PDA

View Full Version : How do I cut 3mm Stainless?

Thursty
03-01-2011, 10:39 PM
I'm about to make some brackets out of some 3mm stainless steel sheet.

Can I use an angle grinder? What type of blade should I use?

For drilling holes should I get a cobalt bit or would my ordinary bits get through?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EXBEN
03-01-2011, 11:24 PM
Angle grinder with a 1mm thick cutting disk works well.
Then a flap disk for clean up. Yes normal drill bits work, slow speed, preferably with some cutting fluid.

Rocket
04-01-2011, 08:24 AM
I sometimes have sordid and slightly moist dreams about owning a plasma cutter.
One of these days...

megawatt
04-01-2011, 09:00 AM
A Cobalt drill bit would be a lot easier , but more expensive than HSS.

Zooks
04-01-2011, 09:14 AM
Slow and steady wins the race when drilling hard materials. A bench drill (on the slowest speed setting) is usually the best.

Thursty
04-01-2011, 09:17 AM
Ok I'm off to get some bits, oh yeah what is a "flap disc"?

lurch
04-01-2011, 09:28 AM
quote:Originally posted by Thursty

Ok I'm off to get some bits, oh yeah what is a "flap disc"?

Similar to a normal grinding disc only it has strips (flaps) of abrasive attached to the disc

http://www.google.com.au/images?hl=en&q=flap%20disc&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=1259&bih=814

Redmohawk
04-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Get your self a few files of different grades and sizes while your at it mate, don't skimp on price get good ones and they will last you most of a lifetime. If you push Normal HSS drills to hard on stainless at to high a speed when the stainless gets hot it gets really hard and will make the end of your drill look like a blunt stick. Not enough pressure will cause it to skim the surface and do a similar thing.

Trick is to use a centre punch to lightly dent where you want your hole (stops drill wandering) then use firm but not silly pressure at a moderate speed (bigger the dril bit slower you need to drill. Will drill no prob just like mild steel, just let the material cool down and your drill bit if you plan on drilling multipul holes or see above.

If your planning on holes bigger than say 5mm use a small drill to make a pilot hole then go up in steps, get yourself a step drill (has mulipul setps on one shank made to drill sheet steel then you just keep going till you get to the size you want, best used with a drill press but can be used with a hand drill with care)

(edited for clarity)

Tony OW31
04-01-2011, 02:09 PM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

If your planning on holes bigger than say 5mm use a small drill to make a pilot hole then go up in steps,

Do not use this method when drilling sheet metal.

latheboy
04-01-2011, 03:55 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

If your planning on holes bigger than say 5mm use a small drill to make a pilot hole then go up in steps,

Do not use this method when drilling sheet metal.

Are you scared Tony.... Whats wrong with the job getting dragged up the drill to the chuck;)

And FFS dont hold the job in your hand.

Redmohawk
04-01-2011, 05:52 PM
sorry was refering to a step drill to go up in size, should have clarified. Right tool for the job and alls good, Never hold sheet metal in your hand while drilling.

Thursty
04-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Cheers, cut it sweet with 1mm disc and drilled slowly with HSS bit and some cutting fluid.

Thanks for the advice.

Now if you could just teach me to weld?

Redmohawk
04-01-2011, 05:58 PM
welding stainless isnt to hard, getting it where you wanted it is though lol Its expands and contracts heaps with heat so moves/distorts heaps when you weld it. Is a real art to getting it to go where you want it, something I don't have mastered by a long shot.

MTBEERWAH
04-01-2011, 06:44 PM
make sure when your cutting with 1mm discs that you let the blade do the work, don`t force the cut.