PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in the music/sound engineer business ?

sharky
11-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Ok, Serious topic...
The girlfriends son had been started a 'Music performance and audio engineering' course..He's a talented drummer and it's his dream etc...
He needed to apply for a student grant to finance his course..but needed citizenship...College said he could 'unofficially' continue coming in couple of days a week, keep up on course work etc so he wouldn't get left behind..

So he does all they ask, working part time to pay for bus fares, books etc...

Then the college announces 'sorry, no mid term course...see ya next march'..
So as you can imagine he's pretty pissed off..

If he could find a job (Castle Hill/Sydney area) that in some way ties in with his planned course it would keep help his dream alive...

He's a genuine hard working kid, took a job he hated to pay for his college stuff and feels totally let down by the college...

So does anyone out there have any contacts or work in a field that has connections to or would be useful as background to his plans ?
Or even suggest a job that would fit the above ??

Anakist
13-06-2011, 04:35 PM
I know All Access Crewing has a Sydney branch. There isn't any audio work to start, but it is in the industry and being a roadie is fun! The Brisbane crew are awesome, but I don't know anyone in the Sydney crew, and I am not comfortable giving my recommendation to someone I have never met.

www.allaccess.com.au/

IME they are always looking for people, and the hard workers get picked out pretty early for more, and better, gigs.

James

sharky
13-06-2011, 06:39 PM
Cheers mate, I'll pass it on. Don't know why I didn't think of that myself...used to be a roadie in the uk for a while...

Jockney Rebel
16-06-2011, 06:15 PM
poor bastard does he know hes gonna be the only one in the band with a van and hell have to do all the driving while the rest of em get pissed and then he wont even get laid ......:D

sharky
16-06-2011, 07:21 PM
You were obviously doing it wrong mate....I was the man with the van.....[:p]

Jockney Rebel
18-06-2011, 08:21 PM
yeah but i had to play too ...we skint hippies cant afford roadies lol

Gix11
27-06-2011, 04:19 PM
If he was fully trained I have contacts at Alberts once he's trained but as he's a student that won't help for now. Tell him to learn Protools back to front and master setting up mics then do lots of practising with sounds. I used to work in a studio back in England and all the college grads were fuckwits. The studio hired drop kicks like me who had done the hard yards and had a real passion and would work for cheap. His best bet is to skip the course and knock on the doors looking for small duties. Once in, your part of the family and you'll move in that way.

hooligan
29-06-2011, 12:34 PM
Sharky, I'm just about to PM you a possible contact. One of the guys who does the smoke detectors for the fit outs I do also sets up gigs as his other job - just did stuff for ministry of sound. I asked him for info, and he offerered to let the kid come along and help out to see if it's the kind of thing he really wants to do.