PDA

View Full Version : How far can you go ?

Redmohawk
21-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Ok so how far can I go on frame mods before I will need an engineering ticket ? And If I go that far does that also put me into indevidual constructed status and require a EPA test ? IE drop RF600 motor into a 400 grey import frame, do you think that will fly past Vic rego assholes ? And if not will the $500 engineers report be enough to keep the fucktards off my back ? Or will I also be looking at a $2000 epa test as well? Any takers on this question ?

I have used a Vic engineer for cars before and know the deal with cars pritty good, but how far can I push it with a bike before the spincter police will try to red tape me out of exsistance?

Fight_fan
22-11-2010, 06:35 AM
if its anything like NSW an increase of over 17% (from memory) will require an engineers cert. That was the trouble i had when registering the 7/11 as u need to prove that u have also upgraded the stopping power which technically would require some sort of ADR compliant brake test, which i was told was over $500 PLUS a noise test which would be the same again. All on top of the $550 for the engineers certificate. Luckily the enginner i came across was a bike rider n was sweet with eveything. He jst ticked all the boxes n sent me on my way...

Iceman
22-11-2010, 09:26 AM
I thought they changed the laws in Vic so that you could no longer repair or modify the frame of a motorcycle.

I could be wrong though.

xa-mont
22-11-2010, 09:38 AM
I'm thought they changed it so you can't touch alloy frames?

fimpBIKES
22-11-2010, 11:19 AM
in a chassis i believe you need to have at least one of the original crossmembers intact
otherwise you will need to do individually constructed vehicle

unfortunately on twin-spar bike frames that means if you have to mess with the crossmember under the seat then its going to be a problem
you can however brace the frame under an engineers cert
so if you hack it up, try to present it as the original member but with some extra bracing ;)

livewire
22-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Wouldn't a grey import fuck you from the word go?
Or does the engineer report fix that? (which is what I thought you're trying to get around)
I heard of a bloke who got Historical rego on his 'slightly' modified Katana. : )
No engineers report, or even roadworthy, and $110 per year.
Gotta be 25 years old, and a member of a 'red plate' club, but.

Redmohawk
22-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Had a quick chat with engineer today (doesnt do bikes , did my last convertable celica) so didnt know specifics but had a good ruff enough idea and a phone number for me to ring tomorrow. He said around $250 for report if I take lots of photos and set up a plan of attack with his mate first then just call him when done, will look over bike and photos prob just write out report right there n then.

Ruff deal for Vic is 25% capacity increase or power increase which ever is the higher is what its taken on, so If capacity was even smaller but power output was over 25% increased would need engineers report. Brakes can be assesed to ensure braking is sufficient but using brakes from a larger bike with simmilar power output is generally accepted , larger bike with more power output if forced asperation is used is also generally accepted. Is at discression of engineer (using his guessmagattergraph I bet)

Main frame rails unchanged, can pass if only stiffening bars are added, engine mounts as long as using very simmilar to factory mounts are acceptable but once they are significantly different or in significantly different places on main frame engineer is needed.

As long as asperation of bike (carbs exhaust) are not significantly changed and weight of bike motor is put into is simmilar or less then donor bike then a EPA test isn't usally nessasarry. (assuming age of bikes are similar and EPA standards are similar, no 60's or 70's motors in modern frames but the other way around is fine)

Grey Import is all the same deal basically, as long as it has been reg in Vic before is just like another bike.

What it's made of matters a little Alloy, steel, is ok (as long as its roll formed !) .Cast Alloy or forged is no repair once its scratched deeper than a set amount (no idea what depth not his area but shallow scratches (1 mm) can defect a modern cast alloy bike.

General gist is limited to similar make model year, braking must be increased by the same amount as power preferablly better, handeling should be similar or better. So a late 80's early 90's 600 motor into a similar framed 400 isnt a problem as long as you can fit it in without cutting main frame rails and engine mounts are in similar positions/shape. Braking is easy to increase with a front end swap and a given anyway.

Jockney Rebel
22-11-2010, 07:25 PM
quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

if its anything like NSW an increase of over 17% (from memory) will require an engineers cert. That was the trouble i had when registering the 7/11 as u need to prove that u have also upgraded the stopping power which technically would require some sort of ADR compliant brake test, which i was told was over $500 PLUS a noise test which would be the same again. All on top of the $550 for the engineers certificate. Luckily the enginner i came across was a bike rider n was sweet with eveything. He jst ticked all the boxes n sent me on my way...

....eww you came across an engineer ......

RevHead
22-11-2010, 07:29 PM
i got an engineer up here $770 everything passed

Redmohawk
22-11-2010, 07:33 PM
$250 sounds alot better pete .

Fight_fan
23-11-2010, 06:37 AM
quote:Originally posted by Jockney Rebel

quote:Originally posted by Fight_fan

....eww you came across an engineer ......

Everyones a fuckin comedian! lol ;)