PDA

View Full Version : Alloy or "Delrin" sliders

Large
16-06-2006, 10:10 PM
I'm looking for some sliders for the GSXR. The Oggys are 140$ but I can get cheapos from egay for about 70$.

Are the alloy ones any good...or will I rip my engine mounts out?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Suzuki-GSXR-1000-Frame-Sliders-Crash-Knobs-03-04_W0QQitemZ4649538009QQcategoryZ35232QQrdZ1QQcmdZ ViewItem

deafwish
16-06-2006, 11:06 PM
Large.
From what I was informed, the 'Oggy' type knobs will absorb a fair bit more shock, when they hit the deck.
Alloy ones tend to bend things.
On the Hornet, the Oggys mount to the frame which go through the side of the block. It's real easy to bend some serious things on the Hornet with alloy sliders.
Go the Oggy's (made here in Oz, too!)
Daz.

suxukifreak
17-06-2006, 06:13 AM
Saw a guy the other day with Oggys that had blinkers built in so the hole Oggy lite up when the blinkers flashed.....very trick. Got them off ebay somewhere.

fimpBIKES
17-06-2006, 11:56 AM
hi large

i have been making sliders out of acetal (very similar to the brand name product "delrin")
for the SVdownunder guys
i would definitely go for acetal/delrin over ally sliders

i think that the other thing that is a bonus is that plastic sliders will tend to take some of the sideways impact and the metal ones just transfer straight to the engine/chassis

fimpBIKES
17-06-2006, 12:09 PM
jut noticed that rated-R is selling them

u may remember hi purple tiller in rapid the other month, my tlr has half of his rejected parts on it :D

Large
18-06-2006, 02:22 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

u may remember hi purple tiller in rapid the other month, my tlr has half of his rejected parts on it :D

Hey fimp, mate buddy:D

When you were making the sliders...

Did you use an alloy centre to clamp the bolt on to?

Do the Rated R ones have this?

Have you forgiven me yet?:D

fimpBIKES
18-06-2006, 05:48 PM
alloy centre?

what u mean?
this is what mine look like

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/628530672126875.jpg

i can make em for you if u let me know what length u need
but it would probably be easier to just meet up and let me take some measurments

forgive?
whats that?? [:o)]

Large
18-06-2006, 06:09 PM
I thought if you just clamp the bolt (which is also holding the engine in) through the delrin shit...You might have a problem with it loosening off.?

fimpBIKES
18-06-2006, 06:16 PM
the ones i do replace the engine bolt altogether (like oggies)

so the force screwing into the engine is compressing the delrin a bit and the thing all sits there quite happily just with friction

the little ally spacer are just to clear the chassis really

devo
18-06-2006, 07:02 PM
Can you actually buy these things for a 1988-91 model GSXR750
I've not seen them but maybe someone has?

pt
18-06-2006, 08:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

do you guys think that ratedR parts bloke is ok? thinking of buying some stuff off him...

on topic now i think probably the plasticy ones cause they'll break rather than bend, though i have actually seen plastic ones bend the frame anyway so it just depends on your luck. i would personally use em cause low speed drops they're awesome, and high speed you'll break stuff anyway so you just have to risk them bending shit.[xx(]

chubs
22-06-2006, 02:48 PM
I want some for a '92 gixxer 750. Fimp - will you make em? Or does anyone know if oggy does them?

God
22-06-2006, 03:44 PM
Hi Large,

I used a set of Sato frame sliders on the Mighty Hornet. Never tested them but they looked a hell of alot sexier than the basic oggy style.

I bought them frame kyle racing USA - www.kyleusa.com

Price landed in Melbourne was about $120.

Deano
23-06-2006, 09:12 AM
I got some made for the Gsxr but after speeking to my plastics importer he said there was only 1 material to use and that is Ultra High molecular polyethelene or UHMWPE. this is like nylon/derlin/acetil but far slipperier. This is and advantage as the more friction that is created between the knob and the road meens it wears/melts done quicker. This product is alot like teflon to touch.

my 2 cents

fimpBIKES
23-06-2006, 12:36 PM
i dunno mate, the more friction there is
the less distance your bike has to slide before it stops

and the longer it slides for, the more like the chance it'll hit something solid ;)

latheboy
27-06-2006, 12:26 PM
DEVO... Can you actually buy these things for a 1988-91 model GSXR750
I've not seen them but maybe someone has?
in streetfighters 147 ( just got it ) there is a bandit with "billet aluminium cylinder head mountings iwth nylon crash bumpers "
they look piss easy to make and i think they look cool but if she went over what would the damage be to the head if any .. i dont like the idea of giving the head a hard wack .. anyone know ? ... tits:)