PDA

View Full Version : Screen from scratch

pt
04-07-2011, 08:18 PM
I'm wanting to create a small screen for the top of my headlight unit. I have no idea aout what type of plastic to use or how to shape. I remember i high school we used a bar heater to shape some shitty peices of plastic. With the right plastic and a mould will it be possible to heat in the oven? Or should i go for fibreglass? Don't have a great deal of experience with that either....

rgv4play
05-07-2011, 04:53 PM
you can turn an old 4 slice toaster into a nice perspex heater to shape, use an old windshield of any bike as it should have plenty of material to make the visor out of, i made mine but used the natural curve of the visor and used some map gas and a stanley knife to cut it out. took awhile but i tried a diegrinder and made a right old mess out of the first one.

Tony Nitrous
05-07-2011, 05:55 PM
I tried different height screen's on my Kat,
I cut up old screens / perspex / whatever I had,
then found a local guy to copy them in carbon fibre.
Cash job when the boss wasnt there.

He did me a matching headlight cover and a few other bits.

Screen was always going to be too small/low to see through.

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5633/sandl.jpg

Redmohawk
05-07-2011, 06:19 PM
Lexan is the brand name of the stuff you want , its perspex not acrilic softer but impact resistant and yep a kitchen oven will sofen it just fine for moulding. around 180 to 200 deg. A bit the size you need in 3 mm will set you back about $20 and come with plastic wrap on it to prevent scratches.

hyofighter
05-07-2011, 07:56 PM
another option cut up a enduro headlight , i made this one out of a wr450 headlight

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/104003936560092.jpg

pt
06-07-2011, 11:28 AM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f274/petieg/Bike%20Photos/king2.jpg

this is what i want to put it on if that helps. Lexan sounds good but 180-200 degrees poses a problem. Not sure i can make a mould that will withstand that....

Tonys idea sounds good, it won't be high enough for me to need to see through it anyway... Better get my fibreglassing skills on!

Redmohawk
06-07-2011, 07:15 PM
house hold oven and car bog/plaster works just fine.

Tony Nitrous
06-07-2011, 07:25 PM
I like the Busa forks and new guard too....[8D]

pt
07-07-2011, 10:01 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony Nitrous

I like the Busa forks and new guard too....[8D]

had them for a while but thanks! If you want to get rid of your Bking guard, k4-5 1000 fits straight on b-king or busa forks... Still need them re-sprung though and i'm only 85kg fully loaded[V]

Thanks redmo, will try the bog. If i want tinted, does that survive the heat?

Redmohawk
08-07-2011, 04:19 PM
Eather tint after with film or internally tinted plastic is the go. Heat on a flat tray in oven with a layer of wax paper under it, is a bit like painting , the smoother the finish of the mold the better the finish of the plastic.

mr.zxr
18-07-2011, 09:37 PM
i made a small screen once. i used balsa wood and shaped it with a sander.i heated the lexan in the oven then pulled it over the balsa to get the shape. cut off the excess and it was done. i might have used a heat gun to keep it workable...can't remember.