PDA

View Full Version : Gee, thanks a bunch labour nsw government.....

fimpBIKES
24-11-2010, 11:16 AM
in the news today

__________________________________________________ _______

NSW to overhaul driver demerit system19:42 AEST Mon Nov 22 2010
By Adam Bennett
The NSW driver demerit system will be overhauled under a state government plan.

NSW's demerit system will be overhauled to give motorists more points, while for some offences points will be reduced or scrapped altogether in a rare piece of good news for the state's drivers.

NSW Premier Kristina Keneally on Monday said cabinet had agreed to the sweeping demerit point reforms, as well as changes to how the controversial mobile speed cameras are marked.

Under the government proposal, unrestricted drivers would get an additional point, from 12 to 13.

Professional drivers, such as couriers and taxi drivers, would get two additional points, from 12 to 14.

Demerit points for 22 offences would also be reduced or deleted, Ms Keneally said.

"(These changes) recognise that most drivers in NSW do the right thing and they deserve a break, they deserve a fair go," she said.

"This scheme deserves to be continually reviewed in light of the community expectations and in light of our changing application of road safety and road enforcement.

"What that does is recognise that there are a range of offences which attract demerit points.

"It is about recognising that we are moving to a system where people could too easily lose their licence for what were not the most serious of offences."

Ms Keneally said the unpopular mobile speed cameras would also be more clearly marked, including warning signs placed at least 50 metres before the camera vehicles.

The cars will also be clearly signposted and marked in bright colours, she said.

"Mobile speed cameras are on the road to make people slow down - we've said that from the start," she said.

"However, the reality is the majority of drivers do the right thing.

"We've heard community concerns about mobile speed cameras loud and clear and we are responding."

The mobile speed cameras, run by private operate Redflex, were introduced in August.

The initial rollout included only six cars, but under an expansion of the scheme 40 more will be added to the state's roads next year.

The government has faced accusations the cameras - which were unmarked under an earlier trial - were more about revenue raising than road safety, a claim Ms Keneally admitted had "frustrated" her.

The changes will be introduced into parliament this week, she said.

NRMA Motoring and Services president Wendy Machin said the reforms were a "big win" for motorists.

"We wanted to see the demerit system made fairer, without sacrificing safety," she said in a statement, adding plans to introduce warning signs 50 metres in front of mobile speed cameras would significantly reduce community angst.

"These warning signs will go a long way to building community confidence that these cameras are not about revenue raising but keeping our roads safe."

However, opposition roads spokesman Andrew Stoner accused the government of a pre-election stunt.

"This is last-minute policy on the run, by a government that is admitting failure in terms of its mobile speed camera rollout," he said.

__________________________________________________ ______________

Well that’s just dandy

So they realised if they take everyones license they loose their revenue

But they have forgotten the whole idea of having points instead of just dollar fines is to make sure rich pricks cant just do whatever they feel like

And a sign 50m from the camera….

Do people not realise the range of the guns? You will still get stung before you see the sign

It amazes me how dumb people are, labour probably will get elected again now

Its like they punch us in the face for a few years, then give us a poison toffee apple and everything is forgiven!
:(:(:(:(:(

BossMan
24-11-2010, 02:25 PM
well on the up side you get an extra point which if your license is like min will be very handy

xa-mont
24-11-2010, 02:27 PM
mobile speed camera's are generally pointed from the front of a car facing the same way as the traffic, so 50m will be plenty of time to slow down.

and if it is pointed from the back of a car, then it wont get you on your bike anyway :D

StuNVA
24-11-2010, 02:29 PM
Let them pass the bills, be fucked if I'll be bought off though, they can go to hell, no way I'll vote for the morons.

50mtrs...........just enough time to say "fuck it".........A bloody flashing beacon on roof would be more approapriate. If it's all about reducing the speed isn't the more visible they make these things the better. They should just abolish points for speed cameras unless your doing 30+

fimpBIKES
24-11-2010, 04:21 PM
quote:Originally posted by xa-mont

mobile speed camera's are generally pointed from the front of a car facing the same way as the traffic, so 50m will be plenty of time to slow down.

and if it is pointed from the back of a car, then it wont get you on your bike anyway :D

the sign is 50m before the van, but im pretty sure the radar can ping you at over 100m like the hand-held ones cant it

either way, with this and the ctp thing im voting for the fishing party or something LOL

Shadowzone
24-11-2010, 04:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

the sign is 50m before the van, but im pretty sure the radar can ping you at over 100m like the hand-held ones cant it

either way, with this and the ctp thing im voting for the fishing party or something LOL

If they're like the ones Qld uses they have a narrow beam which is shot across the road at 45degrees. Makes it fucken hard for the good old beltronics to pick em up too.

Swordsy
24-11-2010, 05:08 PM
you spelt labor wrong...

timbo
24-11-2010, 05:09 PM
I didn't realise that this was a spelling comp!!

Swordsy
24-11-2010, 05:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by timbo

I didn't realise that this was a spelling comp!!

It's not, I'm just slowly trying to crush his spirit [:p]

timbo
24-11-2010, 05:16 PM
Carry on then

wackyrider
24-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Count yourself lucky that u don't live in Vic mate.

Signs?? Why bother......
Just put a few more unmarked mobile camera's around.....

JackTar
24-11-2010, 06:00 PM
quote:Originally posted by wackyrider

Count yourself lucky that u don't live in Vic mate.

I do but that has nothing to do with speed cameras.

JackTar
24-11-2010, 06:02 PM
quote:Originally posted by fimpBIKES

You better check to see who their preferences lie with before you do that because you could well be voting for labor by voting for them. God bless our convolutedonlyoneoftwopartieswilleverwin system.

03gixxerpilot
24-11-2010, 06:04 PM
In norway (one of those fucken cold european countrys) they fine you a percentage of your annual income, the more you earn the more you pay, so someone on a million dollar salary could be paying tens of thousands of dollar fine.

Sounds fair to me.

RevHead
24-11-2010, 06:22 PM
speed cameras can get you from behind,car n bike ,but front on bike riders are fine,i read in the constitution, that it illegal to take frontal images,something to do with privacy,,u know wot if gillard is giving kev rudd a head job,etc

JackTar
24-11-2010, 06:28 PM
quote:Originally posted by revheadpete

i read in the constitution, that it illegal to take frontal images,something to do with privacy,,u know wot if gillard is giving kev rudd a head job,etc

You read that in the constitution? Well it aint in the one I saw, you know the one that was written in 1900. Or is there a new one now?

Swordsy
24-11-2010, 07:03 PM

speed cameras can get you from behind,car n bike ,but front on bike riders are fine,i read in the constitution, that it illegal to take frontal images,something to do with privacy,,u know wot if gillard is giving kev rudd a head job,etc

Some guy sued the government one time cos he got the speeding fine picture with his girlfriend in the passenger seat, his wafe wasn't impressed. So they just made it now that if you request the picture, they blur out passengers. Its easier than turning all their speed cameras around...

xa-mont
24-11-2010, 08:18 PM

i read in the constitution

Have you been speaking to uncle pervy?

LKC73
24-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Those mobile units take the picture front and rear of said speeding victom. Lights are scattered all way around. They almost look like a google image van the way there set up. Oh and range can be from as far away as 600m, with the right opperating procdures used.

Azrael
24-11-2010, 08:55 PM

Are you welsh? just asking..

Redmohawk
24-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I think you will find it is legal for the plod or private mobs to book you in eather direction , but generally they have less issues with booking you from behind in court in Vic. Most speed newer cameras can detect an average car from over 1km away in the right conditions and I have personally seen (in the car watching it be set up ) a car detected from out of my eyesite, as a test out on a country road (would have had to be at least 2 km away!) But the cameras have a limit in town of much less due to reflections of detection beam, setup rules, and other trafic.

Speed cameras were and always will be a revenue cash cow, proven many times over they are setup in places where they will make the most money, not have the most effect. IE one is regularly setup on a large road (50km/h)joining two larger main roads both posted at 60 km/h there is one sign at eather end stating its a 50 zone with several ajoining roads in the middle where the camera is setup and no posted sign. The operator parked the car next door to my old place for storage and told me it makes more money there than anywhere else in shep , strangley its the place they put it the most . No schools close by no childrens crossings etc etc just lots of people going from one 60 zone to another thinking there in a 60 zone till they get a fine !

Mate of mine has been pulled over a few times by the cops while on his bike, then one of the coppers tells him there out to book him as he has been done about 5 or 6 times by the same camera, but always front on. They have his photo looked for him (smaller country town of 20,000 didnt take long) and now there gunning for him . Granted his fault but not having a front plate dont make you safe from the camera if a copper decides you have had enough fun without paying a little.

Jockney Rebel
25-11-2010, 03:37 AM
quote from the inventor of the Gatso camera " the instant one of my cameras takes a picture it has failed in its objective"

RevHead
25-11-2010, 06:44 AM
in sweden in 1 night the public pulled all speed cameras outta the ground,then the government of that country ,relised that the PEOPLE didnt want them so they never reinstalled them,wish we could get that happining here ,fu#kin government slimmers

rod185651
25-11-2010, 05:14 PM
Apologies for repost, but still good to watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z71n_kD-LUE

Redmohawk
25-11-2010, 05:55 PM
Nothing like a little det cord . The faint sweet smell of mono hmmmm.

sharky
25-11-2010, 06:30 PM
quote:Demerit points for 22 offences would also be reduced or deleted,
What about this bit...
I reckon bumping up some offences is spot on...
Running a blatant red light should be 6 points.
Caught talking on mobile 6 points...
Speeding over 40K in school zone 6 points...

[}:)]:([}:)]

bluemk1
26-11-2010, 02:29 AM
quote:Originally posted by rod185651

Apologies for repost, but still good to watch

im up for some of that action if only i knew how.

anyone willing to part with some knowledge? :D

RevHead
26-11-2010, 06:41 AM
when i was living in canerra from 85 till 94 the a.c.t ,never had a points a system,you got fined you payed,then i came back to n.s.w,and you can lose your licence for anything, over 128ks licence gone ,2 people not wearing seat belts licence gone,its so fucked up,@ what point does it stop being a priveliege and a right to drive,magistrates are only people whom make decisions for us based on how THEY feel,on the day,i know a red P plater 165ks in an 80 zone in the middle of nambucca heads $660,6 months off the road,then me 145ks in a 100k zone in the middle of no were,$1100 ,12 months off ,same magistrate,????? the system that governs us must be made uniform,not because the magistrate is having a bad day,or is tired or pissed off,its unfair bullshit,delt by people with no idea,////igot my licence back on october the 1st 2010

Tony OW31
26-11-2010, 07:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by sharky

What about this bit...

Never understood the drama over this, it is far worse talking to someone who is in the car than talking on a mobile, watch people, when they are talking to someone next to them they will be doing all the hand movements, turning and looking at them etc, way less concentration on the road than when they are on the phone.

Shadowzone
26-11-2010, 08:08 AM

when i was living in canerra from 85 till 94 the a.c.t ,never had a points a system,you got fined you payed,then i came back to n.s.w,and you can lose your licence for anything, over 128ks licence gone ,2 people not wearing seat belts licence gone,its so fucked up,@ what point does it stop being a priveliege and a right to drive,magistrates are only people whom make decisions for us based on how THEY feel,on the day,i know a red P plater 165ks in an 80 zone in the middle of nambucca heads $660,6 months off the road,then me 145ks in a 100k zone in the middle of no were,$1100 ,12 months off ,same magistrate,????? the system that governs us must be made uniform,not because the magistrate is having a bad day,or is tired or pissed off,its unfair bullshit,delt by people with no idea,////igot my licence back on october the 1st 2010

Pete, that's because you're older and should know better. We also expect young P platers to drive lick pricks. The warning is right there in the big P on the plate.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong, but, that's life. You probably also have previous history for traffic offences to do with speeding. Which would be taken into account.

Shadowzone
26-11-2010, 08:11 AM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

quote:Originally posted by sharky

What about this bit...

Never understood the drama over this, it is far worse talking to someone who is in the car than talking on a mobile, watch people, when they are talking to someone next to them they will be doing all the hand movements, turning and looking at them etc, way less concentration on the road than when they are on the phone.

Tony, the issue is the brains ability to multi task. Driving is the most complex thing humans do on a day to day basis,and when you add in the distraction of talking on a mobile phone (including a hands free kit) you have a recipe for disaster. The brain is not generally capable of safely making the decisions required of it whilst driving and talking on a phone (and I'd agree about talking to passengers as well.) The real problem is the complacency people have towards driving because, they do it so frequently.

Tony OW31
26-11-2010, 08:57 AM
quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

The real problem is the complacency people have towards driving because, they do it so frequently.

Agree completely on that one, I've always thought that to obtain a car licence you should have to first have a motorcycle licence. Riding a motorcycle teaches awareness like nothing else.

Tony OW31
26-11-2010, 09:00 AM
This may sound racist, but what the fuck is wrong with asian drivers regarding awareness? seems every one of them thinks nothing exists other than what is 2mtrs in front of their bumper?

rod185651
26-11-2010, 11:02 AM
It used to be volvo drivers, then Hyandi drivers and now it seems the above mentioned by Tony driving BMWs are out to kill me.

fimpBIKES
26-11-2010, 11:39 AM
quote:Originally posted by Shadowzone

Tony, the issue is the brains ability to multi task. Driving is the most complex thing humans do on a day to day basis,

im so jealous of these people LOL

StuNVA
26-11-2010, 04:09 PM
It's not the talking part that is dangerous, it's trying to find the number or dial it, voice dial should be an integral part of any phone. When you enter a new number you should have to voice tag it then and voice dial it from then on.

Don't get me started on these twats that text and drive, thats just stupid.

Cruisecontrol
26-11-2010, 05:15 PM
quote:Originally posted by Tony OW31

This may sound racist, but what the fuck is wrong with asian drivers regarding awareness? seems every one of them thinks nothing exists other than what is 2mtrs in front of their bumper?

Perhaps certain facial features restrict peripheral vision?

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1290808560.jpg

Shadowzone
26-11-2010, 05:31 PM
quote:Originally posted by StuNVA

It's not the talking part that is dangerous, it's trying to find the number or dial it, voice dial should be an integral part of any phone. When you enter a new number you should have to voice tag it then and voice dial it from then on.

Don't get me started on these twats that text and drive, thats just stupid.

Seems that isn't the case as per the following research:

http://www.unews.utah.edu/p/?r=062206-1

And my personal favourite which shows that you lose awareness of your surroundings whilst driving and talking is this one:

http://bps-research-digest.blogspot.com/2010/07/talking-on-mobile-phone-youre-less.html

The bottom line is talking on a mobile phone while driving is dangerous for you, your passengers and the bloke on a motorbike riding to work near you. Whether or not you have it on hands free. The evidence is clearly there, and it doesn't matter how experienced you are driving.

RevHead
26-11-2010, 07:00 PM
shadow your right i was a speed demon from the 80s,lol

336LJ
27-11-2010, 01:19 AM
that video... ahhhh.... "hows the serenity"

I have a 100+ page book about speed cameras, speed detection devices, and how none of them comply with australian measurment standards (designed and built overseas) and a whole bunch of other shit I can't be fucked reading but its all there.
I also figured its much cheaper to educate your typical average "LOVE THE SYSTEM" traffic cop AFTER they write you a ticket.