PDA

View Full Version : USD front end conversion

USH
17-01-2011, 11:32 AM
Hey guys,
I want to do an USD front end swap on my 07 SV1000.
Now I’ve narrowed it down and figured I need a 04-05 GSXR750 front end. That allows me to keep the original steering lock, original steering dampener, original wheel, and original disks. Plus I only need 5mm spacers to make the GSXR brakes fit over the original disks.

Now I live in regional Vic and bike wreckers that do road bikes are really thin around this area (200km from Melb)

I've seen one set on eBay in Aus in the last 6 months, that was in Syd and organising freight was just too hard (from my end). Plus it was a private sale and no guarantee that they were straight.
By the looks of it I may have to get them from the states, because they seem to come up all the time over there. But once again no guarantee of condition or if they are straight.

Who has brought forks or front end conversions from the states?

What should I be looking out for when/if I buy over ebay?

What should I be paying for a front end conversion? (forks, upper and lower triple, callipers <optional front guard, clips ons>) seems to be around $1000AUD delivered from the states second-hand.

How important is it for them to be checked for straightness on a run-out gauge?

And does anyone around Melbourne have ties with a motorcycle wrecker that could keep their eyes out for me? Or knows of a set for sale?

Cheers,

Ush

Shadowzone
17-01-2011, 11:57 AM
Jo aka Crazymofo had a set for sale. He may still have them I'm not sure, butthey come up in the for sale section on here all the time mate.

PM him and ask if he still has them, if not keep your eyes out and you will be right, you'll find a set on here soon enough as we all change our front ends from time to time as we change our bikes looks and appearances.

xa-mont
17-01-2011, 12:10 PM
hey mate.

I have done pretty much the same thing (only a little harder cause mine is a 650)

It is so easy it isn't even funny.

I got my entire front end (everything GSXR that i needed) from ebay in the states from a seller called dietzracing http://myworld.ebay.com.au/dietzracing&ssPageName=STRK:MEFSX:SELLERID

They didn't actually have what i wanted listed, so i sent him a message and he put together all the bits i wanted and the postage was very reasonable.

I think i got out of the whole affair for about $1300ish but that was including a front wheel and disks, and a custom speedo pickup. all of which you wont need.

If you need any more help let me know and i'm happy to tell all i know.

Also check out svdownunder.com.au for more SV stuff. (i'm over there as well)

Gitzy
17-01-2011, 12:44 PM
quote:Originally posted by USH

By the looks of it I may have to get them from the states, because they seem to come up all the time over there. But once again no guarantee of condition or if they are straight.

Who has brought forks or front end conversions from the states?
I have bought 1 set of forks from Joe, and 2 from States.. no dramas at all..
What should I be looking out for when/if I buy over ebay?
I'd prob buy from a reputable wreckers like Simpson Cycles or SPORTBIKEPARTS2U as opposed to a private seller.
What should I be paying for a front end conversion? (forks, upper and lower triple, callipers <optional front guard, clips ons>) seems to be around $1000AUD delivered from the states second-hand.
With our strong Auusie Dollar 1K should get you out of trouble my last conversion was about $1200-$1300 total and all parts were from States
How important is it for them to be checked for straightness on a run-out gauge?
Hmmm prob pretty important but I never had any of mine checked and they ran great if you could get your hands on stuff to test them, give it a go..

Remember all GSXR Radial brakes have a 108mm bolt position (so do some others eg R6) so you can mix and match calipers depending if you want black or gold or dull gold.. etc..

Here's some starters for you.. This is a great shop, lots of pics per item.. I've bought heaps from them.. Don't be scared to buy stuff separate, they will all bolt together in the end..

Forks
http://stores.ebay.com/SPORTBIKEPARTS2U/_i.html?_nkw=gsxr+forks&submit=Search&_sid=24313585

Calipers
http://stores.ebay.com/SPORTBIKEPARTS2U/_i.html?_nkw=gsxr+calipers&submit=Search&_sid=24313585

Fight_fan
17-01-2011, 02:26 PM
^^^How are they for postage costs Todd??? Some really good parts in there hey!

Gitzy
17-01-2011, 02:40 PM
I think the calipers are $60 an the forks are $100.. they combine shipping though.. and even at that price the item plus shipping is still good compared to Oz prices I think..

xa-mont
17-01-2011, 04:09 PM
your not wrong.

When i did mine the cheapest i could find in aus wanted 2600 for a complete front end. what a crock of shit.

bladehunter
17-01-2011, 04:33 PM
I got some forks off a Ducati GT 1000 Sport off Evilbay from the states for about $350ish including postage. It's well worth the effort

Dynomutt
18-01-2011, 07:35 PM
You can use GSXR1000K3/K4 forks which are the same dimensions as the 750K4/5 forks. The yokes are the same for GSXR1000K1 to K4, and have the same dimensions as the 750K4/5 yokes, the stem is slightly shorter on the 750 compared to the 1000. From 1000K5 the offset reduced from 32mm to 30mm, but K5/6 stayed the same 207mm centres 50mm top and 54mm bottom. You can run the SV wheel in K5/6 forks with the K5/6 spindle, and the black K5/6 calipers need no spacers for the disc size. You cn use the later black calipers on the earlier forks, and you would not need spacers to run the 310mm SV discs. Ignition was offset to the right upto 1000K4 then was central from 1000K5. I've done early K series wheel into later K series forks using the later spindle. The GSXR stuff mixes and matches easily. All Japanese radial calipers are 108mm spacing except the 6 pot R1 calipers, the Duc, Aprilia, KTM calipers are 100mm centres. I can't remember what the Triumph ones are I seem to think they are 108mm same as Jap but don't take it as gospel.

USH
19-01-2011, 05:06 PM
Thanks guys,
Loads of information from you all!!!
More than i've found elsewhere...
Looks like i'll get getting them from the states. But more than likely from a shop like what Gitzy posted, just to make sure i've got my backside covered...
Thanks guys, i'll keep you posted. Any more info will be much appreciated!

Ush

sickboy
19-01-2011, 05:34 PM
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y196/sickbouy/svshock016.jpg
I did the USD conversion about 4 years ago using k3/4 gixxer 1000 forks and brakes I got from cheeseBay US $600 delivered and got the triples localy,I had to make up some brackets to mount the headlights and speedo.there is a write up in the your Ride section wot I did n shit.good luck.