PDA

View Full Version : VIN number on old yamahas

MuZ
13-07-2011, 07:08 PM
last week i tried to do a revs check on the FJ1100 so i can make sure its all gooders before i go throwing my house deposit at it. What i found was the VIN number isnt a conventional 10, 15, or 17 digit number but a 9 digit one, so as you can imagine i had some trouble.
I did some research and found that alot of old yamahas had not a conventional vin no. but a frame serial number, like this.
50K-000289

Has anyone ever had one of these checked, and if so, how do you go about checking and was there any dramas getting it registered?

BANDITROD
13-07-2011, 07:42 PM
I take it you checked the number on the I'd plate? If so does the number on the front of the headstock match up if not check the frame number instead

MuZ
13-07-2011, 08:32 PM
theres no number on the headstock, but there is a number on the right side of the frame and it matches the number on the id plate same 9 digit number

BANDITROD
13-07-2011, 08:39 PM
That will be the one... did you just do the check online cos the online system is shit you are better off going into to wherever it is you lot go to to get it checked .....does that make sense

MuZ
13-07-2011, 09:39 PM
yeah i tried it online, and when it didnt work i emailed carhistory and they pretty much said they cant help me if i dont know the last rego number or state it was registered in. as far as i know it hasnt been registered for years and god knows which state let alone rego number.
i bought the bike of russ, i could probably ask him if he knows at least which state it was last regoed in.
and if he doest know and i cant get a history on the bike... well i guess its gonna be something for future muz to worry about

sharky
13-07-2011, 09:57 PM
It was rego'd in Qld last mate...and I'm 99% sure I did a revs check on it and it was clean (always do that on any car/bike I buy)

MuZ
13-07-2011, 10:10 PM
sweet deal russ, cheers mate. knowing that is a bonus, and if it comes up when its time for rego i can at least give them a state now