PDA

View Full Version : Custom seat base?

streets
23-03-2007, 06:49 PM
I'm approaching time to build a seat for the gpz. I'm fine with trimming the seat but i've never scratch-built a seat base before. what materials for the base work?
I saw that matt (shift1313) made his, any tips or hints?

Gix11
23-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I'm probably about to embark on the same thing. The bottom line is you need something that you can put staples in to for the upholsterer. Plastic mouldings work fine but will fibreglass accept staples or will it just crack or bend them? Shayne? Make your shape in the classic cardboard manner first and then see what results we get here. That's my plan.......

sharky
23-03-2007, 07:38 PM
I used an old blue wheelie bin from a scrap dealer for the xjr. Heat it with a hot air gun and then(wearing leather gloves) shape it to the frame rails. I used tape to hold in place 'til it cooled down. Staple gun works easy.
Next year I am going to do a glass fibre base moulded exactly but the frame etc will then be shot blasted and coated.
I did try the g/f before with clingfilm over the framework and tank...wasn't to bad....

zx12argh
23-03-2007, 09:38 PM
The professionals use 2 pack expanding foam. Cover the frame and what ever is exposed with glad wrap then just pour it over. After its dry you have a mold all ready good to go for fibre glass for your base. Fibreglass is okay you may just need to pop rivet the material instead of stapling. Unless its nice an thick.

I did something similar for my seat - its part original plastic then the rest is fibreglass. two wheel trimmers had no worries stapling it - though I did at least 6 layers of g/f, It came up tops.

If i wasn't drunk right now I'd post up pics. :D

EXBEN
23-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Yeah fiberglass works great, like zx12argh said nice & thick, 5-6mm
works well.

shift1313
24-03-2007, 10:19 PM
Since youve got the zx race tail streets you might be better off using some seat foam. Its not too much money and a sheet will give you enough to do two bikes. You can stable into fiberglass but i wouldnt staple through your tail into the seat base because you will be liable to crack it. You can get a sheet of black acetal or delrin plastic, cut to shape, heat it a bit with a heat gun(no flame) and bend it to suit you. Staples will go in like butter if you dont go too thick. You can use grey pvc also but be very careful as pvc is very toxic when you get it too hot, again no flame. Adhesive seat foam should be closed cell you dont have to worry about water, or covering it, thats what i would do. My bike is getting a real seat because i designed it with a certain seat heigh and i cant get seat foam thick enough to compensate.

good luck

streets
25-03-2007, 02:44 PM
I was planning to use the race foam, but a nicely trimmed seat would look a lot more professional. I might go the acetal or acrylic route. Thanks for the advice.

shift1313
26-03-2007, 12:40 AM
good luck man, im close to making my seat base, next week or so, if you dont get yours done before that.

since your tail section has a nice curve seat area you might have to cut it :(. You could always source a zx10 seat and cut your tail section to accomodate it, then just bolt it to your frame.