PDA

View Full Version : suzuki guage clusters?

leathalbusa
09-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Has anybody swapped the guage clusters on their gsr's around? I have removed my Freaking large set from the busa and was wondering if one of the smaller sets from the 750 or 1000 will fit ? the plug looks the same? any help?

Stocky
09-03-2007, 05:02 PM
Yes they do fit and work.

The issues are mostly around the temp reading.

What year Busa is it ?

I might be able to figure out which GSXR guage might work.

You'll be stuck with a K1-4 one as the K5 plug is different and not easy to make work.

I'm guessing the K1-2 one will be more likely to work than the K3-4 one.

The K3-4 one does have a shift light but it also has a 32bit ECU so ...... ?

You could always blow 2 grand and buy a plug and play kit like this ....

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/7394029742830.JPG

10-03-2007, 04:42 AM
quote:Originally posted by Stocky

I'm guessing the K1-2 one will be more likely to work than the K3-4 one.

The K3-4 one does have a shift light but it also has a 32bit ECU so ...... ?

The ECU may be 32 bit, but the bus (data bus, not hirebus) could well still be 16 bit. Check the input processing chip. If the connectors are the same, and the display functions are the same, then odds on that the K1-2 and K3-4 are the same. How many pins in the connector?
Most of these buses are serial, rather than parallel, resulting in fewer i/o lines required on the send/receive chips, only 3 or 4 pins for serial, as averse to 16/32 pins for parallel, and that takes up a LOT more space on the electronics boards and wiring, and is more costly to produce, plus most advanced processor chips these days have serial processor units built in. Serial also means that the dash processor chip doesn't have to be redesigned just because the ECU has been. If the display is basically the same there wouldn't be any benefit having a 32 bit bus, quite the opposite, they'd be transmitting a lot of 'empty' data thereby slowing down the transmission time and making timing more critical than necessary.
A 16 bit bus will give a numeric value up 32,000, more than enough to cover revs, which is the most significant number that the ECU will be transmitting to the display. Speed/temperature/fuel/ all have low values, below 400.
If you can send me the connector pin count and/or pin descriptions I can probably tell you.

leathalbusa
10-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Cool thanks. my busa is an 06 model and the gauge cluster I am looking at is off a 96 model. the plug looked the same. I am not worried about the temp guage so much as the speedo but I cas speed calibrate that after was just hoping that if I buy the cluster and plug it in that it wont play havoc with all the other stuff. ie the TRE and the power comanderIII. thats all.

thanks

10-03-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd do a bit more checking before paying out the dosh. An awful lot has happened in electronics over the last 10 years. A 2-3 year period isn't that significant, but microcontrollers (the processing chip in both units) have eveolved quite substantially since 96', ie RS232 serial comms weren't the standard format they are today, many manufacturers had their own formats. And 8 bit serial comms were the standard back then whereas the Busa unit could well be running 16 bit. Can you get one to test on before laying out the cash, or are they cheap enough to test with?
Do you, or anyone else here, know of busa and gsxr sites which might carry information such as pinout descriptions. Or can you supply me with a diagram and chip labels for both units.

Stocky
11-03-2007, 07:36 AM
The speedo , tacho etc will work fine.

The temp will probably not.

I have herd of guys fittng K3/4 guages to older models and the temp guage didn't work.

That's why I mentioned it.

The guages will not stuff up a TRE or a PC3. The guages are set up very "dumb"

They just show info, they don't pass it on to anyhting.

PS. If you run a TRE on a Busa you have streetfightered you should change the value of the TRE.

NakedTurboBusa
21-03-2007, 07:20 PM
this has been a topic of interest for me for about 2 years...

Is the info thus for 1st hand.... if so please post any specifics known,

My Bathtub (busaturbo) is 2000 vintage.

cheers

Booster
21-03-2007, 09:53 PM
Busa gauges all interchange, only speedo calibration is different, changed in 01, which can be fixed with a speedo healer.
Some info here
http://www.suzukihayabusa.org/forum/index.php?topic=85551.0
if your a member try pm ing the guy that fitted 02 1K gauges.

Booster
21-03-2007, 09:55 PM
And if you want to sell a std gauge set,damaged is ok if the tacho isn't wrecked let me know..;)

leathalbusa
23-03-2007, 04:05 PM
yeah Mate will have a guage cluster off my busa to part company with. 06 model with only 9 k on them. was going to post them up for sale after I sorted out the 750 set.

NakedTurboBusa
24-03-2007, 09:55 AM
Has anyone got a k1-k2 cluster for sale.....

Cheers for the help

Pete

leathalbusa
16-05-2007, 05:34 PM
ok guys just got a guage cluster from a 96 gsxr750 to put it on my 06 busa. plugged it in . the plug fits and has the same pin count but in a different order. where can I find the wirring diagrams for these 2? Have the 750 harness too. so I might play a bit.looks good behind the little fairing. just have to figure out some mounting brackets now.

pt
16-05-2007, 10:11 PM
mate ive got the wiring diagram (in the manual) for a 97 gsxr600, which should be exactly the same?

PS. the gauges are rather large? maybe theyre smaller cause they dont have the big wings liek the busa ones do.

chopiesel
16-05-2007, 10:23 PM
alot of guys run gixxer gauges on the tl's little bit of wire swapping in the plug and the temp gauge wont work. but pretty easy all in all.

Booster
16-05-2007, 11:39 PM
quote:Originally posted by pt

mate ive got the wiring diagram (in the manual) for a 97 gsxr600, which should be exactly the same?

PS. the gauges are rather large? maybe theyre smaller cause they dont have the big wings liek the busa ones do.

And i have the busa one on CD, send me your address and i'll post a copy .

leathalbusa
17-05-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys.

Who need temp anyway. not on fire= not hot.