PDA

View Full Version : oil pumps

jmw76
25-12-2010, 11:22 AM
Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience blueprinting/modifying oil pumps for high power motors? I am currently contemplating making a special oil pump up with a larger capacity stage for the head cooling circuit (using the rotor assembly from the lubrication stage of a spare pump). I depend heavily on good oil circulation though the normal and head coolers to get rid of the heat. I do not get a lot of air flow round the engine in my configuration.

Cheers

Peter.

TurboKat
25-12-2010, 11:31 AM
I was looking through some Natsoft results & saw that your 'Quad' has done 1m 47s around the Island !! That's not hanging around.
I'm really keen to see some pics & details of this machine of yours Peter, I know it's not a bike but I'm willing to bet I'm not the only one on here who'd find it interesting.

jmw76
25-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Hi Turbo,
Our JMW has manged a 1:32.5 around Winton in the hands of my son James. It is reasonably quick. Hopefully with the rebuild during January it will be quicker again. If you want photos and videos, just google JMW 76 and you should get something.

As for the oil pump, I believe with a bit of machining to the earlier 1100 (G92) casting and fabrication of an adaptor sleeve you can fit the larger pump rotor assembly in place of the existing head circuit cooling stage. It looks like it will be a very neat fit in the crankcase area though.

jmw76
29-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Well after a bit of pondering, I decided to modify my oil pump to increase the flow through the cooler circuit. By using the larger oil pump rotor assembly from a spare pump, you can increase flow capacity by about 80%. I also opened up every oil gallery on the cooling circuit to cater for the extra flow (be warned this is a fair bit of work. Not one for those that are not mechanically inclinded).

Hopefully this extra oil flow will enable my head oil coolers to more effectively disipate the absorbed heat.

The modification involves machining the original pump to increase the pump chamber depth by an extra 4mm. Note: you can only machine the G92 casting. The G92-2 casting does not have enough metal.
You also have to make up a 6mm spacer to accomodate the new pump mechanism which is 10mm taller than the old one.

This new pump assembly is a very neat fit into the crank case.

I will post some pics later.

Cheers