PDA

View Full Version : Turbo help

M-HELL
15-04-2011, 11:42 AM
Hey guys
Gotta say great forum and am looming forward to many posts and dealing with Aussies and not the over seas forums that you have to prove yourself on.

Ive just bought my 3rd Suzuki, a 01 gsxr 750. Not a streetfighter but it's hard to find a decent forum to be on. A mate that is a streetfighter nut and pointed me here (maybe to convert me lol could work)

What I want to know is can a plenum made for a 05 06 gsxr possible fit my 01 gsxr even if it only needs a little banging about ( plenum not the bike lol)
Or not even bother with it and find something closer to my year.

Hope to hear back from you guys.
Thanks. Mitch

Gitzy
15-04-2011, 11:55 AM
NOBODY HELP THIS TOOOL [}:)]...

Na just kidding he's alright, top bloke ;).. I've been trying for years to get him to lose the tupperware and come over to the naked side. No such luck..

I've already chipped him about an intro, he's getting right on it he tells me, before we flame on..

Any help on this topic would be awesome, cos apparently I'm helping him Turbo the Gixer.. and I have no clue where to start [:I]

latheboy
15-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi Mitch,
I think the best person to answer this is Booster, he will know..

The TB's might be different Ø's and spacing.
Measure the plenum and the TB's you have and see if they match.

Deano
15-04-2011, 12:13 PM
I think it will fit. Just measure to od of the tb's. The spacings should be the same at 80mm. The up pipe may need work tho

M-HELL
15-04-2011, 03:21 PM
Does anyone know the diameter on the 01 gixxer 750?

pav69
15-04-2011, 06:20 PM
ask ben he is the fabricating guru

M-HELL
15-04-2011, 06:48 PM
which ones ben? i would pull the bike apart but im away working.

Deano
15-04-2011, 08:03 PM
I think they are same as gix 1000

54mm from memory

M-HELL
15-04-2011, 08:20 PM
ah cool. ill run with that. still searching trusty old google for diameters lol

Booster
15-04-2011, 09:13 PM
the 05-06 gix 1k had different tb spacings to the 01-04 1k,, early were 80mm centres the later had same centre spacings but the outside 2 were different, only 5mm per side and the silicone hoses joining to the throttle bodies will accomodate the difference , just a bit fiddley till you get used to doing it
i think you will have no prob with diameters .54mm is fairly common throttlebody OD i have several sets of throttlebodies and there all pretty much the same
i may know where to swap a early for late if the 05-06 one you have is of good quality

M-HELL
15-04-2011, 09:27 PM
thanks heaps booster, i will let let you know how i go but if it doesnt fit will pm you about the swap and quality of the plenum.
just another question, what kinda boost can i run on stock internals or do i need a bit of work? i would be happy with 5psi of boost.

M-HELL
15-04-2011, 09:39 PM
i havent yet bought the plenum yet but would be more interested in buying a earlier one instead of trying to make one fit. if you know of one i can buy for my model of bike let us know i would be keen.
thanks booster

Booster
16-04-2011, 07:48 AM
Not off hand for a suitable plenum but i know someone using an early velocity racing plenum on a later bike , its in very good condition and probably would consider a swap if the correct year model velocity or rcc plenum was available in same condition .

Send a link to what your looking at (pm if you prefer) and i can comment about the quality of the parts or kit, there is some good stuff out there at the right price, and there is shit...
there was a good gsxr hotside on psycobike last week, turbo headers,etc , needed fuel system and intake to complete

M-HELL
16-04-2011, 09:15 AM
I'll pm you the link. I'm just slowly building up what I need for a turbo setup. Dont want to rush into it. Already have heaps of other bits at home that need to go on the bike. Pc3, Pazzos, windshield etc.

M-HELL
16-04-2011, 10:25 AM
Hey booster thanks for the links. How much can I run on a stock engine internals? I have a pc3 aswell.

Booster
16-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Maybe 6 psi, as long as there is no boost creep, you have a very safe tune and the fuel quality is consistant.
better off decompressing ..
while i don't particulary like the fmu/powercommander combo for turbo's it is functional and fairly cheap
be better off putting in larger injectors and using a boost referenced piggyback , but if you realy want to use the pc combo i will have a fmu here next week off a zx 14 kit i'm bringing in as i will be replacing it with a 1:1 reg and bigger injectors and tuning with a aem piggyback .

M-HELL
16-04-2011, 01:27 PM
I hate to ask but what's the piggy back?

Booster
16-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Your powercommander is a piggyback as are other"interceptor" type secondary computers that intercept the injector signal, modify it after reading inputs from throttle,rpm,map sensor etc then output a new injector signal .