PDA

View Full Version : swingarm mounting drama's

Harry
06-02-2011, 02:26 PM
iv been trying for 2 day's to mount my swingarm back into the bike for final assembley..and the only way it will go in is to leave one of the washer's out that sit inside the dust cap on one side of the swingarm which are coming up at 0.49 on my verners,and even with leaving it out it take's a fair bit of grunt to get the swingarm into place.the question is will it make any difference if i leave the washer out? the only reason i can see it being in there is to sit against the bearing and axle pin spacer though the dust cap thats in there already has a metal washer built into it..can i leave the thing out or does it have some sort of magical effect on the hole deal ?

BANDITROD
06-02-2011, 03:54 PM
Are you sure that washer doesn't go on the outside of the frame Harry ;)

Harry
06-02-2011, 04:07 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

Are you sure that washer doesn't go on the outside of the frame Harry ;)
it's all been put together as the fich show's mate,she's just tight as fuck but it's in there now

BANDITROD
06-02-2011, 04:25 PM
Ahh very good mate I don't have any pics to look at I was just winging it

Harry
06-02-2011, 06:23 PM
quote:Originally posted by BANDITROD

Ahh very good mate I don't have any pics to look at I was just winging it
no prob's rod,im just double checking everything with the microfich's just to be sure.....to be sure to be sure :)

Dynomutt
06-02-2011, 09:30 PM
Slacken off the rear engine mounting bolts, this will usually allow the frame to 'relax' enough to allow the swingarm to slide in easily.Once the swinger is in you can tighten everything back up again.

Harry
07-02-2011, 05:13 PM
quote:Originally posted by Dynomutt

Slacken off the rear engine mounting bolts, this will usually allow the frame to 'relax' enough to allow the swingarm to slide in easily.Once the swinger is in you can tighten everything back up again.
thanks for the advice mutt but there's no engine in it, every thing is just back from the powder coater's..all paint has been removed from sealing surface's and iv even givin the shim's a work out with sand paper to try and get the fly shit of space i need to get it into the mount's,it's so close it's bullshit.
iv had to walk away several time's:( but i'll keep at it,iv had the thing in twice befor powder coating so i know it goes

Redmohawk
07-02-2011, 06:01 PM
when its powder coated they cook the fucker to somewhere around 200 deg this could make your frame move a little, due to stress relaxation of welds (at a guess)

Harry
07-02-2011, 09:54 PM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

when its powder coated they cook the fucker to somewhere around 200 deg this could make your frame move a little, due to stress relaxation of welds (at a guess)
G'day adam. the thought has crossed my mind mate, i did think about trying to spread the frame a tad with a small hydrolic jack but at this stage that's the last option for me,it's cost a small fortune to powder coat every thing and im trying not to mark the bike in any way but it's got to go in soon it's holding every thing up[B)]

Redmohawk
08-02-2011, 05:06 AM
I wouldnt mess with the frame , just adjust your spacer washer mate.

Harry
08-02-2011, 09:26 AM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

I wouldnt mess with the frame , just adjust your spacer washer mate.
na not going to touch the frame mate, it's just the devil's in my head talking to me !

Dynomutt
09-02-2011, 07:53 PM
Did the powder coaters mask off the inside faces where the swingarm mounts? If not the thickness of the powdercoat could well be preventing the arm sliding in there easily. Leave the frame out in the sun for the afternoon so it all warms up and expands, and drop the arm in the chest freezer over night, you should be able to fit them together. Failing that you may have to remove the powdercoating on the inside faces of the frame where the swingarm pivot is. My powdercoater always masks off any critical areas like these. What frame is it?

bladehunter
09-02-2011, 09:43 PM
There's sun in Ol' Blighty ?

Dynomutt
10-02-2011, 07:00 AM
There's sun in blighty alright, it's about 30p and gets pushed through the letterbox every morning by the paperboy.

bladehunter
10-02-2011, 11:38 AM
It's that the one with the page 3 girls ?

Dynomutt
10-02-2011, 07:18 PM
Oh yes!!

Harry
10-02-2011, 11:14 PM
Hi guys, mutt i sealed the swinga mounts with washers held in place with nut and bolt though the middle so all was good there, the frame is a one of job being a 96 bandit frame thats been widened 20mm on one side to take a 08 busa swinga, either way i went to the local engineers and had them laser cut me some shims at .6mm and did away with the 1mm ones, the arm was still very firm going in and feels good so iv now got a rolling chassie to work on....motor in this week end fingers crossed. The bike is in my ride under the name banbusa. Cheers:)