PDA

View Full Version : New helmet

Anakist
08-01-2011, 10:56 PM
I am looking for a new helmet. Started with a second hand Shoei XR-1000, and have been using an OGK Aeroblade for 4 years or so.

Wish List:

Quiet (Probably the biggest factor. I remember the OGK being both louder and less aerodynamic when I first got it. It has lots of wind noise at highway speeds)

Good venting (Probably second on the list. It is bloody hot in Rocky and I sweat a lot)

Chin space (The Aeroblade has so little the mic of the intercom I have touches my face constantly, and has to be bent out of the helmet before I can take it off)

Good field of view (I have to move my whole head to see the speedo on the Buell)

I am debating about a flip up helmet, but they seem to be at odds with the quiet need. I wear glasses so I do need the helmet to fit the glasses. I don't need fancy graphics, I think I will go white to seem a more police like to the cages. I don't really have a budget, but do want good bang for buck.

Thanks.

James

RevHead
09-01-2011, 06:56 AM
best thing to do here is to walk into a bike shop ,and try some on ,dont forget your glasses,

KATO ZX7
09-01-2011, 07:31 AM
^^^ theres the obvious

I have a few AGV helmets in my time, ive never had a complaint about them or my Shoei that i wear now.

Price shouldnt matter, you cant replace your head

Jup
09-01-2011, 07:45 AM
The problem is that many bike shops won't let you test ride the helmet, and the number 1 factor Anakist is concerned with is wind noise, which you can't tell until you go for a ride.

I'd love some ideas on this too mate, I ride huge distances and highway speeds, wear glasses, and want to reduce wind noise.

Does anyone know if there has been any objective testing done? I can't imagine that helmet manufacturers aren't aware that this is a factor when purchasing a helmet.

sharky
09-01-2011, 08:18 AM
Just buy the one that fits/looks right...and wear ear plugs....
If had worn 'em for the last 25 yrs of riding I wouldn't be fukin deaf like I am now....

fimpBIKES
09-01-2011, 08:25 AM
was looking at an agv k4 last year and i found it to be very lacking in the chin area
could move it backwards and forwards with my tongue [:P]

+1 for earplugs

09-01-2011, 09:50 AM
New Shoei TZ-X is the quietest helmet I've ever owned.

+2 on the earplugs

skoerbin
09-01-2011, 10:07 AM
ive had a shoei tzr and it was super quiet and super comfy,
then had an r-jays sp2 (that i got for less than 300 with a tinted visor) which was almost as comfortable as the shoei but it was a bit noisy at highway speed unless all the vents were closed. i had a crash in that helmet and i faired well, didnt hit my head too hard but enough to make some decent scratches and marks on it and i didnt feel it.
now ive got a kbc vr-2 (which is a mates pillion helmet) until i get some cash to get a new one and its ok, nothing special

chopiesel
09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
my xr-1000 is the quietest helmet iv ever used, my arai corsair is the best venting, but noisy.

Shadowzone
09-01-2011, 10:24 AM
My KBC I bought because I needed something to run a bike up the highway from Toowoomba to Townsville in October is quieter than my Shoei. I also wear glasses and to dull the noise from the wind I have my mp3 player playing. earplugs are a definite if you're not already suffering from hearing loss and/or tinitus like I do.

I agree with trying them all on though, and speak to the guys in the shop, if you know them leave a deposit equal to the cost of the helmet and they shouldn't have an issue with test riding the helmet at least that way if anything happens they have been paid for it. If they don't want to play or help you then find another shop.

ALBI
09-01-2011, 11:56 AM
could just use a 10gal bucket and spend the reast on hookers ???? just a thought !!

Redmohawk
09-01-2011, 12:50 PM
I have a few helmetsand they all seem pritty much the same on noise (loud) so I lashed out a few years ago and got good moulded earplugs with fittings for speakers. Mp3 player is great, can listen to music at low volumes and hear it well , but still hear trafic noises enough to be safe, and my bike is drowned out (loud as pipes)

JackTar
09-01-2011, 07:50 PM
quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

My KBC I bought because I needed something to run a bike up the highway from Toowoomba to Townsville in October is quieter than my Shoei.

I have a KBC and it is like being in a fucking aircraft testing wind tunnel without a helmet. Piece of shit.

oldskool
09-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Will you cunts speak up!
Except you Kato I hear you loud and clear!

nick76
10-01-2011, 08:22 AM
I guess more vents,is gonna equal more wind noise??
No good buying the quietest helmet on the market,if it doesn't suit the shape of your head.

If quiet and venting are your two most important things your looking for,get the one with the most vents,and use earplugs??

And if the venting still isn't enough,maybe you could drill some extra holes in it?? (just kidding)

latheboy
10-01-2011, 08:43 AM
Just get the one that fits good and before any ride have a tea spoon of concrete...

JackTar
10-01-2011, 06:51 PM
Best lid I ever had was a cheap HJC one.

ralph
10-01-2011, 06:53 PM
I have a kbc and for probably the first and hopefully the last time I agree with Jacktar
Cost me $140 1 year ago. Starting to crack all over lower vinyl lining and the noisyest hat I,ve ever had but it fits is light and it was cheap.
Im happy enough to use it every day

K6Thou
10-01-2011, 07:42 PM
I've got a cheap RXT and also a shoei RF1100 and the RXT is shit ( I hear you say most cheap helmets are) but the shoei is the best helmet I have owned.

My 2c.

JackTar
12-01-2011, 02:06 AM
quote:Originally posted by ralph

I have a kbc and for probably the first and hopefully the last time I agree with Jacktar

That is bullshit ralph, you agreed with me when I said you are a tool, or was that everyone else that agreed? I forget.

KATO ZX7
12-01-2011, 05:33 AM
KBC not recommended for riding in the rain, they leak....
alot :D

Just ask Trev.

morrigan
12-01-2011, 05:08 PM
quote:Originally posted by latheboy

Just get the one that fits good and before any ride have a tea spoon of concrete...

X2! It doesn't matter what helmet someone else recommends. Your head will be slightly different and you need to find whatever fits best. The bike shop proprietor should be able to give you good advice on how a helmet should fit. If not, don't buy there. Get some earplugs.

ralph
12-01-2011, 05:41 PM
quote:That is bullshit ralph, you agreed with me when I said you are a tool, or was that everyone else that agreed? I forget.

Must have been everyone else, from what I recall, you were still trying to work out wether or not I'm human

Anakist
14-01-2011, 04:48 PM
Yep wear earplugs already. Also have a nice set of canalphones that I use with my mp3 player.

Need a quieter helmet for the intercom so I can talk to my riding buddy.

James

slickncghia
14-01-2011, 06:59 PM
my next lid

icon variant
http://hellforleathermagazine.com/images/Icon_Variant_Helmet.jpg

as for roadbike lids... hmm. my shark rsi is shit. former suomy was shit. agv always seem shit to me. im no help.

on the earplugs debate. i dont like em. might save me from going deaf but it feels like they dull my senses

Dynomutt
15-01-2011, 12:49 AM
Shoei everytime for me, fairly quiet, good vents, the pinlock visor system stays clear even with the visor closed and pissing rain. I've crashed in a couple of them very heavily, and they stand up well to hitting tarmac at speed. Make sure you get one that is nice and snug as it will bed in over time, they all have removable washable interiors these days.

Bubble Boy
17-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Arai for me.
Great venting - quite a bit of wind noise though
had a couple of big spills wearing arai lids and always been happy to report no neck or head damage
go an arai and wear plugs (or pretend your a jetpilot[:p])