PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning K+N pod filters

George Mac
21-01-2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Guys
Whats the best way to clean K+N pods? Can I use water and mild soap and wash from the inside out, or do I have to use the K+N cleaning fluid. Do I have to oil them afterwards, and again does it have to be a K+N oil.
Cheers in advance

chopiesel
21-01-2011, 05:10 PM
iv always just used soapy water and compressed air

Deano
21-01-2011, 05:25 PM
I just buy a k and n recharge kit. Just use that they are only $20 or do. Apply the degreaser wash out from the inside let dry then apply oil. It is easier go use the k and n stuff to be honest. They have instructions in it as well

21-01-2011, 06:36 PM
Once upon a time I was in charge of the motorcycle division of the company that imports K&N.

I know that many people use all sorts of liquids to wash out K&N filters. The best way to clean them is with the K&N cleaning stuff. Next best is degreaser to break the oil down. Soap and water does bugger-all. Petrol will kill the cotton filter material quicker than just about anything.

Be very careful with compressed air. The cotton is held between two layers of stainless steel mesh and being heavy-handed with the airgun can actually separate the fibres and push them out through the mesh. This causes holes that will allow small dust and small rocks to be sucked in.

By far the best way to dry a K&N filter is: Flick as mush water out of the filter as you can. Leave the filter to dry in the sun or in front of a heater if you're in Pomgolia.

The K&N aerosol oil is very simple to use. The trick is to spray it on lightly, wait half an hour and then re-spray any areas that aren't pink. I've used some other spray-on oils but most of them are too thick.

A K&N filter that is covered with oil mixed with dust will still passes more air than most engines need. Most people wash their filters way more often than they really need to.

The Aussie importer and distributor will cover all K&N air filters for the 1.6-million km warranty. Unless they've been washed out with petrol. After looking at enough filters, you can see and smell the difference.

MTBEERWAH
21-01-2011, 08:36 PM
so whats the verdict on kero?

21-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Never tried it.

Kero is 'oily' . . . Would have to try it before I could say.

Hopefully someone has and will share their experience.

fimpBIKES
22-01-2011, 10:52 AM
i wouldnt, just stick to a kit
you get that cool red oil too :D

George Mac
22-01-2011, 01:31 PM
Went out and bought the kit, only 25 bucks and I get the cool red oil which kind of goes with the candy red tank.

MTBEERWAH
22-01-2011, 09:17 PM
i say that, cause i`ve always used kero to clean filters for the past 25yrs cause it is an oil and was waiting for a bad reply, well, so far so good.
quote:Originally posted by playswithnitro

Never tried it.

Kero is 'oily' . . . Would have to try it before I could say.

Hopefully someone has and will share their experience.