PDA

View Full Version : help with diy plastic welding

pommie02
04-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Ive got a few ideas about a new tailend for my ongoing project.
but i dont want to pay a fortune to get someone to do the welding for me.
want sort of heat gun do i need or are any glues that will do the same job

BANDITROD
04-12-2010, 08:14 PM
not the neatest but i use my soldering iron and a peice of the same plastic as a filler and i have never had any probs yet

Redmohawk
05-12-2010, 09:45 AM
heat gun for bigger pieces to warm it then use a soldering iron with an output over 80 watt with a chisel tip use plastic from the same thing as filler, most plastics will only stick to there own kind. Basicly like metal welding heat two parts to be joined then add filler while heating all 3 bits , make sure not to over heat it as you go if its smoking its to hot. temp controlled soldering iron is the go if you can get one. Or you can rig up you own cheapo version with a light dimmer on a cheap soldering iron (aim for a temp between 140 deg c and 180 deg ) if you use a heat gun to heat the area a little around it first makes the whole proccess a little easyer.

hyofighter
05-12-2010, 08:21 PM
hey pommie i used this stuff at work made for plastic made by wurth is a 2 part glue stuff and i very sceptical about its strength but i was impressed with it , its a workable putty like stuff sets rock hard and easy to file back , i repaired a chainsaw handle with it after a tree landed on it and its still holding together now
http://www.wurth.co.uk/catalogue/pdfs/UK-CD_05_0685.pdf
expensive shit id say being wurth

loosebruce
05-12-2010, 10:48 PM
I bought some stuff from Repco(Bondex?), filler powder and cynoacrylate adhesive. Amazing shit, very strong and you can build it up.
Tried Plastex, that's pretty good too.

revken
06-12-2010, 06:46 PM
q-bond from Repco, the filler and adhesive, used it to attach brackets to a gsxr headlight to convert it to a fighter headlight unit. awesome stuff. under $30 at repco, but I've seen it for 59 at Sprint Auto parts, which is bullshit.

Mishdog20
06-12-2010, 07:24 PM
quote:Originally posted by revken

q-bond from Repco, the filler and adhesive, used it to attach brackets to a gsxr headlight to convert it to a fighter headlight unit. awesome stuff. under $30 at repco, but I've seen it for 59 at Sprint Auto parts, which is bullshit.

You're right about that Q-Bond stuff mate, thats top shit. You always know a product is awesome by the smell it gives off, and that stuff nearly sets ya on your ass with its fumes:D