PDA

View Full Version : wheel alignment help pleease

chopiesel
08-01-2011, 12:09 PM
so as some of you may know iv got a jmc swingarm and 8.5 inch rear wheel on my tlr.

what would be the best way for me to get my rear wheel dead centre and measure what spacers i will need to make?

from what i can work out using a string between front and back will only work on a factory setup where the back wheel is already correctly spaced?

is there a fool proof way to do it without using sharks with laser beams?

ozzy1100
08-01-2011, 12:50 PM
been thinking of this myself chop and still dont know
but one way i have thought of is have the bike side ways level
then drop a plumb bob line to floor from center of stem
and one from a center of the swing arm pivet and protrac
a line thro both of them and use as the center for rear rim ?
if there is a better or easy way to do it use but best i have so far.....

Redmohawk
08-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry no shark but I did use a lazer.

I used a spirit level to set my last rear wheel change up. Had bike on Shed floor (close to level on centre stand) then packed under centre stand till bike was level (used level on swinger pivot without swinger in place (horozontal) and forks (vertical) with front wheel in temp brace to hold it square and pointing true forward straight to frame).

Then used lazer level ($120 at hardware store 2 years ago) on side of front wheel both sides , to mark a line to the rear of bike on concrete under swing arm. Marked where both lines were on concrete with fine texta for a metre , then measured half way and drew a line between for centre line of wheel. You could use strong cord/string in place of lazer but with a elcheepo lazer pointer and a staight edge you could make the same thing I used to mark the line for under $10 prob. Just get a bit of good straight hardwood say 10mm by 30mm from bunnings etc long enough to touch both sides of your front wheel under forks and tape a cheep lazer pointer to align it on a good flat suface like a full size pool table and away you go.

Once rear wheel was fitted looked spot on by eye and repeated the process from back wheel to front and everything matched up rides great!