PDA

View Full Version : Switchblock Re-wiring?

skoerbin
30-11-2010, 04:43 PM
Has anyone tried to rewire a switchblock (right side to be specific)? Too much effort to track one down that is the same so was thinking about the prospect of rewiring a similar one to use the right plugs (eg cut the plug off my current switchblock and solder the wires on the new one?

if you have tried this what major issues did you face? what was the easiest way to work out which were the correct wires? would you suggest to make it a bit easier to stick with one from a similar age or brand bike?

Any advice would be great, or a link to the same topic if it has already been discussed

Mishdog20
30-11-2010, 05:13 PM
Just use a testlight mate, a bit of patience and a shit load of beers. What are you trying to put the switchblock on? Modern Bike?

oldskool
30-11-2010, 05:37 PM
Too easy!

RevHead
30-11-2010, 05:40 PM
i agree with all to easy,if you need one i got a couple,

skoerbin
30-11-2010, 06:05 PM
putting on a 95 CB400 but because its an import it has hazard lights on the same side and could only track down ones without

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1291117158.jpg

thats what it looks like, was gonna go with something similar, just coz it looks good on the bars and matches the other side.
Pete, if you have got one thats similar it would save me a trip to the wrecker? Cheers, any excuse to have some beers haha

skoerbin
30-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Mishdog, Ive never used a test light before, how would i use it? even though ive never used it it sounds a bit easier than following opening the switch boxes open and following the wires and hoping i guess the right ones!

Redmohawk
30-11-2010, 06:26 PM
If its not wired into a bike you want a multi meter (easyer than a test light off the bike) two leads on multimeter just put meter on conductivity and put one lead on a wire then test other wires, move switch test again write down what goes to where and your done. Draw it on a piece of paper write down colours of wires etc . A cheap meter from dick smith etc will cost you $10 and most of the cheap ones now come with a buzzer built in that sounds when conduction is found.

If its on a bike , use the test light ! Quicker, Earth lead goes to frame test point (looks like a screwdriver with aa light in it) to wire your testing. Light will be on when a wire is + if you want to test for an earth put earth lead of test light on to positive of battery and same deal.

Redmohawk
30-11-2010, 06:29 PM
You can use a test light off the bike, just need a battery conected to the test light then other side of battery is used like multi meter

80s freak
30-11-2010, 06:46 PM
If you replace it while another Honda one of the same shape, the color of the wires will probably be the same, if your lucky it will use the same plugs.

RevHead
30-11-2010, 07:05 PM
i got a couple of honda 1s in me shed i put up a pic tomoz4 ya

robmac
30-11-2010, 07:32 PM
quote:Originally posted by 80s freak

If you replace it while another Honda one of the same shape, the color of the wires will probably be the same, if your lucky it will use the same plugs.
Almost. I replaced the Blade's LHS switch block with one off a CBR600RR and whilst the wires were all the same colour they were all connected differently :( took a little bit of head scratching to realise that!!

skoerbin
30-11-2010, 07:42 PM
sounds good pete, thanks, i got time on my hands, no work or riding till this bloody collarbone sorts itself out. haha it will give me something to do!

RevHead
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
sorry bloke all i foundwas one from an 84 vf750,sorry bout that

skoerbin
01-12-2010, 04:50 PM
That's all good. Cheers for trying tho