PDA

View Full Version : towing nightmares

Jockney Rebel
25-11-2010, 04:24 AM
last week i witnessed yet another example of the lack lustre and downright unproffesional handling of motorcycles after a minor accident
i wont name the company involved .but said company recoverd a lightly damaged suzuki gsxr1000
when unstrapping it from the tilt tray allowed it to slam into the truck bed punching a hole in the right hand casing and fairng thus disabling a bike for weeks that wouldve been easily repaired and back on the road in 1 or 2 days
3 things of note here
1.the bike was strapped down with 2inch wide car straps far too strong for the job and capable of bending and /or breaking some cast components not to mention the bikes fork seals

2.had the operator had proper front wheel chocks the incident would not have happened

3.i had approched the very same company not 2 months previously to ask if there was any chance of subbing their bike work and was told catagorically thet they had the correct equipment for handling motorcycles

id like to hear from any and all of you who have experienced this type of mishandling
you can contact me on 0420436039 or at sosmotorcyclerecovery@live.com

Chase
25-11-2010, 07:06 AM
My next door neighbour found a little oil slick in the rain a couple months ago, caught the bike on the way down but broke clutch lever and few marks on the left fairing - no biggy. The bike being only 3 months old rode it home rang insurance who organised a (car) towing mob to collect.

The repairs were done no prob and the same towing mob brought the bike back deciding it's best to run straps across the top of the pillion cowl - fkn it... back to shop again.

Snaffler
25-11-2010, 07:34 PM
reminds me when a towie went past me once with the bike laying on its side with the winch line over the top of it.. only thoughts were
"oh god i hope its going to auction"

Redmohawk
25-11-2010, 07:53 PM
I remember not long ago this mad bastard with a funny accent turning up (and his eyes popping outa his head after dark) at a servo just off a freeway, old van moaning but doing its job with a great big tandam lurking behind, loads with old bits of junk that lookel like they were once motorbikes. Tanks falling off as he belted down the freeway so I hear lol

What was that favor you wanted back in cooma anyhow ? lol

livewire
25-11-2010, 08:42 PM
That's a very brave question, RMH

Watto
25-11-2010, 08:43 PM
had a case when my gixxa 750 was a newy back in 89 - come a cropper and whilst laying there waiting for the ambos, towy puts a cable thru the back wheel and pulls it out from under the rail - gave him a yell to stop and he said insurance will cover it mate you do have it eh and he kept goin - due to the circumstances of me coming a cropper I wasnt covered and after finally going over the bike back at home found a cracked headstem and some other damage that basically wrote the bike off and wasnt part of the initial off - was pretty gutted as had expected to get her back on the road :(

RevHead
25-11-2010, 09:24 PM
ispent 6 yrs driving tow trucks in the early 90s in canberra not once did i kill a bike,bike was walked on back of slide tray the tied down with ratchet straps

fimpBIKES
26-11-2010, 11:42 AM
anne saw one of these sorts of towies the other day

skull-draggin' a bike on its side up the tilt tray [XX(]

Jockney Rebel
28-11-2010, 02:54 AM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

I remember not long ago this mad bastard with a funny accent turning up (and his eyes popping outa his head after dark) at a servo just off a freeway, old van moaning but doing its job with a great big tandam lurking behind, loads with old bits of junk that lookel like they were once motorbikes. Tanks falling off as he belted down the freeway so I hear lol

What was that favor you wanted back in cooma anyhow ? lol
GIT lol:D

Jockney Rebel
28-11-2010, 02:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by revheadpete

ispent 6 yrs driving tow trucks in the early 90s in canberra not once did i kill a bike,bike was walked on back of slide tray the tied down with ratchet straps
im not saying all Towies are like it ..it just irks me to know i offered to do the work and the firm wouldve still earned a tidy profit[75 bucks a job] id have been happy at 100 bucks 20km radius and less than 3months earlier their boss swore he had "all the correct equipment and training"

JackTar
29-11-2010, 06:09 PM
I once saw a tow truck driver with all of his teeth, well as far as I could tell anyway. I've seen some impressive shit in my time but that was right up there.

Large
29-11-2010, 06:12 PM
quote:Originally posted by JackTar

I once saw a navy officer who didn't love the cock, well as far as I could tell anyway. I've seen some impressive shit in my time but that was right up there.

fixed[^]

chopiesel
29-11-2010, 07:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Large

quote:Originally posted by JackTar

I once saw a navy officers cock, I've seen some impressive shit in my time and that was not up there.

fixed[^]

re fixed