PDA

View Full Version : Fork Covers

xa-mont
12-04-2011, 09:13 AM
Anyone got any pics of how these suckers actually work? wouldn't mind covering up the gold of my forks.

Like, how are they held on and whatnot.

http://i493.photobucket.com/albums/rr292/Gitzy84/Bandits/Bandits%20ASF/0950.jpg

Iceman
12-04-2011, 10:21 AM
they are held on using white mans magic

Hillsy
12-04-2011, 11:25 AM
It's not often you see a mission brown motorcycle.

sen
12-04-2011, 11:53 AM
I frickin love that bike.

As for the sleeves, pretty sure they just those little allen key bolts with a point at the end, that clamps in through a hole in the sleeve and bites into the forks (though the top sleeve between the clamps is probably just held in place by the clamps?)

Gitzy
12-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Grub screws for sure, if the screws did give way, the covers can't really go far anyway and just bounce around till you fixed them.

Although I didn't see how Icemans where mounted on his GS and they also spun, but when I was playing with them I noticed he had this concentrated look on his face, so maybe white mans magic is real.. ;)

xa-mont
12-04-2011, 12:13 PM
lol.

Grub screws sound a little... not very reliable... Might have to just play with some ideas i guess.

Iceman
12-04-2011, 12:53 PM
I will be securing mine with a tiny bead of silicone to stop the spinning effect.

Fight_fan
12-04-2011, 03:04 PM
The inside of the lower leg is machined so it rests on the flare at the bottom of ur fork leg. The lower tripple clamp locks that in place.
Or it could be white mans magic who knows...

Gix11
12-04-2011, 04:37 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

The inside of the lower leg is machined so it rests on the flare at the bottom of ur fork leg. The lower tripple clamp locks that in place.
Or it could be white mans magic who knows...

What Fight_fan said. Look at the lower part of an USD fork leg and you'll see it's flared. At the top weld in a sleeve with the same ID as the OD of the leg to centre it, then the bottom clamp will hold it tight, then same applies between the top and bottom clamp. Just have to be very precise with the height of each so as not to effect the take up of the stem bearings, or extending your lower fork length through the clamps.

xa-mont
12-04-2011, 05:05 PM
thanks kids

Gitzy
12-04-2011, 06:40 PM
Grub screws, pffft what a stupid idea [:I][:o)]:D

EXBEN
17-04-2011, 09:56 PM
There's a number of ways you can make them, Here's some I made for a guy a while back, he was going to powdercoat them black, they were to go on a set of billet triples that he already had, to fit them the long ones get screwed to the underside of the bottom triple ( I made him a long allen key to do this), then you slide the forks though the tubes & bottom clamp then slide the upper tubes over the forks then fit the top clamp. The lower tubes were a fairly neat fit over the fork seal hump area, the end plates were made up with holes that were a neat fit on the fork outers then they were welded into the tubes & the welds were smoothed.
http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/9484/9484301904d88bd652c826cdb2abe2e0a09fdc7.jpg

xa-mont
18-04-2011, 09:35 AM
Thanks for that Ben.

Elapid
19-04-2011, 05:41 PM
quote:Originally posted by Hillsy

It's not often you see a mission brown motorcycle.

That's fucking Trumpy orange Hillsy.

oldskool
19-04-2011, 10:38 PM
Painted by a chutney tunnel ferret!

bladehunter
20-04-2011, 03:59 PM
Grub screw heads and weather don't mix.

Ok depending on clearances, stock material dimensions and such the upper fork tube I'd slip a bit of old inner tube(I doubt a used franger would work) about an inch or two long just above and below triples, slip your fancy cover over that and to be really trick machine a groove for a O-ring either at top or bottom or both so the top clamp compresses the cover onto the lower clamp.Should give you vibration damping. Bit of silicone spray will help in getting the cover over the inner tube. You may have a gap of a 1mm or so depending on how you dimensioned it.