PDA

View Full Version : Air Monoshock?

Surt
16-07-2011, 05:06 PM
hi all for years ive been thinkin on using air shocks now its hi time to try one
expected +++ r weight savin once u use just a cyl and rod without [u]spring, oil and linkage</u> cos pressurised air has progressive characteristics
expected - is need to use a hand pump or rather aboard electric compessor not really a minus cos i gunna use air shifter as well
now any one in the know which air shock i should look at firstly ive run across harldlys 342mm shocks is it a good idea to use 1 for mono shock?

LKC73
18-07-2011, 12:09 AM
Surt, The air shocks in Hardleys are all for affect. They have really bad rebound effects and spring rates at different pressures. If your going to use and air shock for looks and looks alone. Then go for it, but dont exepect a bike to handle what so ever with adjustable air shock.
Also, these air shocks would need to run exact pressures to get your correct required spring rate, and to get that you would be best runing a digital air delivery set up to do so. The weight on these are shocks is stupidly heavy compaired to a normal bike shock. That is also thinking about the extra crap you would run with the air shock to keep it inflated.
They are also not really a shock, but more an air ram. My vote is keep well away on a bike mate.

I have spent alot of time (in the past) in help building and working with cars that ran air suspension and they where all a huge pain in the arss!

Surt
18-07-2011, 12:21 AM
thanks for ur hint Luke it makes sense! yup i've seen a lot of bike manufacturers from early 80s used air susp but stopped later obviously u saved me from throwin away a hundred bucks os so 1st time i see u i'll buy u a drink mate

Redmohawk
18-07-2011, 05:54 PM
Kwaka used air assisted mono shocks in the gpx600's of late 80's vintage, cheap on ebay if you can find one. They run from 10 to 50 psi with a 4 stage slide operated variable dampner. Weight is about the same for comparable spring only shocks of the same size.

Surt
19-07-2011, 02:09 AM
thanks Redmohawk yup ive seen em lots mate how good r they? u mean they weigh as a usual shock without a spring?

Redmohawk
19-07-2011, 06:04 AM
you might save about 500 grams mate.

Bastard
19-07-2011, 07:46 AM
Surt honda goldwing 1000 upto 1200cc had air shocks the 1100 and 1200 aspencades also had onboard pump operated from either a top yoke mounted panel or a panel mouted to the right of the fairing this pump did both front forks and rear shocks so might be of some use to you

Surt
20-07-2011, 02:28 AM
yup mate i saw em in plenty and cheap on ebay the questions the same: efficiency and weight saving