PDA

View Full Version : 3,200 Km road trip- ADVICE PLEASE!

madmaxman1986
09-03-2007, 02:50 AM
It will be my golden birthday this june 21st and I don't really want to do what everyone wants me to do.([xx(][xx(][xx(]) so...I thought a nice, long road trip on the ratfighter would be a great way to spend a week and a half. the ride would be from Eden Prairie, Minnesota to Baja, california, with many stops along the way such as Las Vegas and Bonneville salt flats. Sounds pretty fun.

ANY TIPS ON LONG-DISTANCE RIDING???
I bet you old guys got something to say!
I should look something like this when riding,

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/93876119548599.jpg

I don't want to bring much, and yes, I do have a military belt and packs like Toecutter in the picture, the boots too, but I'm not wearing them.

exile
09-03-2007, 04:42 AM
Take a clean pair of pants and some sensible shooooooooooz:D

03gixxerpilot
09-03-2007, 06:54 AM
ovious but still going to mention it
Go over the bike with a fine tooth comb and make sure every thing is in good order, give it a full service befor leaving, and if you don't belong to an auto breakdown club, join one, they are an absoulte god send if you breakdown, or even get a flat
Other than that you LUCKY BASTARD have fun and if possible take photos and post them up when you get back or as you can
ride safe.

09-03-2007, 08:47 AM
I'd suggest something like a tank bag or saddlebags mate, you'll want to carry some tools,emergency puncture repair kit etc, and possibly workshop manual. Take a printout of dealers and wreckers along your route, one or two good maps, couple of changes of clothes, plus swimmers.

And a banjo if you're going deep into the woods :D

BOHEMION
09-03-2007, 08:51 AM
MP3 player is a must

Moby phone
A Hydra or Cammel Pack and lots of water
bog roll ( Can never trust servo food)

09-03-2007, 10:57 AM
If you're really hardcore, all you need is a toothbrush and credit card.

09-03-2007, 12:25 PM
I just comleted 3000ks this week[:o)]Start with ya bike,at the front:)work the way back locktite`n ALL of ya bolts;)give it a service;)CLEAN ya chain[8D]afta doing that,pack the tools ya just used into ya travelling clobber:Dtake some chain lube;)& a clear visor:DI had a BAD morning ride on the best road & took a while to get rythem only cause i coodn`t see:(one more thing,take a tiny amount of engine oil:D[8D]

Gix11
09-03-2007, 01:33 PM
How is the weather going to be at that time of year? If it's really hot get used to the idea of being sweaty a lot and keep lots of thin layers for when it gets cold into the night. I think your cell phone will be the ultimate life line. You're never far from anyone now with them mate. (Don't forget your charger!)

09-03-2007, 05:09 PM
ah yes...run with the Toecutter theme. No one will steal your bike.

09-03-2007, 05:16 PM
Oh & sorry the BEST thing i did was buy a set of "Skins";)if ya wear leathers they are like the suit Kathy Freeman wears when she runs[:p]not cheap,but sooooo good;)$250.00au for a full set[8)]

loosebruce
09-03-2007, 06:36 PM
I like the Toecutters' version of "Skins", local puss cat!
Good advise, check everything before you go.
A few days on a bike is a great way to clear your head.

madmaxman1986
11-03-2007, 02:39 PM
wow, thanks a ton guys. you named ALOT of stuff I probably would have forgotten. It's going to be HOT, mid summer in the desert[8)]!
I'm gonna buy a digital camera with a panoramic lens, i'll get some good shots, possibly for next years calender...

Check out the hotel I'm stayin' at [8D]
http://bellagio.com/pages/frameset_flash.asp
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/2829008335379.jpg

My room will be in that center colum, near the middle.
I CANNOT wait to pull up the the front door on the 'fighter behind a rolls royce and ask the valet to snap a photo of me in front of the lobby!:D
Bonneville is goint to be unreal, too cool.

Thanks again fellas, I'll make sure to post plenty of pics early july. It will be here in no time:D!

-cale
minnesota, USA

BOHEMION
12-03-2007, 01:30 PM
Maybe also:

Take a towel and a hand full of plastic bags, Wrap your wallet,toilet paper and phone and any other valuables in a plastic bag for extra protection with rain. Also if you go for a swim where ever, You can place ya wet gear and wet towel in the plastic bags and get back on the road knowing all ya valuables and stuff arnt going to get wet, also take about 10-20m of nylon rope (lighweight and thin) never know when it could come in handy.

Torch and batteries - and a battery operated mini FM/AM radio.

Benz
12-03-2007, 06:32 PM
And a litre of water, in case you're in the middle of nowhere, fixing somethin, doesn't take long to dehydrate.

12-03-2007, 06:52 PM
And don't forget a trailer to carry alll this crap :D

BOHEMION
12-03-2007, 06:57 PM
tank bag and back pack should suffice [8D]

trailers are for beemer riders and support crew on ducati sunday meets

MDM
15-03-2007, 09:04 PM
Put NEW tyres on before you leave - a reasonable compound too - summat that'll get your over the 2000 miles so you don't have the hassle of changing a tyre halfway there (or back)
Don't use and MP3 player or Walkman... enjoy the ride for what it is - a road trip, total freedom, just you, the bike and the open road. And all that Zen shit...:D

Lucky bast...

dane_ra
16-03-2007, 07:51 AM
I agree with MDM, enjoy the bike and the road. The straight bits'll make you a little crazy, but its an experience