PDA

View Full Version : Fork springs...

sharky
31-03-2011, 06:58 AM
Ok ladies...I have got hold of some dirt cheap Eibach 0.90kg springs for the R1 forks on the XJR(stock are 0.75 and dive hard under braking).
Ideally I would have liked progressive springs (if I could find them), but these were stupid cheap.
My only concern is they may make the ride a bit harsh (read up about this on XJR forum link)
There is a 110mm ali spacer(stock part) on top of the stock springs...so I'm wondering...could I replace this with 110mm of the softer coils from the stock springs to give a smoother ride ?
My thinking is they would soak up the smaller bumps with the heavier Eibach's doing the main work...

Possible or totally wack idea ?? [8D]

Redmohawk
31-03-2011, 05:30 PM
They use an arrangment like that in some lowered mac strut towers on supersedans/rally cars to keep the really hard really short springs captive, works well but the top spring is designed to be 100% compressed most of the time.

I think the issue you will have with your arrangment is the coils of the lighter spring wont like being compressed to 100% this may cause all kinds of issues. And the heavyer springs wont start to work till the softer ones are almost 100% compressed.

Also to throw more crap on your idea a round profile spiral spring (spring material not shape) hardness/stiffness is a relation of how thick the material is and how long it is so cutting it shorter will increase its stiffness to a degree so you lighter spring may well be stiffer than the heavy spring once cut.

Sorry mate when I first looked at the idea looked like a great idea, then I thought about it a bit and well, bugger lol.

A spring rate in between or as you said a progessive spring is prob the best answer.

robmac
31-03-2011, 08:24 PM
The problem with harshness is not caused by the spring rate but the valving. Get them revalved and there should be no harshness. Steve Woods in Brisbane could do wonders with them.