PDA

View Full Version : Fucking idiot previous owners

megareg
27-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I guess its happened to everyone at some stage or other, you buy a 2nd hand machine and then as you are replacing parts, you find bodgied fixes...

I decided to replace my worn-out chain this morning, which went well, and since I was in that general area, I also decided to replace the undersized, illegal disc and put on a 40 tooth rear sprocket which was in better nick than the 42 I had on, the disc replaced easy, but when I started on the sprocket.... the tool that had it before me had obviously not tightened up the bolts enough at some stage.. the holes in the hub are oval, bodgy bolts holding it on too, it had worn the hub where the sprocket sits so there is a chance of the sprocket not being centered on the hub... I will be ordering a new one shortly... and bolts too!....
I have been slowly doing this bike up (I love riding it), its taking a while and just about everything I touch has been fucked up somewhere along the line... some cunts should never own a motorcycle,let alone actually riding one...

Any others out there had "previous" fuckwit owner problems??

Ahhh...there..., I feel better now.... I think I'll ride up to Mt. Glorious for lunch now.

Cheers..

Gix11
27-03-2007, 12:52 PM
A theme with every bike I have ever bought has been the sump plug. Seems like the only thing Joe Blow is willing to attempt to do himself is an oil change. Joe Blow also believes that the sump plug needs doing up with a 5 foot extension bar on his socket and taking it to about 250Nm and so fucking up the plug and having to retap a new hole that never works.

By the way Reg, those two shirts are on their way to Canada.

27-03-2007, 01:30 PM
DON`T get me started[}:)]

GammaBoy
27-03-2007, 02:56 PM
If its the cush drive hub for a Katana/GSX, I've got a spare floating around I think?

megareg
27-03-2007, 04:40 PM
quote:Originally posted by GammaBoy

If its the cush drive hub for a Katana/GSX, I've got a spare floating around I think?

It is, if its in good nick i.e. bolt holes not oval, and you want to part with it... let me know.

Thank Gix, I hope there is enough to cover your costs etc.
And also, just like you, the fucking tool also had stripped out the oil drain plug, then just drilled out or just wound in a bigger plug.. complete with fucked up fibre washer, the new thread is too big to helicoil, I have a new sump cover ready to go on...

Oh, and lunch was good.
Cheers.

GammaBoy
27-03-2007, 07:21 PM
I'll try to check it out tonight for you...

Jockney Rebel
27-03-2007, 09:24 PM
ive ridden /owned too many dogs to accuse any one person of fuckin dodgy repairs more like a conspiracy of bodge artists

example : 1983 CX500 [:p] my work dog back in 91 when i was trolloing the streets of london for a livin {delivering parcels u pervs[:o)] } after 3 weeks of ownership ..its a monday pissin down with rain ,,i hear a god awful grindin sound from the rear followed by a complete lack of forward momentum

i surmise that there is a problem with the drive train and after getting ferried home decide to investigat it

i find that the splines on the diff are shot so i buy another diff [this is very unusual for CX s im told ] i ride off the thing nagging me was how difficult it was to line up the back wheel specially as it has no adjustment[?] ..never mind its ok now :)

2 days later ..its pissin down again ,,this time im empty in hertford ..diff goes again [V]...
ferried home etc etc

this time i investigate further ..i have a spare rear end from another cx so i measure the distance between the forks of the swing arm there is a 25 mm difference and a spacer adrift or rather a smaller spacer fitted
some dickhead welded up the arm cause it had rotted thru and set it too narrow so instead of doin again properly just cut down the spacer and threw it together then sold it to me ..the resultinf twisted arm means tre diff doesnt line up in the splines and self destucts every couple of weeks

ta mate...before u ask he moved ..untraceable:(

27-03-2007, 09:50 PM
Yeah, my current 9 is another example, EVERY nut/bolt on it was loctited, I mean every fucking one, even the cam cover, wheel nuts etc etc etc. But to top it all off, when I pulled the fairing off and inspected a crack around the left indicator, he'd repaired it with wood filler, I mean ffs wood filler? No wonder the fucken thing cracked after a couple of hard rides on dirt roads.

I had a GS1100GK which had the same drive gear problem, and yeah somebody had put in a machined spacer ~3mm too long. Open her up and every now and then all you got was a depressing whirr. Thankfully I'd figured that one out before I put on a 4-1, air pods, dynajet, coils etc. Then it was a hoot to ride. Brakes were still real dodgy though :D

The worst case though was an XV1000RH, that thing was a bodgy, ill handling, underperforming, piece of shit out of the factory :D

madmaxman1986
28-03-2007, 01:29 AM
i bought my ratfighter salvage to save dough. I went through it pretty good but when I finally got to tearing into when the snow fell, I found out EVERYTHING WAS LOSE! The front gear was almost HAND tight! It should have been at 96 Nm! That was just the tip of the iceberg. Since it was at a wrecker, I bet ya they were in the process of dismantling it! I'm lucky as hell I did't see the pavement, I rode it for about 200km.[:0]

megareg
28-03-2007, 06:03 AM
The worrying thing about some of the "expert" previous owner "mechanics" is the safety aspect, it does not take too much imagination to see what an arse-end lockup would do if you were giving it the berries around a corner with a 348.5 ton semi-trailer truck coming the other way.. another thing with mine is that I have found metal swarf under the anti-dive bleed nipple!.. WFT!

megareg
28-03-2007, 06:16 AM
Oh, and another one in the safety dept. When I went to "mad Micks" for a new front tyre, I wondered why there were no washers on the bolts holding the left hand caliper on, I put some washers on it when I put it back on, tightened it up and promptly stripped the threads... the bolts were held on by only a couple of threads! fortunately Mick had a helicoil kit that fitted ok.... helicoils are my friend!

GammaBoy
28-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Checked the cushdrive out, didn't get around to pulling the sprocket off it, it looks ok but...

Hillsy
28-03-2007, 12:28 PM
My old EFE motor had a stuffed big end, and I found out why when I pulled her apart - previous genious owner (or mechanic) had put a HEAVIER gudgeon pin in the offending rod......thanks heaps......

megareg
28-03-2007, 02:39 PM

Checked the cushdrive out, didn't get around to pulling the sprocket off it, it looks ok but...

Yeah, ta, if you have a look at the head of the bolts, they are square and have the Suzuki "S" on them, where they fit should have no signs of wear and look as though they will not spin when the nut is loosened/tightened, but I guess the ultimate answer is to remove the sprocket!

I remember in the mid '80's, having a bit of a trot with a Gamma over Mt. Victoria to Katoomba, I was on my 1100 Kat and just could not catch it, too good for me.. don't sell it.. bit of a classic.

Cheers

GammaBoy
29-03-2007, 09:39 AM
Yeah, its the propper square headed bolts and everything. Should get a chance to pull the sprocket tonight.

Its crazy, I went from unloading a GSX1100 into my backyard to riding the Gamma the next day, and it felt like a little 125 GP bike... then I got to work, and the Exec assistant girl's 99 R6 felt bigger but lighter (even though a Gamma is only 156Kg dry... )
I figure in a straight line my Kat should see off the Gamma with ease, but the Gamma will actually turn...

megareg
29-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Sounds good, I'm back at work now and they won't let me out of this funny farm until Good Friday, I'll have to catch up with you the Saturday or Sunday, Where are you located??

Those RG500's could motor along pretty well, and go around corners too, but a Kat does it for me, even with a smaller back sprocket now, it still pulls like a 16 year old.

I like your stumpy Yoshie too, I'll be aiming for something like that too.
Cheers.

31-03-2007, 11:01 AM

Yeah, its the propper square headed bolts and everything. Should get a chance to pull the sprocket tonight.

Its crazy, I went from unloading a GSX1100 into my backyard to riding the Gamma the next day, and it felt like a little 125 GP bike... then I got to work, and the Exec assistant girl's 99 R6 felt bigger but lighter (even though a Gamma is only 156Kg dry... )
I figure in a straight line my Kat should see off the Gamma with ease, but the Gamma will actually turn...

Some years ago (well an awful long time ago) I used to ride a GSX11 out into the country and go horse riding for most of the day. At the end of it I'd jump on the bike to ride home and it would feel like a little stroke, I'd be throwing the mother all over the place on dirt roads most of the way home. It was great, loved that feeling.