PDA

View Full Version : Custom subframe construction

LKC73
07-12-2010, 10:32 PM
OK lads, Im looking at building a custom sub frame, and would like some advise seeing as this will be my first fighter build. Ive got the required tail unit now, and just working out my options on the subframe to support this tail and some odds and ends to tuck up inside it.

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1291787800.jpg

Option #1, make a completed subframe out of steel square tube, and finish it off in silver paint to match frame. This option I can make myself.

Option #2 Use part of stock subframe top tubes and cut everything away and pay someone to tig weld the custom bottom tubes back in place where I want. This will allow the stock mounting points to be used.

Option #3, complete alloy custom subframe made by someone that can tig weld. I would think this would be most expensive option, but will look awesome if done well.

What have you guys done, in the past?
Im looking at sticking things like starter relay, CDI box and fuse box up in the tail area to hide part of the wireing. Any suggestions and help would be great.[?]

(Edit, I see I cant count late at night thinking about these things)

fimpBIKES
07-12-2010, 10:50 PM
i would say to do it up in steel yourself first
then once you are happy with it all (except the weight of it obviously...) you can take it to any decent shop and get them to make an aluminium version

also, in my initial attempts at this sort of thing i was convinced the best way to do it was to kick up the subframe at the back to make sure the rider's bum pushed back into the frame under acceleration. this isnt really necessary, the fibreglass can handle that. so really all you need is a flat surface and 4 bolts coming down in the seat area

see here, i have two bolts on the rear uprights and i had a large velcro patch at the front of the seat
http://www.streetfighters.com.au/forum/upload/282862694117556.jpg

when really four bolts coming down vertically makes the whole set-up much simpler

fimpBIKES
07-12-2010, 10:52 PM
also, dont make it so you cant get to the battery (as per my above design)
i changed it a fair bit after that so you could drop the battery in from above, its suprising how many times you need to boost up the battery or swap it out on bikes from my experiences

LKC73
08-12-2010, 07:23 AM
Cheers Fimp on the fast reply. Being the GSXR, Im going to install the battery in place of the airbox and run pod filters, so getting to the battery will be as easy as lifting the tank.

kev@vcm
08-12-2010, 07:30 AM
am watching your build thread closs mate as i have a GSXR frame to start my build later ,

so far it sounds like its going to be a trick bike

Redmohawk
08-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Don't fall into the trap of not giving you tail enough support at the rear though, Vibration has killed my tail due to only using 4 (rear most 2 and front 2 of the 8 factory mounting positions of my plastic with 2 extras added as I thought 4 was a little lite on. Tail lasted 25,000 Km before it started to crack badly. Fiberglass unit will put up with more abuse but for how long?