PDA

View Full Version : Dyno project...

ghedina
15-02-2011, 11:08 PM
Hi guys, its brett from Tokyo motorsports... Located in welshpool.
Just wanted a litle feed back from the WA bike comunity.
Tokyo motorsports is currently purchasing a bike dyno.
We will be offering full tuning services for std to full out race/drag bikes. (NA / turbo'd / NOS ...ect)
We are also going to setting the dyno facillity up for hire to local workshops & to private users.
Just looking for a show of hands on how many of you might be interested in hiring the dyno to tune their own bikes or workshops wanting to tune their own customers bikes?

rock hard
16-02-2011, 08:13 AM
thats an interesting idea Brett

Rocket
16-02-2011, 08:20 AM
Brett, it's a good idea in concept but I'm interested in how you plan to hire the machine to private users or workshops.
Who would operate it ?

It's an expensive bit of gear, I'm not sure you'd want every knuckledragger in Perth who thinks he's an expert strapping their shit to it, making a complete cock up of it and then blaming your machine because their FZR250 with a 20 shot only made 17hp and then ate it's own pistons.
Or worse, wheelying off through the wall because they didnt strap it properly.

Same goes for a workshop using it, who would operate the machine ?

Not that I know anything about anything when it comes to dyno's, but I always thought you needed a competent operator to use one of these things, ie; to get the repeatability of results that makes using a dyno worthwhile.

I have a carbed bike that I'd like to spin up on a dyno, get some air fuel ratio numbers and then go away and have a fiddle if it needs adjustment, then run it again.
But I don't think i'd like to be the one operating the machine and wrecking my nice motor because I did something wrong, but at least then I could blame your machine :)

ghedina
16-02-2011, 02:55 PM
hi guys
were still nuttting out the different charging rates. will get back to you with them asap

latheboy
16-02-2011, 03:47 PM
If it was my Dyno I wouldn't let just anyone come and use it.

I'd hire out my opperator with the Dyno. Exy but you know the dyno won't get fucked up by some dickhead.

How are you gonna tune EVO's on a bike dyno?

Azrael
16-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Q: Can i tune my chihauhau? Will this stop it from pissing on <s>my bike</s> everything thats important to me?
Thanks in advance.

Oh, if it were to have a terrible accident resulting in its component parts being scattered all over your workshop in a fine red mist would there be a clean up surcharge and could you make it look like and accident?

Thankyou again.

Tony Nitrous
16-02-2011, 04:22 PM
Cant you image some of the numbers getting printed out !
Perth streets would be full of 200hp 600's !

On 2nd thoughts let me have a go,
I could do with some "healthy" dyno sheets to sell mine...:D

ghedina
16-02-2011, 09:41 PM
hi guys,
Your all correct in saying a dyno can cause maximum engine damage & even equipment damage.
The dyno would only be available to hire on its own to workshops/technicians/race teams that we deem compitent in using the equipment. this would be assesed on a case by case basis.
We are looking at offering a initial training coarse on how to operate the dyno to workshops/technicians who know how to tune engines competently &"without causing damage" but dont yet have the knowledge on how to operate a dyno. The first time they want to use the dyno will definitely be with full supervision from myself or the boss.
For any other customers the dyno will only be available with an operator, with the exeption of there tuning & dyno operation knowledge.

The dyno hire without an operator is more directed at local workshops doing minor upgrades & want to offer the complete ride in ride out option to there customers. If they are not keen to tune it them selves, we are more than happy to tune it for them at a trade rate.

Rough figures are:

Innitial training coarse 2 - 3 hours @ $90 + gst per hour
Dyno hire w/out operator: $110 + gst per hour
Dyno tuning with operator: $180 + gst per hour
Trade rates aprox - %10

There will also be a pre & post check on all the equipment to make sure nothing gets damaged & relevant costs apply to any damaged equipment. (same as every hire car contract)
As far as liability for bike / engine damage goes, we will be assesing every bike before it goes anywhere near the rollers & if we dont think its safe then it wont even get looked at.
If another workshop / bike owner is tuning their own bikes then only one person can be to blame for the possible damage.
(Dyno's dont break things - engines fail mostly due to internal failures or poeple asking too much from them, and very rarely due to operator faults)
(If an engine fails on the dyno then you shoild be glad it did then & not at 13000rpm in 6th gear when your on it!)

What ever bike tokyo motorsports tunes, the owner will need to sign a legal document that clearly outlines the possible risks involved in tuning (similar to one you sign when you have surgery in a hospital) This is standard with most tuning workshops across AUS.
But i can asure you that in my 10 years of tuning & the BOSS's 20 years we both have only seen 1 or maybe 2 failures between us, and they were most definitly not atributed to operator error.... It's not so much stating that we are not liable for any damages as pointing out that sometimes, even when all possible care is taken, something are purely out of our control.

Hope this answers the questions a little better.

As far as tuning EVO's goes,
The Dyno is a 4WD DYNAPAC hub dyno, which has had a custom bike attachment built for it.
So the one dyno can do 2 wheel drive, 4 wheel drive & bikes .....

latheboy
17-02-2011, 07:15 AM
quote:Originally posted by ghedina

hi guys,
Your all correct in saying a dyno can cause maximum engine damage No not true& even equipment damage. Yep i've seen this happen from a tail shaft breaking

(Dyno's dont break things Good you corrected your self - engines fail mostly due to internal failures or poeple asking too much from them, and very rarely due to operator faults
(If an engine fails on the dyno then you shoild be glad it did then & not at 13000rpm in 6th gear when your on it!)absafuckingluty

And yes i do know what i'm talking about :D

ghedina
17-02-2011, 02:25 PM
hi latheboy,
the emphasis was on the CAN in "Your all correct in saying a dyno CAN cause maximum engine damage & even equipment damage.
It does not mean WILL cause damage

And yes i too know what im talking about!
HEHE

latheboy
17-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Cool man, good old interweb... Not the first time i've got the meaning wrong.

Funkenfresh
20-02-2011, 09:42 AM
i neeed to get the cbr tuned... so let us know when you are up and running

ghedina
21-02-2011, 02:29 PM
no problems abdul will post it up when we are ready to go
just building the cell at the moment