PDA

View Full Version : Chain tension ( Loud buzzing from Front sprock)

BOHEMION
13-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Hey fellas,
May be a NOOB question but after I recieved some advie from a non ASF member I am fuking confus-deded

Ive got a violet buzzing noise comming from the front sprocket. I cleaned it and Lubed it up (used too much lube) Yesterday and tightened my chain. Now As I was tightening my chain a few weeks ago it noticed that half a rotation after adjusting it that the tnesion got tighter and as I went around again in the same direction it got looser or back to where I originally adjusted it too. I asked a mate about this and he told me that the Rear sprocket is not perfectly round (from factory) whish is why is loosens and tightens each revolution. WTF!!!

Basically Do you guys rekon my Chain is Fucked and is slappin around my front sprocket or what?

Just wanna hear ur way of cleaning and tensioning ur chain.

13-06-2006, 09:26 PM
how many K's on that sproket/chain mate? sounds like your tensioner has a stripped thread,if you keep tightening and get the same result then this is the problem,but you should feel it click as it jumps back a thread,highly unlikely your sprokit isnt round unless it was defective from new. but even cheap sprocks are good cosistency.also check your nylon chain guide on the swinger.

BOHEMION
13-06-2006, 11:02 PM
Chain is fine - there are no tight spots, Been muching aorund and seem to have bettered the problem, Th eBuzzing sound seems to be comming from the chain ends slapping on the outer guide of the sprocket ie too tight, I muked around for a while and it seems to be OKAY for now But i rekon the front sproket is abit worn, I'll keep an eye on it

willow
14-06-2006, 07:05 AM
How old is the chain? Chains don't wear evenly. One section will wear more than another - especially if you've been hammering the clutch while pulling wheelies etc. If you just got a new chain or sprocket and didn't replace everything, then the chain will sound like a 747 until it beds in.

14-06-2006, 08:27 AM
And make sure the wheel is straight, stringline it if you have to. an off-centre wheel will give you the same effect.

BOHEMION
14-06-2006, 09:19 AM
Cheers fellas - The noise seems to be ALOT better now, readjusted the centre of the wheel and made sure there was good play in the chain without it fly all over the place, Ah the chain and front and rear sproks aare all the same age about 8000K's old

clairebear
14-06-2006, 09:44 AM
how sad will you all think this is? woosy non mono type that i am.
i've had a scottoiler for years, and had it put on the zed when i got it new, and still have the same chain & sprockets looking good after 23000k's.
i lurve scottoilers

BOHEMION
14-06-2006, 11:12 AM
yep looked on the net - would be a good choice with the many k's i do

clairebear
14-06-2006, 11:30 AM
i definately recommend.
fitting is apparently a bit of a bugger, but cable ties fix all things.

Gix11
14-06-2006, 02:15 PM
There's definitely no tight spots after your wheelie action a while back? I had this once from adjusting in a rush and missed a fuck off tight spot like a tool I was, went out riding and I had pulled the whole front sprocket back and fucked the bearings and shaft.

BOHEMION
14-06-2006, 06:40 PM
hhm Gix I think u might be onto somthing, Its not buzzing as much now though,

how ever how much heat is supposed to be generated from the front sprocket? The Sprockt cover is pretty hot and I can smell the exess chain lube dunno if its burning it or what ever.

When i had it too tight I didnt fang it around as i knew it was abit too tight - Its at a good tension now but that buzzin still comes back at around 5000rpm

14-06-2006, 06:45 PM
Have you done a stringline on the rear mate? Not uncommon for line up marks on the swingarm to be out.

BOHEMION
14-06-2006, 06:54 PM
Yeah there fine if maybe 1mm out- not even

cammy9r
14-06-2006, 06:57 PM
Tight spot is normal on the chain Boh.

http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/958248001103895.JPG

BOHEMION
14-06-2006, 06:58 PM
Cheers mate ! But now seems to be ALOT of heat comming from the front Sprock!!! I HATE CHAINS! always have even on my KX's

willow
14-06-2006, 07:23 PM
Is your chain too worn? What sort of chain is it? If your chain is too tight or too slack you should be able to feel it in the gear changes and it will cause alot of heat in the sprockets. It's okay for the front sprocket to get hot, there's alot of drive friction there. As far as the buzzing goes i would be asking a mech to check it out.

BOHEMION
14-06-2006, 07:40 PM
I have a feelig I a have bugerred the bearings in the Shaft there. Oh well i'll keep an ear on the highway on it. Cheers for input fellas!

clairebear
15-06-2006, 08:54 AM
get yourself a nice shafty Boh! :-)

15-06-2006, 11:35 AM
quote:Originally posted by clairebear

get yourself a nice shafty Boh! :-)

With the letters BMW (Does that stand for Bloody Motorcycling Wankers)
on the tank :D

BOHEMION
15-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Ew