PDA

View Full Version : Air in oil!

336LJ
08-02-2011, 05:10 PM
I was just about to jump on and go for a spin to the servo to get some fuel for tomorrow.
started it up ran it for about 2 min but didn't have enough fuel in to make it to the end of the street let along the servo so I shut it off and put a few L in.
when I went to check the oil it looked like this!
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff78/H8_RICE/MISC/shit.jpg
I only have my shitty camera phone but it looks like aerated caramel.
last time I rode it was after a service, no issues that I could see.
could it be sucking air through the oil pipe or something?
many years of a 100% reliable bike come to an end - FUCK!

Large
08-02-2011, 05:40 PM
sure it's not water?

336LJ
08-02-2011, 05:41 PM
dunno mate I just drained all the oil and there was no water or air in it.. vat ze fauk indeed - well I'm long over due for the clutch cover swap so may as well rip it off and ava geeze. thought maybe it was condensation or something?

lurch
08-02-2011, 05:47 PM
Whatever oil was in my Speed Triple from factory/dealer delivery went like that from condensation. I changed it and it hasn't happened since

336LJ
08-02-2011, 05:54 PM
hit defcon 5 in my pants. thinking not another damn machine not moving. I'll whack this sexy clutch cover on after work tomorrow. anyone ever had any problems with k&n oil filters at all? I'm cursed with oil problems - its what killed the LJ, everything else fuckin cooks!

hyofighter
08-02-2011, 06:44 PM
i have seen old oils and not dirty ones but just oil that has sat around for a long time do this like in diffs of cars where they are churned up with the gears inside aerating them and they stay foamy for ages

336LJ
08-02-2011, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by hyofighter

i have seen old oils and not dirty ones but just oil that has sat around for a long time do this like in diffs of cars where they are churned up with the gears inside aerating them and they stay foamy for ages

as soon as I saw it, it reminded me of the hydraulic oil in the excavator. had to leave it for over a month and hopefully get all the air to work its way out.
I still have no idea why it would have air in it tho - no issues the one and only time I rode it since the new oil and filter went on. I'll give it another go but I'm thinking I should replace that crush washer on the oil pipe too!

Shadowzone
08-02-2011, 09:09 PM
Have you checked your compression ratios? It's not a crack from a cylinder pushing air into an oil gallery?

I don't know if it could or would do this it was just a thought that occurred to me.

BANDITROD
08-02-2011, 09:40 PM
If that was the case then there would be alot of pressure coming out of the crank breather pipe yeah

oldskool
08-02-2011, 09:52 PM
There is nothing to worry about.

Dynomutt
09-02-2011, 04:39 AM
Chances are that it is just foaming due to the mechanical thrashing about the oil gets from the moving parts within the engine. Modern oils have anti foaming agents blended into them amongst other things, obviously over time these lose their effacacy, and the oil starts to foam.

Hillsy
09-02-2011, 09:13 AM
It's water from condensation. You need to ride your bike longer to get the oil up to temperature so it evaporates. Regularly happened to me on my old Divi when I used to ride it to work on a 6km trip. The oil barely got warm and when it cools it sucks in moisture.

Change your oil and take your bike for longer rides.

336LJ
10-02-2011, 07:28 PM
All appears well - did it a bit when I first started it up with the new oil in, took it for a decent run all appears to be good.
Fuck this is coolest bling I have ever had on any of my shitters.
I nearly went off the road into a ditch a few times checkin it out when I was riding along, makes pirdy swirls with oil at different revs - also - I'm sure when you get the light in the right spot you can see a conrod doin its thing
http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff78/H8_RICE/MISC/plex.jpg