PDA

View Full Version : mmmm sunday...

NakedTurboBusa
25-03-2007, 07:22 PM
I just had the most enlightning day...

whislt removing my themoastat, i felt some fuel on my hand under the fuel tap, I thought, cause the tank was up, that an overflow was loose ( also cause the cap off for painting)..... then BANG fuel spewing out over every thing, I sqeezed the fuel to stop it i felt a big hole... FUCK,,, could not reach anything so I let it go, and grabed a lebo steak knive ( by good uncle stanley)chopped it lifted tank off tilted it sideways... fuck again... fuel poored out the top.

Upon inspection.. fuel line from tap had a 1 cm worn slit that had been waiting for me to go on AFR... then split, piss fuel, and have me and bike onfire.... ( could have been good video time, and fucking funny for spectators. FAULT,, unsure 3 suspects... the hose had also been spiral twisted,a full turn, in the spring....CUNT!

Today I had a lucky break... The GODs of ASF watching over

The hose twist also explains lean outs under boost( very very very bad) Ive had boost turn way down for a few months until i could find money and Dyno time.....

Also could explain strange heat issues that have been on /off...

It was a good learning day in the shed, without fire!! AHHHH wheres the beer, bong, etc

Cheers

Pete

sharky
25-03-2007, 07:31 PM
Fookin lucky mate. I had a pinhole leak in the tank of my fj12 custom frame bike in the uk. Filled up, just leaving servo, heading out on slip road to motorway.......mmm flames around headstock !!!
Full tank (5 gallons)heated fuel spraying out of breather pipe...WHOOSH.....nothing left except the bottle of vodka in my sleeping bag had got 'shrink wrapped'.

fimpBIKES
25-03-2007, 07:57 PM
lucky break huh

dont worry mate, if anyhing goes wrong on the run
i will happily give u a double!

ps- how do u feel about sitting on a horn....

zx12argh
25-03-2007, 08:05 PM
Lucky mate - that could have ended in all kinds of fun...[xx(]

I've had a fuel leak on my bike when riding and not noticed till 1/4 tank was gone.
No flames it was pouring down the side of the engine so just fucked my paint. Stopped the bike and pushed it 10 metres off the side of the road where just then the front sprocket and chain fell off.

Seems the workshop who had serviced it 100kms ago(names will not be mentioned - yet) had not put the locking nut back on and the fuel washed off all the grease and any dirt around the nut so it nicely spun off almost taking the front sprocket off with it. :(

That would have been interesting at 120 k an hour...[xx(]

WATEVR
25-03-2007, 10:21 PM
picked my bike up after being service by racebike tuning shop (big dollar establishment)and was riding to work and all was running sweet. performed the mandatory lanesplit and was waiting for the lights to change and as soon as they went green i took off pretty hard and the back stepped out sideways and i was thinking shit these guys do a great fucken job!! pulled up at work got off and then realized they hadnot reconnected the fuel line correctly and fuel was pissing out all over the bike and accross the exhaust...fuck fuck fuck. fortunately it didnt catch a light and the zx lived to ride another day but fuck i thought she was a goona!!

sharky
25-03-2007, 10:42 PM
Don't know if anyone is aware but unleaded is more prone to igniting by heat than leaded. 'least thats what the fireman told me a few days after my 'incident'. Thats why they hose down cars long after the fire is out.
After I put out my bike, fuel was still spewing out the pipe and whoosh a second time....just from the heat..no spark, nothing, just a load of hot metal.....
Thats why I am paranoid about fuel leaks...

Tony Nitrous
25-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Never had the problem myself but have read a couple of topics
on Busa Forums about fuel lines, such as....

If you buy an original hose from Mr Suzuki, you will find that the tank end of the hose has a molded kink in it.
It is imperitive that the hose is fitted to the tank with the kink facing in the correct direction and that you position the body of the hose downwards and around the sump breather hose that runs up to the airbox. Thereby not putting any pressure on the hose to want to buckle when it heats up.
You also have to ensure that the clamp around the tank nipple is as tight as a NUN'S nether regions to stop the hose from twisting and therefore kinking at the joint.
This should stop your hot weather problems.
If you fit the hose in any way other than the original position, it will kink when hot- guaranteed. This causes the bike to hesitate or stall when hot.

http://www.australian-hayabusa-club.com