PDA

View Full Version : clutch not working

fizzer49
14-03-2007, 12:41 PM
hi guys need some help my fzr600 been sitting for about 6 months and when i started it today to see if the clutch was ok it stalls when i engange a gear my manual said to tape the clutch lever in for a few hour and see if it works then any other help would be good i might have to pull the clutch cover off and check it

sharky
14-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Could be right...plates have stuck together over time. Maybe warm the engine up to full temp...maybe the hot oil will loosen them off.
Probably best to pull the cover off and give them a clean.

Gix11
14-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Yea, what Sharky said.

Hillsy
14-03-2007, 02:20 PM
Hopefully this ain't the case - do you have the sidestand up???

loosebruce
14-03-2007, 05:49 PM
That was my first thought, dodgy sidestand switch.
Could also be slave cylinder leak if a hydraulic clutch.

14-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah, does the bike lurch forward when you put it in to gear (clutch plates / slave cylinder) or just die (side stand switch.
If it's the switch you can follow the wires back up to the connector (either 2 or 3 wires) and just hard wire them together to bypass the switch.

RUSS M8
14-03-2007, 07:49 PM
if it isn't the switch and the plates have fused togeather over time, there is one way that may free them up...

I have seen it done, but you need to be careful.

Get on some sort of a hill, roll forwards (in neutral engine running). With about 5-10 km/h click 1st. The bike will accelerate through 1st like normal (hopefully). SO when you have plenty of speed on board pull the clutch lever in and jam the back brake on - might just pop the plates back out.

But, it is a bit of a band-aid. I reckon if they are stuck togeather you shoudl pull it apart and clean it.

Booster
15-03-2007, 07:24 AM
My misses old fzr 400 would do that, get it warm and just work the clutch usually frees them up ok even blip the throttle a few times .

fizzer49
15-03-2007, 11:46 PM
hi guys i ended up taping the clutch leaver in and leaving it for a bit then took the cluch cover off and put it back on and i worked to day thanks for the advice guys