PDA

View Full Version : Custom Gears Needed

Mishdog20
18-01-2011, 08:54 PM
Righto Fella's, I need a pair of gears to replace a set of sheared ones in a vintage Qualos metal Lathe. The Gears??? are a part of the auto feedie jobby thingo on the Lathe, but they were sheared when i acquired the Lathe. Anyways, does anyone know of a company that could possibly supply me with a set, or even custom make me a set? There is a local place called ALBINS off road, but id probably have to sell all my organs to get em from those guys. Heres a pic of em with the correct sizes, hope it helps. Cheers Everyone for looking.:D

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae232/mishdog20/Qualosgears.jpg

Deano
18-01-2011, 09:45 PM
Hardman brothers eng in breaside
Ronson gears in highett
Gear cutters in dandenong

Be prepared for a big bill for two custom gears my estimate would be about a grand for the pair

Redmohawk
19-01-2011, 04:57 AM
or seeing as you have the old ones, and a lathe (abet one that doesnt compleatly work) maching a cutter the right shape beg/borrow/steel a rotorary table (you know you want one bad if you have a lathe anyhow) and cut your own from tool steel then harden yourself !?

Mishdog20
19-01-2011, 05:44 AM
Thanks guys for the quick reply. Ya reckon they will be that expensive Deano, bloody ell. I expected maybe 400 bucks but not a thou. Cheers anyways Red, im pretty sure i'd balls that up Royally mate, haha. Guess ill have to keep trolling the archives on the net tryin to find someone with some spares. Thanks a ton fellas.

Booster
19-01-2011, 07:38 AM
try Cottam engineering in Berrigan, 0358 852 288,Talk to Joe ... they do lots of gears for agricultural stuff including gearboxes etc, be lots cheaper than the city .
Also run a file over the gear , i bet its not hard probably just cast, no real load on an autofeed

Mishdog20
19-01-2011, 03:53 PM
Cheers Booster, ill have a look at the gears when i get home tonight.