PDA

View Full Version : Veypor/VR2 tacho issues

whale
05-04-2011, 01:47 PM
I have a Veypor dash unit on my bike and I cannot get the tach to read properly. I have been banging my head into it for months with no success.

I have tried both Veypor and VR2 units, wired it to each side of the coil and have tried a direct feed from the spark plug.

Today I got an old wiring loom and wired it up outside of the bike to avoid interference from the other electrics - still no joy. I must now admit defeat.

Is there anyone between Brisbane and Sydney who is a whiz with these things and I can employ to get it right?

Should I be looking at an Acewell instead or am I likely to encounter the same issues?

Bike is a GSX 1100

Deano
05-04-2011, 05:28 PM
They are a good thing. I have had one for years. I had tach issues. Tried a electrical surpressor and all. In the end they gave me a new one. Have you posted up in the veypor forum?

whale
05-04-2011, 06:10 PM
Yes mate, I've been through the forum.

I have the same issue with 2 different units on this bike, one of which came off a CB1300 where it worked flawlessly.

Deano
05-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Must be the bike then. Could different leads and plugs interfear

Dynomutt
07-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I've fitted several of the Veypor units and all of them have had issues with the tacho. I've used the inductive method of wrapping around a plug wire with little success, and running off one side of the coil with similar. The best method I found was to run from each coil using a pair of diodes wired up in the same way as a Dynatek tach adapter. A Y shaped wire with a diode in each arm connected to each of the neg terminals on the coils, then the other end running to the tacho. This so far has been the best method to get a reliable tach trace. However the tacho is still shite, and reacts far too slowly, blip the thottle and the revs are back at idle whilst the tacho is still climbing. Personally I only used the Veypor on my Z1075 because it was free from a mate who couldn't get the display working ( he'd taken it apart and put the border in under the LCD screen and insulated it do back light but no display) I'll be changing it pretty soon for either a Koso unit or a Moto Gadget or possibly an Acewell, as I now get them a very good price.

whale
08-04-2011, 06:00 PM
Cheers mate, I'll give that a go

boris
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I'd get an acewell and put it on a real bike like a gixxer 1100w not 1 of them harris bloody things lol and thanks Dynomutt we'll try that tomorow for sure

whale
09-04-2011, 09:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by whale

Cheers mate, I'll give that a go

Edit. Cheers mate, Boris'll give that a go