PDA

View Full Version : full comp insurance???

ALBI
26-06-2011, 05:19 PM
[?]alright as the title sugest's "INSURRANCE"
who has got full comp insurrance for their fighter??
who has provided it?

swann wont touch the TL "modified"[}:)]

qbe wouldnt let the end of application go through!!:(

aami- full insurance ,provided it's stock[xx(]

in-sure my ride the same [:0]

shannons said no prob at all ,very low rate ;)modified ok[:p]just need enginerrs cert [B)]doh.

i had a close call the other day and now because i want to and need to ride my bike to work everyday,i have to get her insurred:(

just not i a postion to buy another bike or cheap car for work[V]

so only option at the moe is to "GULP, re-fit stock parts[:0]"to get it insurred ,normaly id just do it and let them see the bike as some of them have requested[?] with it's cloths on but that would meen painting the stock fairing and fitting it ,FARKKKKKK and with the tl using sooo much fuggin fuel 'still only getting , well it was 104klms with light on and reserve but now since new coolant temp sensor fitted starts better and klms up to 120kmls on average,better but still shit!!

so know in a deilema :(:(

so who and what you got?????? other wise id be better fucking the tl off and getting a bike ,what the sence in owning a stock bike so to speak!![V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V]

sharky
26-06-2011, 06:05 PM
What mods require the eng. cert ?
I'm with shannons and didnt need anything...just told them what was done...new usd front end etc

Big Dan
26-06-2011, 06:09 PM
Fuck im thirsty ALBI where ya been[:p] I know a bloke that works for shannons he should be up my way this week ill have a talk to him and see what he can do for ya. Ill see if he can call into your place one arvo and have a look at it for ya or you will have to bring it up to the workshop[8D]

ALBI
26-06-2011, 07:23 PM
top clamp apparently??
it has changed the rideing positon,weight transfer etc

hey sharky if you change the braking from std it has to be enginerred mate according to the enginerr im chating to.
the donor vehicle must wheigh the same or more and if that item is avail on the bike being modified as std !in cluding the front shocks now shannons has and will take our money and insure but if/when involved in an accident sharky and NO enginerring cert for the mods WILL VOID THE INSURRANCE
read vsi guidelines for mod to a motorcycle in nsw no 28 appendix "7"
go to http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html?rlid=17
vsi 28!!!

ALBI
26-06-2011, 07:24 PM
opps dan hows tuesday arvo mate about 5ish??
cant find ur mob no to call you id call you at work but you not there at the moe

sharky
26-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Must be different in NSW mate 'cos I asked lots of questions and no cert was required. The R1 brakes and wheels are used on later XJR's so no issue with them. (they were told they were from those later models) and the forks have uprated springs for the extra weight of the bike.

Tony Nitrous
26-06-2011, 08:35 PM
No drama's with my Busa with Shannon's.
Nothing major, but top yolk conversion, braided lines,
Renthals were all listed and given the OK.

Iceman
26-06-2011, 08:41 PM
Shannon's said they'd cover my fighter, I told them it was turbo and it wasn't a problem.

ALBI
26-06-2011, 08:52 PM
i hear ya tony shannons told me the same not a prob!!
but when he asked if top yoke was certified that threw me.
when i used to do blue slip's we'd have blokes come in with vans "ie;hiaces and had 18" 19" wheels and tyres fully insurred ,but as it is a comercial vehical, tyres need to be rated! most need light truck tyres! same as some 4wd's and ute's all insured ,not a prob but when a claim was placed they where knocked back for incorrect tyres and deemed shouldnt be on the road and the accident repair was knocked back ?"used to work for a panel shop for a while and when geoff used to say you need to talk to ur insurer as it has been knocked back ,they where a bit pissed off!!

sharky that is why youres is ok i spose as it was used later on!!

with commodores for example take the HSV big fuck off brakes ,bolts on no mod's need to fit "well wheel's" but voids ur insurrance in an accident unless certified ! why commodores didnt come out with them at all !! only HSV's .still a dunnydore ?? well no apparently HSV are sepperate,"unless that has been changed since 2008!!

robmac
26-06-2011, 08:57 PM
I went thru this a while back and to legally insure my bike all the mods had to be engineered. Didn't matter that the swingarm came off a newer model heavier bike (so obviously strong enough as my bike weighs alot less) or the fact that the brakes and front end were off a bike 15 yrs newer and revalved accordingly and certainly stopped a shedload quicker than it used to.

QLD transport wanted plan drawings of the frame/swingarm/subframe, what materials they were made from and how they satisfied ADR's....all signed off by an engineer..then I could legally get insurance. The insurance companies I contacted were happy to take my money but after reading the fine print it pretty much clearly stated I wouldn't be insured if the mods weren't 'legal'. To get it done properly it was going to cost me $1000's..

They don't make it easy! I've never heard of anyone getting their insurance claim turned down because of modifications (on a bike anyway) but like anything, you pay your money, you take ur chances.

ALBI
26-06-2011, 09:10 PM
iceman youre in mexico tho !!! thats my point they say not a prob !! but when you read the RTA reg's http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_dl1.html?rlid=17 ????? if you read appendix 7 page 5 it clearly states

7. Frame or suspension modifications
Motor cycle design is a complex task. Before you modify your motor cycle’s frame or suspension, you
should be aware that structural changes to the frame, steering head, front forks, suspension, brakes or
wheels may load vital components well beyond the limits for which they were originally designed; this
will increase the probability of failure and will be a danger to the rider and to other road-users.
The RTA will register a modified motor cycle with a properly designed custom frame, extended forks
and structural modifications but only if submitted with a report from a recognised engineering signatory,
detailing the changes and showing that the changes have not made the cycle unsafe.
It is recommended that you seek the advice of an engineering signatory before the modification is
commenced. Vehicle Standards Information sheet No. 15 “Engineering Signatories” lists engineering
signatories recognised by the RTA.

so i belive the RTA and 4 different signitories in NSW that i have called and told them of the top clamp "that isnt avail on any TL1000s or any other motorcycle in a standard fittmant ,as our top yokes are CNC from billet and havent met adr approval
can and will be an issue if we have an accident !!
now you tell me that shannons dont know this?? yes mr iceman well take ur money yes mr nitrous well take ur money and yes mr albi well have ur money ! oh by the way ,because you had that cnc billet yoke on and its not certifeid buy an autherised signitorie and been tested "oh and get this one guy up here in newy said we had to hire WSID "western sydney international dragway" to carry out lateral forces and brake testing and swerve testing just to get my top yoke passed WTF???if you raise a 4wd by more than 2 inchs and that includes tyres and body and suspention it needs an cert and if by memory you go higher than 6 inch you need to do the same testing!!! you can still get that 4wd insurred but in an claim it may/can be knocked back.

ALBI
26-06-2011, 09:19 PM
robmac youre dead right mate

i dont know about anyone else but i dont like to gamble with my house!! if i come off and take out an bmw,ferrari,commodore,hyndai exel etc etc thinking my insurrance will take care of it you tell me they wont try to find a way out of paying ? it's their job to make monies and thats how they make it.

then im having to pay for the whole thing ,how ?? idont have that money so house will have to be sold for a start !!!

so what do we do gamble or do ???? im dealing with an new engineer now to go about making it legal but farkkkkkk i dont have $1500 at the moe to pay for this if i had the money man id hit the bike hard cool mask,radial forks,new rotors,pc3,just to name a few.

im realy interested in mechanical engineering and was going to do a deg so i can do this shit and get paid for it but !!!!
you need to be smart
shop S_MART lol

ALBI
26-06-2011, 09:30 PM
but then i read this at the bottom of the RTA doccument

A WORD OF ADVICE: CHECK WITH YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY BEFORE MAKING
ANY CHANGES TO YOUR MOTOR CYCLE AS SOME MODIFICATIONS MIGHT MAKE
YOUR INSURANCE COVER VOID

so if shannons says yes ??

and the rta says

7. Frame or suspension modifications
Motor cycle design is a complex task. Before you modify your motor cycle’s frame or suspension, you
should be aware that structural changes to the frame, steering head, front forks, suspension, brakes or
wheels may load vital components well beyond the limits for which they were originally designed; this
will increase the probability of failure and will be a danger to the rider and to other road-users.
The RTA will register a modified motor cycle with a properly designed custom frame, extended forks
and structural modifications but only if submitted with a report from a recognised engineering signatory,
detailing the changes and showing that the changes have not made the cycle unsafe.
It is recommended that you seek the advice of an engineering signatory before the modification is
commenced. Vehicle Standards Information sheet No. 15 “Engineering Signatories” lists engineering
signatories recognised by the RTA
i need a bourban my head hurt's

Shadowzone
26-06-2011, 09:33 PM
I never had any issues with suncorp and mods and being paid out.

ALBI
26-06-2011, 09:35 PM
didnt think of suncorp !!as in suncorp metway?

Big Dan
26-06-2011, 11:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by ALBI

opps dan hows tuesday arvo mate about 5ish??
cant find ur mob no to call you id call you at work but you not there at the moe

Tuesday is good mate ill get micks number for you to ring at Shannons

fimpBIKES
26-06-2011, 11:33 PM
Shannon's wont ensure u if u ride it to work anyways will they?
Just buy a used cbr125 or something, cheap to insure and thrashable

fimpBIKES
26-06-2011, 11:35 PM
Oh, and my tlr was insured as stock
figured no-one would be able to tell what was left of it if I crashed properly!

Tony Nitrous
27-06-2011, 05:36 AM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

Shannon's wont ensure u if u ride it to work anyways will they?

They are not set in stone about this.
They dont want it to be a sole means of transport or a daily comutter.

They admit they would find it hard to inforce, in the same way
mine are on "limited use" and yet they know none of the mileage's.
They work on the theory the more bikes = less use each.

Fight_fan
27-06-2011, 07:38 AM
No one will insure my 7/11 for reasonable money as Im under 25! Most companies wouldnt even look at it due to mods. Shannons gave me a good price but can only do it after i turn 25. It fuckin sux! I got one quote and it was around 3k for full comp. I could crash the bike n re-build it for that!

fimpBIKES
27-06-2011, 12:26 PM
had trouble with shannons before when i didnt have any other registered vehicle to use for work
told them i commuted (a lie) and they still wouldnt give me insurance

also, we arent their "target demographic" remember!

Shadowzone
27-06-2011, 01:18 PM
quote:Originally posted by ALBI

didnt think of suncorp !!as in suncorp metway?

Yes mate:

http://www.suncorp.com.au/insurance?cmpid=SUN:GI:PI:NPS:SEM:20100501:045&2473PSEM

RevHead
27-06-2011, 02:48 PM
i had mine insured with SHANNONS only condition they wanted was less then 10,000k a year ,and as previously stated not to be ridden to work ,,was costing me $585 a year,but since i only ride it on the asf nfr ,and 1 of 2 rides anywhere else ,im considering buying another road bike for my general comute

ALBI
27-06-2011, 03:58 PM
hey fimp that is my prob if im not riding the bike everyday i get withdrawls !! seriosly!!id rather catch a train to work than buy a cheap bike and leave the tl at home, own a fighter ride the fighter. but sick of the fucking fuel!!

ALBI
27-06-2011, 03:59 PM
oh not a prob dan see ya tomoz,

sharky
28-06-2011, 08:28 PM
Spoke to shannons today...Asked specifically if eng. certs needed etc.
Reply was basically if mods don't make vehicle dangerous ie removing 1 brake disc etc no prob.
I asked about R1 USD forks with billet yokes...he asked if springs were uprated for extra weight...yes...no prob.

If the mods haven't caused or made worse the crash/claim then no prob.

ALBI
28-06-2011, 08:50 PM
hmmm sharky ill be finding out tomoz with shannons as bigdan gave me a no to call so ill work this out

ALBI
29-06-2011, 12:54 PM
JUST GOT OFF WITH SHANNONS AND WAS ADVISED TO SEEK/GET ENGINERRS CERT !!!
BECAUSE TOP YOKE IS AN "opps caps lock" not a factory part and is/has been machined from alloy,i was advised to get the cert as if im in an accident and a death or serious injruy to me ,pillian,pedestrian and or other driver,s a full coroners inquest will be held and if my bike has a non std part that DOES NOT have an cert will void insurance and i will be liable and up shit creek!!

i told him what if i just insure and go from there ?? he told me they "shannons" would still insure as it is my duty to inform if mod or not !! this is a freind of a member here who works for shannons .
and his words " get it certified as if you come to grief you WILL have a world of hurt"

so he is double checking it for me to make sure he is correct!!
if so i am removing the fighter parts and putting back to standard as i cant aford to get the cert at the moe

and the fighter parts will be up for sale

oh the pain "fairing "

Big Dan
29-06-2011, 01:45 PM
I got the pipes for you Al there siting here on my workshop floor. Matt said you can have them

ALBI
29-06-2011, 04:02 PM
sweet mate !! tell him i owe a few burbans!!

got of phone with shannons head supervisor

if an aftermarket top yoke is fitted and not a factory product, and if the state reglatory office"RTA" deems it an modifaction requireing an certifaicate,then a authorised signitory must provide an certifiacte othervise the insurrance is NULL IN-VOID!!
so if anyone in nsw has a top yoke mod like mine and you dont have it certified and its insurred ur fucked like me !!!

so on that bomb shell anyone want to buy my top yoke and bars and my twin headlight ????

RevHead
29-06-2011, 04:26 PM
really good to know albi cheers

Tony Nitrous
29-06-2011, 05:29 PM
Everyone has to make a choice where they draw the line.

Get a real arse of a cop who know's all the law's or a
very clue'd up insurance asseser and there would be VERY
few bikes on here that would pass as being 100% legal.

ALBI
29-06-2011, 07:31 PM
tell me about it tony !i had to make sure not to drop ASF during my conversation's or name's so as not to draw a line in the sand!!
the problem with a lot of cops tony is 25% are ex mechanic's and a lot of them do course's so they know what is a car and what is a bike .

fimpBIKES
29-06-2011, 11:22 PM
Interesting all this, it has come up many times in the past
You are definitely playing it safe, and like u said it's not worth risking the house

I weighed this all up last time I had to reform the tlr. I went with getting just third party with fire and theft. Is this an option for u?

Wondering now if I could have still gotten into trouble for mods...

ALBI
30-06-2011, 12:46 PM
conrad hmmm i forgot about fire and theft!! but then id have to pay my own repairs on bike but it may be worth a look ,its just that for insurance it has to be roadworthy and if mods and no cert then not roadworthy .but worth an other call

sharky
30-06-2011, 03:14 PM
Ok, Humble pie time...
Spoke to Shannons again and yes, 'check the small print sir..vehicle has to be legal and thats your responsibilty'
So all the brake/wheel parts are ok...just the yokes need to be passed...Gonna see what happens...got the form from the Transport and Main Roads...have to fill it in and send it off...they will then say what is needed.

ALBI
30-06-2011, 10:15 PM
that's the yoke
the whole yoke
and nuttin but the yoke !!!
so did ur but hole tighten up aswell well you got the verdict on the phone??
in NSW all i have to do is deal with an enginerr pay him a bucket o money for a weee little bit o paper,
then go to RTA so they can put said cert no on the rego paper's and re-call shannon's for full coverage and have happy ball tearing,police chase,caught on TV fun !!!

opps i meen ride to work .
mate i hope you dont think i was rattling ur cage?

i just dont want to see any members get caught with thier pant's down and have to sell their soul to pay for some parasite lawyer.

sharky
22-07-2011, 12:03 PM
UPDATE Gonna cost me all of $300 to get the front end certified, less if I do the initial application myself.....easy as:)

ALBI
13-09-2012, 08:48 PM
bugger me holy thread revial by me !!

who has full comp insurance and were you asked for pics or for them to see ??

mine is fully insurred with everything on it custom paint ,and all the custom bling!!

my insurer doesnt want a pic and dont want to see??

so today i asked because of all the 1 off custom bits,and also custom parts , can i get a discount and or lower premium??

NO THEY SAID ??

and they asked why we should ,fair call!!

with all the custom and 1 of stuff who would steal her ?? who!!!

cant sell the rad gaurd,body work,number plate holder,engine,acewell mount,frame,harness ive even got my licence number engraved into all plastics and some suspention parts.
so its compleatly useless to any one else including the seats.

and they replied

just makes it more wanted ???????

Gix11
13-09-2012, 09:10 PM
Who was that insurance mob?

ALBI
13-09-2012, 09:20 PM
AAMI
all our insurances are with allianz but they dont do bikes

RevHead
13-09-2012, 09:35 PM
i got Shannons on the busa,

EVLZX
13-09-2012, 10:25 PM
bugger me holy thread revial by me !!

who has full comp insurance and were you asked for pics or for them to see ??

mine is fully insurred with everything on it custom paint ,and all the custom bling!!

Full comp, bikes basically stock except pcv exhaust etc but I've got it all listed as accessories.
Never been asked for photos, is that something they used to do?
Or maybe for higher value vehicles?

ALBI
13-09-2012, 10:28 PM
they used to veiw them !!
i had a gs1100 and had to show them so they can check id plate and take pics !

EVLZX
13-09-2012, 10:34 PM
Yeah but these days with everything being online it's easier for them to confirm details.

EVLZX
13-09-2012, 10:46 PM
I guess they rely more on the RTA etc to do their dirty work, all they do is take you're money and try and avoid giving it back.

RevHead
13-09-2012, 10:54 PM
the rta,rms dont give a fuck about what your bike looks like ,the only people who care are the cocks in the highway patrol cars ,with there never ending fines and defects

ALBI
13-09-2012, 10:59 PM
Yeh i just want to make sure my ride is safe and if parts end up for sale on fleebay if it gets knocked off,dont know how that silly fucker will explain it lol.
I have all the usual shit to prevent,maybee a little more but im not telling lol
im claiming the acco from work and the chap at aami said yeh mate not a prob send to pannel shop for qoute ,but when i told him umm dont forget that it has custom pinstriping,he replied yeh so !!
We probly wont pay a shop we will just pay you out with cash ????
Im asuming so warrenty on repairs is needed from them!!

wackyrider
14-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Might need to speak to an engineer when I get the Gixxer done by the looks of things...

ALBI
14-09-2012, 05:39 PM
hope ur plate surounds are legal lol

Bob
14-09-2012, 07:46 PM
All of the vehicles in my house are on shannons. Even with the mods to them.

ALBI
14-09-2012, 09:26 PM
hey bob do they cover ridding gear if stolen ??
ive only got $2000 coverage if damaged in a acco!!!
but nil if stolen ,of bike .