PDA

View Full Version : Flat Tracker front

JDinOZ
10-04-2011, 04:54 PM
Hey Guys,

So I got a street triple r and I want to change the front into something like this:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201006/triumph-street-tripl_460x0w.jpg

Does anybody have any idea how I should go about making it myself (with zero experience in plastics) or maybe of old parts (of dirtbikes?). Ben would be the easiest way to go, but then I would do less work myself & i'd have to save some coin first.

Any idea's or useful sites welcome.

Cheers

BANDITROD
10-04-2011, 07:50 PM
Buy a number plate off a crf and start chopping and maybe a shitload of LEDs for blinkers and hide some projectors behind it easy as mate just jump in head first and have a crack sure you might fuck it up but at least you can say you did it yourself

JDinOZ
10-04-2011, 08:35 PM
sounds like a solid plan to me :D

Redmohawk
10-04-2011, 09:48 PM
Or cardboard (beer box contents for insperation) masking tape sissors stanley knife cut n shut to your hearts content (re-enforce the back with more card to retain shape) . Once you get a shape you like the look of cover the think in a thin layer of Auto bog sand smooth so it looks just how you want the finished design.

Then give it a coat of vasiline and make a female fiberglass mold of it. Then clean up female mold of any anomalies you dont like , coat it with another thin coat of vas and make your final end product. How to's on fiberglassing on net all about cheap easy just time, you can even mould it to suit the lights etc.

JDinOZ
11-04-2011, 09:45 AM
Fuck yeah. Ill try cardboard first, it would be cool to learn how to do a little amateur fiberglassing. Ill let youz know how I go.
Thanks for the help, appreciate it. :)

nick76
11-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Earlier in the year,I'd torn all the tendons off the tip of my finger,and the occupational therapist made splints to keep my finger straight out of some fancy plastic that was mouldable after softened in warm water,and went back to hard in 20-30 seconds.
I reckon this shit would be good for all this sort of stuff,and you could probably just bog,sand,and paint it???
Red,you're pretty cluey with plastics,do you know what its called???

bladehunter
11-04-2011, 06:19 PM
I know Jaycar sell small bags of that shot......amorphic plastic or something like that

bladehunter
11-04-2011, 06:21 PM
Ok this will sound silly....but some bash plates have just about the right angular shape

Redmohawk
11-04-2011, 07:37 PM
Low temp thermo plastic (sometimes refered to as Amorphus) Moulds at around 60 deg c for most stuff you can buy off the shelf. Is usally used with hot water out of a tap to get it plastic.

There is a lower temp one for moulding with heat from your hands (around 35 deg c temp). Both are of little use for anything other than quick instant moulds for reproduction work (there excelent for copying broken plastic parts off bikes ) They have a very low tolerance to vibration (crack very quick) and really crap resistance to solvants like petrol etc even windex can knock them around a fair bit ! Let alone the fact that your bike will prob get to 70 deg c in the sun on a summers day and go all floppy lol

(amorhpus is a term meaning not crystaline in structure at normal operating tempreatures and a whole load of other sit you dont want to know about) That is just used to make it sound cool.

Its just a basic thermoplastic like polycarbonate (its moulding temp is 190 deg c) If you want to do something a little different try polycarb is crystal clear and almost unbreakable (but does scratch) I'm planning a little poly project for my Yamaha "Bunny" similar to what your after I'll post up some phots in a how to if you like. You will need to make a moulding vacumbe bench (not hard just need a bit of peg board a old vacumbe and some mdf and access to a electric oven.

BANDITROD
11-04-2011, 11:53 PM
quote:Originally posted by bladehunter

Ok this will sound silly....but some bash plates have just about the right angular shape
Now that's one I haven't heard of before very clever mate

nick76
12-04-2011, 09:08 AM
I think the new Husky dirtbike bike headlight isn't too far different from that one on the trumpy