PDA

View Full Version : Rego with a turbo

Yella
16-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Figured I would ask the question seeing as I am getting close to being on the road again.
What have people done about rego with a turbo fitted?
Any hassles getting passed for inspections?
Hassles with cops?
ETC just wondering, I have my own idea's on the subject just seeing what the norm is or what problems people have come across and how they got round them.
I am in NSW but happy to see what happens in other states aswell

BANDITROD
16-06-2011, 11:00 PM
I'm in Vic and technically you need and engineers report down here not sure about up your way

nick76
16-06-2011, 11:33 PM
I reckon i would've got it rego'd first,then turbo'd it.
Anything thats not standard could give you headaches??
Saves you from what will probably end up being a fuck around??

Iceman
17-06-2011, 06:23 AM
mine's still LAMS approved. (but what they don't know, doesn't hurt me)

crazymofo
17-06-2011, 07:21 AM
the only issue is if its not engineered, your insurance is greatly affected even to the point a claim would be denied (particually bad if your at fault), as your driving a unapproved and unroadworthy vehicle.

its not hard to get engineered... contact your department of transport, and they will point you in the direction of an approved engineer to sign off. they usually look for brake upgrades mainly but some will ask for you to improve the suspension to go with the hop up in power. all of which you should be doing anyways.

cheers.joe.

Gitzy
17-06-2011, 07:50 AM
Slighty Off Topic and minor thread hijack, But Joe is your email not working or do you just not like me anymore? :(

mr.zxr
18-06-2011, 07:35 AM
Engineering is the way to go. can be tricky though. they are supposed to do sound, emissions, and alot of other shit. i know airfilters have to enclosed, so pod filters on the turbo are a problem.

crazymofo
18-06-2011, 08:16 AM
eh? emails fine gitzy? ive been waiting your response lol
still want a radiator guard?

cheers.joe.

Deano
18-06-2011, 09:00 AM
I am getting mine engineered that way I don't have to worry about getting pulled up or if I sell the bike it won't be a hassle. He is checking for everything tho. ADR indicators and there locations. ADR head light. ADR brake light ADr number plate light. Heat shields on turbo stuff if need be. Accuracy of speedo. Wiring. Basically checking erred relevant ADR.
I have taken pics and sent them to him and asked him about the pod filter and he said it was fine

Yella
30-06-2011, 04:49 PM
Quick call today to AKZ Engineering cost of a certificate will be around $1200. What is the going rate?
Only thing he asked about was brake capacity, I told him I had braided lines and upgraded pads and he seemed to think it would be OK maybe need some additional info rotor size ETC to confirm.

BANDITROD
30-06-2011, 04:52 PM
I got a quote off a guy down here it was about $800

Deano
30-06-2011, 05:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

I got a quote off a guy down here it was about $800

Same. Mine is going to be bout $850. Make it a non pillion bike and hat should be a good enough brake upgrade

Fight_fan
01-07-2011, 07:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by yella

Quick call today to AKZ Engineering cost of a certificate will be around $1200. What is the going rate?
Only thing he asked about was brake capacity, I told him I had braided lines and upgraded pads and he seemed to think it would be OK maybe need some additional info rotor size ETC to confirm.

AKZ Engineering did my cert on my 7/11. The guy is really nice & he rides too so he knows what he's talking about! U cant go wrong with him!

mr.zxr
01-07-2011, 10:29 PM
i paid about $900 years ago. $1200 seems about right with all the mods you've done.