PDA

View Full Version : Perspex/Lexan polishing

TurboKat
16-06-2006, 12:55 PM
I've got an old helmet I want to use as a spare but the visor has lots of fine marks & scratches in it to the point that it'll be a pain too see out of.
Has anyone ever polished their visor with success?
I'm thinking of using 1500 ultrafine or even the microfine paper that OzKat was talking about in the wheel polishing topic then maybe some fine cutting compound or swirl remover but I can't afford to fuck it up & make it cloudy coz the visors are no longer available & the lid is useless without one.
Maybe our painters (Gibbo or Damo) could shed some light?

boogieman76
16-06-2006, 02:26 PM
polish a corner first, some visors have a plastic coating over the transparency and when you polish it, it starts to peel and makes it worse (learnt the hard way). Not sure if they're all the same. Mine was a Nolan. I work a bit with aircraft windows and the plastic ones just polish up with wet and dry and then brasso to finish them off. But again, try a corner first. Good luck

16-06-2006, 02:41 PM
Polishing up 'the old helmet' there mate :D

time to visit 'the daily planet' perchance?

16-06-2006, 05:18 PM
grab a sheet of 2mm Lex and make a new 1.

Large
16-06-2006, 05:49 PM
what sort of helmet?

TurboKat
16-06-2006, 06:42 PM
It's a Bell polycarbonate job, no model designation.
White with a red flash & some broken blue lines going around it a bit like Gardner's old one. (a pic woulda been easier)

BillyWhizz888
21-06-2006, 08:45 AM
A BELL HELMET hey..... snigger snigger :D

Gix11
21-06-2006, 02:36 PM
That always reminds me of walking into a helmet shop in Bristol, England with a mate of mine. When we got to the counter the guy showed him the range and said what kind of helmet do you prefer, to which my mate replied "Well, I have a Bell shaped head" - It took us a while before the bloke could talk again from laughing so hard. Tom always did look like a bit of a bell....