PDA

View Full Version : fuel pressure reg questions

Yella
13-05-2011, 11:27 PM
OK so I am looking for a fuel pump and regulator for my ZX7 carb turbo fit up, I am hoping to get a set that does not require a tank return.
To do this I need
I would like a pump that has a max pressure of around 15/18psi (as I will be running no more than 10psi boost )and either a cut out or internal bypass.
A pressure regulator that is 1:1 without a tank return

Now I can get these items (they are mainly used on small cars with carb turbo set ups) just wondering what others have used and how happy they are with the set up, cost etc.
Again any help/advice/name calling is greatly appreciated :D:D

EXBEN
13-05-2011, 11:43 PM
easier to just use an efi pump, boost referenced low pressure reg & tank return.......IMO.......

Yella
14-05-2011, 12:05 AM
OK then next question is there/do you know of a fuel tap with a built in return line I can use on the ZX7 or easier to fit seperate line?

latheboy
15-05-2011, 09:20 PM
I've got the same set up as what ben has said, although i used a 22PSI pump. I needed a same Dia pump so couldn't use my bosch ones.

I took the fuel cock (hehe) off and made a new one with a return built in, better than welding your tank if you can do it.

The return MUST go to the top of you fuel tank, pipe inside the tank.
Otherwise you'll higher pressures at the fuel bowl.

Yella
15-05-2011, 10:09 PM
MMMMMMMMMMMMMMM make my own you say

wonder how I go about that?

search for info time

Yella
15-05-2011, 10:53 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1281082491.jpg

something like this maybe

latheboy
16-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Fuck, that some nice machining ;)
Maybe exactly like that just a bit different to fit your tank.

The pipe goes into the hole on the right and has a piece of rubber pipe (with a 90° bend) on it to get the outlet to the top of the tank. The left side has a little funnel fitted.
Thats made to take the standard o-ring.

Don't put a filter in the tank, put the filter after the pump.
I had a sceen on the funnel and it blocked up and i lost fuel pressure.

Edited cause i didn't speak english good

ozzy1100
16-05-2011, 07:45 PM
i have oftern thought about runing the return just back to the intake side of the pump
instead of back to the tank. it is how i control pump pressure with fuild at work
but i am useing 50 mm pipe and long runs for most of it,so maybe the fuel would heat up to much
or have prob controling pressure dont know any ideas because its a shit load easy compaired to cutting tank
or that sexy addaptor

Yella
16-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Was thinking the same but wasn't sure how much back pressure it would add

Redmohawk
16-05-2011, 09:03 PM
I doubt pressure would be an issue. On a car sytem I setup the same way long time back fuel temp was a issue.

ozzy1100
17-05-2011, 08:17 AM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

I doubt pressure would be an issue. On a car sytem I setup the same way long time back fuel temp was a issue.

thats the thing i was worried about red thanks

latheboy
17-05-2011, 08:18 AM
The only problem i can see with that is, it's possible the fuel in the reg could be sucked out and back to the pump.

Redmohawk
17-05-2011, 09:12 PM
If your fooling with fuel systems, stable temp is something to aim for as petrol has a low boiling point of 77 deg c at sea level. At say 35 psi inside your setup its up over 204 deg c BUT fuel density changes significantly with temp so a 135 main jet meters different at 70 deg c than it does at 20 deg c.

A 15 L fuel tank will expose enough surface area to creat and equilibrum and stable fuel temp when stired by pump, giving a resonably stable fuel temp assisting tuning.

A fuel system run in a mini loop (mostly insulated in rubber hose) with a varing fuel load will heat fuel excessively even just through friction in pump and flowing through the lines then the heat of the fuel pump added to the equasion. Knock up a setup like Ivan's or offer him cash/sexualfavors/beer what ever works to make you one would be the easy/smart option.

Yella
17-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Looking at welding a tank return in the bottom of the front area of the tank ( the section with the shortest bottom the top distance) so the pipe in the tank is as short as possible but still reaching top level of the tank. Stopped in a Rocket Industries today and picked up a
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/02713301.jpg

pressure is adjustable from 3 to 20 psi, but the included and optional high-pressure spring can increase the range from 20 to 65 psi. When referencing boost, fuel pressure will rise on a 1:1 ratio.

[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]

Redmohawk
18-05-2011, 06:05 AM
Even looks like it goes fast.

Booster
18-05-2011, 08:15 AM
mine has done 223mph

BANDITROD
18-05-2011, 08:39 AM
Lol

Booster
18-05-2011, 11:23 PM
Actually it would be wise to check the diaphram in the regulator annually, i'm on my third , but mine will be working a lot harder than yours, the 044 pump will be bypassing 4 lits a min at idle through the reg and holding 43 psi at idle and up to 70 when leaning on it some ..