PDA

View Full Version : Turbo header problem

Iceman
12-03-2011, 09:46 AM
I am having trouble getting my headers to seal on my GS. I've had them on and of way too many times in the last couple of days in an attempt to stop the leak, but to no avail. I've put new exhaust gaskets in and still the left side has a little puff every time it fires.

I'm thinking of putting some sort of sealant on there and then bolting them up again. Is there any reason as to why I shouldn't do this? I know I will have to be careful not to use too much as, once dried if any gets sent into the pipe it'll go straight into my turbo.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

ALBI
12-03-2011, 10:46 AM
just make sure the flange face isnt warped?
did you get ALL the old gasket of??

hyofighter
12-03-2011, 10:56 AM
i always tend to use a sealant when fitting manifolds to car and trucks at work just as insurance to them not leaking , a good high temp sealant and not loads of it on there , but albi is right on the surfaces if its warped or some of the old gasket is on there no amount of sealant will fix it it will just blow it out

Iceman
12-03-2011, 11:07 AM
It appears to be all clean. The 'old' gaskets I removed have only been in since the motor was built about 500km ago. I'll give it a good clean, and try some exhaust manifold cement. Fuck knows what I'm gunna do if that doesn't work. I don't want to make another manifold for it, this one is about number seven since this build started.

Deano
12-03-2011, 11:30 AM
I just use the standard gaskets with loctite coppermax seilicone type sealant. Use it for sealing all the exhaust flanges on the system. So far so good

Watto
12-03-2011, 02:55 PM
I've heard guys using two gaskets and bit of sealant for good measure - depending if you have an 02 sensor just make sure the sealant is sensor safe

80s freak
12-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Have you checked the headers themselves for cracks Clint, where they step down in O.D..

xa-mont
12-03-2011, 04:56 PM
i had a heap of trouble with my headers on my XB and eventually went with JUST copper sealant, no gaskets at all and it was perfect, no dramas after that.

K6Thou
12-03-2011, 05:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by Watto

I've heard guys using two gaskets and bit of sealant for good measure - depending if you have an 02 sensor just make sure the sealant is sensor safe
Ultra blue is 02 sensor safe. I used to use 'Maniseal' on most stuff I re-assembled. Never had any dramas with exhaust leaks.

Deano
12-03-2011, 06:51 PM
Coppermax is sensor safe and that highest temp range of all the loctite sealants

latheboy
16-03-2011, 09:16 AM
Are the mating faces flat?
I machined mine flat them draw filed it to make sure....

Iceman
16-03-2011, 09:45 AM
I'll run it tonight to make sure, but I think I've fixed it.