PDA

View Full Version : Bought a sandblaster today

sharky
08-03-2007, 07:35 PM
I bought one of those diy sandblasters today...kinda like a very basic spray gun. Seems to work ok although it won't remove the really heavy rust discolouration.
This is st/st
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/93876070912570.JPG

and a rusty piece of steel....
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/93876070931955.jpg

And one of my float bowls
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/93876070913020.jpg

This was with basic Mitre 10 fine sand ($4 a kilo).
I have bought a large bag of salt tonight ($1 a kilo) and I'll try that this w/e...just out of curiousity really.....The pucka stuff is about $40 a kilo !!!
Anyone out there used anything unusual for blasting ?

RUSS M8
08-03-2007, 07:46 PM
only used garnett for blasting. seemed to go alright, but I'm not a blasting expert... [:p]

megareg
08-03-2007, 09:10 PM
The salt idea sounds good, having particles of sand/garnet imbedded or not cleaned out properly really scares me, with salt, just wash, rinse and all good... Where did you get it??

08-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Yeah, where, how much etc. Details and pics mate

Deano
08-03-2007, 09:34 PM
we sell a few different types of sandblasters. from the cabinet style to the hand held type. we also sell the grit for them $49 per 20kg bag

sharky
08-03-2007, 09:36 PM
Got it from local shop for $40. I'll put up and pic and name tomoro.
Trying to find a substitute for glass beads as they are the best to finish aluminium with (sand first, then glass, gives dull effect and smooths the surface.)

08-03-2007, 09:38 PM
What size cabinets Deano, be handy to have something like that in the garage. I'm in a townhouse, so no backyard to go frre form in.

sharky
09-03-2007, 05:17 PM
Deano, Can you supply glass beads for aluminium blasting ?

sharky
09-03-2007, 07:16 PM
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/7394050025013.jpg

This is the gun...high tech, high quality bit of kit [:o)]

cutcat
09-03-2007, 08:41 PM
Dude, I go to the local cement works for my sand. Ask for the garnet or similar and take a bucket or two, they usually give it to you or it may cost you half a D.

sharky
12-03-2007, 08:14 PM
Take an old filing cabinet,old kitchen cupboard doors, some perspex and a few VB's....
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/49186419538760.jpg

Et Voila'...diy sandblast cabinet.
I've now stripped down the gun to its basic componenets so I can do away with the pot and connect up a feed hose instead.

luke4130
13-03-2007, 06:52 PM
Thats a pretty good DIY cabinate m8. Good to see someone putting spare time to good use! Btw, I was looking at a Supercheap catalogue not long ago and they had a cheaparse sandblaster there that might be worth checking out..bout $30 but its plastic and like one of those interior spray kits sold at Kmart.

sharky
21-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Just an update.
I made a few mods...
Put an arm hole on the left side so its easier to hold bits in left hand and blast with the right.
And I added a hole on the right hand side up top at back for a vacuum cleaner hose. This sucks away the fine dust that fills the air so that when you release the trigger so you can see your bit. Had to drill a few air holes in the front as it created a vacuum, but it does now suck through all the cracks thus keeping the dust inside.

pt
28-06-2008, 07:39 PM
what does everyone reckon the best home blasting material is? just went down the beach and got some sand and it works ok, but it's a bit suss taking 20 kilos of beach sand....

don't have a cabinet so theres no way i'm spending 50 bucks for 20 kilos only to spray it around the yard.

or should i knock up a cabinet?

Phill
28-06-2008, 08:10 PM
kiln dried tilers sand! silicone free and about $20 for 40kg bag at most hardware and tilers shops. works good, cheap and silicone free so "friendly" to use

pt
28-06-2008, 08:49 PM
quote:Originally posted by Phill

kiln dried tilers sand! silicone free and about $20 for 40kg bag at most hardware and tilers shops. works good, cheap and silicone free so "friendly" to use

whats the issue with silicone? please excuse my ignorance...

EFE 1230
28-06-2008, 08:54 PM
SODA you can get it from your local farmers feed & grain store. With a good compressor/regulator combo it's possible to blast the clear coat off a paint job, the soda won't leave a rough finish like grit or bead blasting on alloy as it is soft just gives the part a good cleaning back to the factory new look.

336LJ
28-06-2008, 11:36 PM
I just used the sandblaster my mate had, looks like a paintball gun, gravity fed etc. 12 bucks for a 20kg bag of the grey stuff.

Did the exhaust off the 250 and forgot to bring it home so I'd imagine its out in the dew with a lovely shade of surface rust on it.

Tried to do my mates inner guards on the impala but the yanks must dip them in bitumen, need a more coarse medium. but not sure how long the plastic tip on the gun will last.

I still have the shit all in my hair eyebrows face, nose arms ass crack hehe

Jockney Rebel
29-06-2008, 12:48 AM
quote:Originally posted by pt

silicosis...its a long winded way of nature killing u off

Jockney Rebel
29-06-2008, 12:50 AM
another medium ive heard used is crushed walnut shells ..or maybe i dreamt it ...

KRASH
29-06-2008, 09:26 AM
try bi carb of soda for bits you want to clean easily afterwards.
it works a treat...
Its good for fine work as well...

pt
29-06-2008, 08:14 PM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

quote:Originally posted by pt

silicosis...its a long winded way of nature killing u off

oh woops, just spent the afternoon breathing it in. oh well. better put my spraying mask to use. sounds very much like asbestosis etc etc.

oh and walnut shells is recommended for some items i read.

i'm finding the sand way too soft, it isn't getting rid of the surface rust i need to move. go for something really tough?

29-06-2008, 10:14 PM
soda ash for a top result on engine externals,but it really depends om what your blasting and how bad it is.i don't recommend salt/beach sand on any metal surface.theres a bloke up my way thats got a tric sandblaster,the finest sand costs $1000/kg from Egypt.

336LJ
30-06-2008, 02:59 AM
quote:Originally posted by davo

soda ash for a top result on engine externals,but it really depends om what your blasting and how bad it is.i don't recommend salt/beach sand on any metal surface.theres a bloke up my way thats got a tric sandblaster,the finest sand costs $1000/kg from Egypt.

aaha i thought it was wierd paying for water,.. they are selling their sand for 1000 a kilo! at least if the oil dries up they have an infinite amount of sand to keep em going :P.

What exactly is soda ash? I watch the vids of the guys doing "soda blasting" which looked like it had water sprayed in with it which was good for thin metal cause it didnt put any heat into it