PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki experts needed!

damo1
09-07-2011, 02:33 PM
Aye guys scored a J1 zxr750 for a decent price and am trying to sort out a starting problem.

First Kawasaki ive owned should be something different.

The story of the bike is a little vaig but i know its been sitting for about 12mths.

It was apparently ridden to its resting place and then left.

I have pulled the carbs off pulled the pilot and main jets out and and cleaned them i have blown every thing i can see through with a air blower as well as well as cleaned the float bowls and had the slides out and checked as far as i can see everything.
Ive done this twice.And they look very clean.

Ive had the plugs our and cleaned them and put them back in ( yes i know tight arse)
i was unsure about about the fuel pump but after having the carbs back on they filled with fuel so it must be pumping fuel to them.

When i'm kicking it over there is nothing at all- if i spray "start ya bastard" Straight into the carbs it will fire brefly.

This then tells me that its definately a fuel issue.

Am i missing something??

Anyhelp will be greatly appreciated, i'm going nuts

BANDITROD
09-07-2011, 03:25 PM
I just had a similar prob withthe zx6 that I am putting together but it just took ages for me to prime it up and once fired it was fine .... Saying that fuel pumps were an issue in that era I think Timbo fitted an aftermarket one to his bike and it's still going strong so that might be a good starting point

Yella
09-07-2011, 03:42 PM
Yep I would check ya fuel pump is getting power and is building correct pressure. The 'P' model fuel pump comes on when the starter button is pressed and or when the engine is running so it does not prime prior to start up.
Have you checked the plugs to make sure thay are getting a good spark?

pav69
09-07-2011, 04:19 PM
i recently had a problem like this ,i had a knacked o ring in the fuel tap which was sucking air in and it didnt run .but pour fuel straight into line and it would run replaced o ring and its all good.

damo1
09-07-2011, 04:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by yella

Yep I would check ya fuel pump is getting power and is building correct pressure. The 'P' model fuel pump comes on when the starter button is pressed and or when the engine is running so it does not prime prior to start up.
Have you checked the plugs to make sure thay are getting a good spark?

Whats a p model fuel pump? you talking about a p model bike??

As i said previously im pretty sure its working as the carbs fill up with fuel again after refitting after having them striped.
That should tell me its working right??

And the plugs are sparking as i mentioned it fires into life with a shoot of start ya bastard.

I can only think that maybe its something like bandit rod was saying and it needs a long time to prime it, or there is a problem from the float bowl to the ???????? fuck if i know whats going on with it.

How can i check the fuel pressure in the fuel pump??

Yella
09-07-2011, 05:46 PM
Yep sorry 'P' model zx7.
You will need to 'T' into the fuel line with a gauge,
I should have enough bits to make a test hose up if you want to borrow one.
I could get mine to fire for a short time with 'start ya bastard' but wouldn't run on fuel ended up being the plug's.
When I tested with the plugs out it would spark but was very weak.

damo1
09-07-2011, 06:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by yella

Yep sorry 'P' model zx7.
You will need to 'T' into the fuel line with a gauge,
I should have enough bits to make a test hose up if you want to borrow one.
I could get mine to fire for a short time with 'start ya bastard' but wouldn't run on fuel ended up being the plug's.
When I tested with the plugs out it would spark but was very weak.

Ive been reading up on it on the web, seems it's a common problem.

I'm gonna hard wire the fuel pump tomorrow and even see if it's workimng properly.

Then ive read blocked emolsion tubes as well so back out with the carbs and check them.

Where you at Yella?? Im in Sydney.

cheers damo

Yella
09-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Western Sydney

Booster
09-07-2011, 06:29 PM
Souds like my zx6 too, took forever to prime if the carbs were drained, some fuel in the bottom of the carbs is not good enough they need to be full .. hardwiring the pump is a good move ...should get you going

damo1
10-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Ok finally got it sorted.

This is what i did:

*I set a funnel with a small peice of fuel line to the filter and filled with fuel.

* i hard wired the pump straight from the battery and kept pumping fuel through until the pump was under load you could hear the difference between free flowing and when the float bowls were obviously full.

* i had to keep topping up the fuel in the funnel as it went down.

*Quick spray of areo start and the thing fired up instantly.

Thanks for the feedback guys, it seems that re fuelling the carbs after draining is a problem on these and the 6's by the sounds.

Cheers damo

BANDITROD
10-07-2011, 02:38 PM
That's how I primed the 6 I have aswell

mr.zxr
18-07-2011, 09:30 PM
glad you got it running. theepump in the zxr's are a self regulating diaphram pump. they have a little set of points in the end which burn out. i got stuck once. i think i bent the tab on the points to get a better contact to get me home.