PDA

View Full Version : Painting SV engine

xa-mont
28-03-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey chaps and chapettes,

I'm planing on ripping out my SV engine in the next week or so for a paint job. i'm thinking black of some variety.

Anyone got some hints and tips on how to go about it all?

crazymofo
28-03-2011, 11:08 AM
make sure its clean, no oil residue anywhere.
either engine enamel or 2k, 2k gives better results imo

cheers.joe.

xa-mont
28-03-2011, 11:24 AM
i'm thinking whatever i do it in it will be coming out of a spray can, cause i'm too lazy/poor to set my self up with compressor/spray equipment properly just yet.

pav69
28-03-2011, 11:56 AM
clean engine when you think its clean do it again then dont touch it with your hands dry it off vht primer in can vht engine enamal also in can let it dry for a couple of days before assembly

sharky
28-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Whats the best for cleaning the motor ?
I have a load of spray can degreaser and carby cleaner...
The carby cleaner seems to leave a good clean surface..gonna do a test on a piece of scrap...rinse with cleaner, let it dry and then spray to check for any residue..

Any tips from our pro's ? (besides clean, key surface etc)

xa-mont
28-03-2011, 01:01 PM
good question sharky.

wackyrider
28-03-2011, 02:14 PM
When i did mine I used the degreasers like crazy (the ones in a can from Supercrap), also using toothbrush to get those hard to reach places. Then rubbed it back as well with some 800 paper if I recall correctly. Turned out well on mine. No pieces flaking off or any issues

BANDITROD
28-03-2011, 02:22 PM
I always use degreaser and toothbrush ANd then good rinse with water and then do it all again if your fussy like me I gave the bandit motor a wetrub with 600 grit and then used vht paint without primer and it is still going strong

xa-mont
28-03-2011, 02:30 PM
sounds easy :D I'll be sure to chuck up some pics.

LKC73
28-03-2011, 05:51 PM
Ive done mine pretty much the same, I did use a scouring pad though not sandpaper. After I had rubbed it all back, I use prep-sol to give it another good clean with clean rags and you'll be suprised the amount of shit that still comes off. Matt Black VHT has worked best for the Gixer. Its spilt fuel and coolant and oil over it and hasnt affected any of the engine paint.