PDA

View Full Version : On the computer a lot? Wanna help cure cancer etc?

JackTar
09-06-2011, 11:17 PM
If you are and you do go and have a look at this site, it is a program that takes up bugger all resources on your puter, runs in the background and helps nerds with nerdy stuff to help study different diseases.

http://folding.stanford.edu/English/Main

I am running it and I have started an Aus Streetfighters group so we can all compare <s>cocksizes</s> amount of nerdy work done on the web site.

When you run the program it will ask you if you are in a group, our group number is 207727

Oh BTW if you don't do it you hate kids with cancer and want them to die. How's that for a guilt trip?

sharky
10-06-2011, 05:58 AM
So I give some unknown group remote access to my pc which has all my personal info on it such as online banking,paypal account etc Mmmm, No thanks mate

sen
10-06-2011, 06:14 AM
I'll be in on this, I used to have multiple of my servers at work folding in their spare time. Being a cancer-battler i've always figured it's one of those things we can do easily and for free that helps out in some way. I can't use the work servers anymore but I still have a few of my own in a datacenter in the US so setting them up now to fold for the ASF team. :)

For you guys who own PS3s, your PS3 can actually join in on this in the background (ie it only does it when you're not playing a game), it's in the dashboard somewhere (don't own a PS3 so not sure where).

sen
10-06-2011, 06:16 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

So I give some unknown group remote access to my pc which has all my personal info on it such as online banking,paypal account etc Mmmm, No thanks mate

That's not how it works. You run a small program that uses your un-used CPU cycles (eg it uses your processor when you're NOT using it) and does small computations for Stanford (hardly an "unknown group").

They don't get any access at all to your computer. The program you run asks Stanford for a piece of the equation, then the program computes the equation when you're not using your PC, and then it sends the work it's done back to Stanford.

It's 100% safe to run, thousands of people run it with zero issues, including me.

Also, if you keep your personal info on your computer, you should be protecting it properly so that even if someone does get access it's still hidden from them. Look up TrueCrypt.

bladehunter
10-06-2011, 05:51 PM
I'm in

JackTar
10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

Uncle Pervy what are you doing on Russ's computer?

BANDITROD
10-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Lol

JackTar
21-08-2011, 10:21 AM
Come on boys, surely we can do better than 2, especially with the amount of closet nerds on this forum. Fuckin kids with cancer haters.

sen
21-08-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't have proper net where I live now (3G only) but when I move back to sydney in 4-6 weeks i'll join the group (have a few servers I can commit idle time from).

T0mm0
21-08-2011, 10:04 PM
I'm in.

If that link dies google Folding@home.

JackTar
27-03-2012, 08:15 PM
Bump

xa-mont
28-03-2012, 08:29 AM
i used to do this back in my computer overclocking days in the OCAU team... my computer rocked it back then. I guess i'll do it now... might even set it up at work seeing as i'm leaving soon :P