PDA

View Full Version : legal question

skoerbin
12-02-2011, 09:07 AM
Ive got a mate who rides a ninja 650R-L (which is the LAMS approved version) he was pulled over yesterday while do nothing at all wrong and the copper starts inspecting the bike, after about 10 minutes of the cop looking and then sitting back into the car he brings back 3 tickets. one for a bald tyre (it is probbably slightly bald so he is fine with that) and one for riding a bike that is not LAMS approved and one for not showing an L plate because the bikes not LAMS approved. he also mentioned that the indicators werent bright enough and that there was no rear mud guard but didnt issue a fine.

The issue is the two tickets relating to what people with an RE licence can and can not ride. This bike IS a LAMS approved bike and the vin/chassis/engine numbers match this. however somewhere along the track QLD transport has not registered it that way. Does he have a leg to stand on if he trys to fight those two fines?

to rub salt into his wound he was on his way to a job interview and the cop said he wasnt allowed to ride the bike or he would fine him all the same fines over again, and he ended up being late for the interview

bladehunter
12-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Well according to the list from qld roads if it's 2010 on it LAMS approved

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/~/media/dddc126f-cc4a-438f-94c1-40329ec7b0c7/lam_scheme_list_081210.pdf

nick76
12-02-2011, 10:25 AM
^^^^What he said^^^^
If the Kwaka is a 2010 model onwards,its on the list.
LAM should be printed on the rego label anyway.

I love looking thru these lists.
How the hell are Aprilia SXV550s and Honda CR500Es are learner leagal??????
I know it's all to do with power to weight ratios,dependant on manufacturers specs etc etc,but geez,a little restrictor or two,turns some of the bikes on this lists into weapons once they are removed.

bladehunter
12-02-2011, 10:30 AM
I'd love to see a motarded CR with L plates

skoerbin
12-02-2011, 04:18 PM
yeah its deffinatly the LAMS approved one but something about how the paper work was lodged originally means that it has been registered as a non LAMS approved one. he is going to go to kwaka and get a cert saying that the vin number matches a LAM bike and that due to a clerical error its been registered wrong, he should get away with it, hopefully

oldskool
12-02-2011, 05:59 PM
as for not bright enough........ there is no law too size just that the must be visible at 200 mtrs in daylight hours, tyres at above ware makers and a LAMS vin is a LAMS vin.

pav69
12-02-2011, 06:34 PM
had a cr a few years ago with road wheels on it and would not let a learner near that thing way to quick they snap rear gaurds very nicely.

LKC73
12-02-2011, 10:01 PM
I have been through the "bright" indicator thing hear in NSW and as long as they have the "E" mark mold in the lense, then this by rights means its passed the Euro testing for brightness and complies to all ADR's for all of Australia. If a cop pulls him up for it again, be sure to show him the "e" mark if it has them. Some after market lights dont have these markings, in which a defect can be issued. I landed 6 defects on a car after non of the lights had emarks as they were after market lights.

oldskool
13-02-2011, 09:16 AM
The mark of E means very little and any chonga factory will put what ever you ask in the lense, I do alot with ADR's through my work with bikes and the number under the E mark is the thing that tells the story it is this number that is listed with dotas as being tested to pass EU standard in saying all that the E mark will through the Pig off the scent.
I have some super mini ones with an E mark and Im pretty sure they didnt pass any Euro or ADR testing.

nick76
13-02-2011, 10:18 AM
^^^^Yeah,but if the ching chong factories will put an "E" on the lense,im sure they'll put which ever revelent numbers have been tested on aswell.
I've worked for plenty of people over the years that have done business with factories in China,and the stuff they do,and print on the stuff they make.They'll print,made in whatever ccountry you want,on anything,pluss heaps of other stuff.

It's fkd that now your mate has to do all this fucking around,to correct a mistake that wasn't made by him.And that doesn't include all the fuck around with the coppper,running late for interview,etc
You should be able to backcharge them for your time,and get some kind of compensation for fixing their fuck up.

I had the opposite LAMS issue with a bike i owned afew years ago.
A KTM640SM isn't on any LAMS list anywhere,yet my one actually had LAMS on the rego!!!
Its got me fucked how these government departments work.

bladehunter
13-02-2011, 11:04 AM
The bit that really sux is that your mate was going to get a ticket anyway.

I was talking to a guy in the RTA in December who I'd seen pulled up on the M5 just after the tunnel. The copper was sus because he wasn't lane splitting or speeding and figured he was over because he obeying the rules. It was a stinking hot day and old mate was in full leathers.
Sometimes we're fucked either way :S