PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket cdi for slabby

Gixxer_rat85
20-11-2010, 02:04 PM
Hey all, my 750 slabby has shat out the original CDI module, and after nearly pissing myself at the local dealership when they quoted $1200 for a new one, i started researching aftermarket. I can get a Dynatek system for $400 with coils or $300 minus coils off egay...are these any good? Or does anyone know of a better system?
Cheers

Booster
20-11-2010, 04:53 PM
What about these guys http://www.ignitech.cz/english/aindex.htm

oldskool
20-11-2010, 05:28 PM
the kiwi's make an ok one try egay.

oldskool
20-11-2010, 05:45 PM
here ya go.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUKI-GS-GSX-GSXR-400-550-750-1100-IGNITION-IGNITIONS-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb15cb8beQQitemZ20054 4139454QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Gixxer_rat85
21-11-2010, 11:47 AM
Thanks oldskool, looks like i might give one a go. I`ll let you know all how it performs.

Gixxer_rat85
10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
I went for a Dynatek DDK3-3 system with a matching coil kit. Drained the beer fund, but was well worth it. Won`t go too far into it coz I don`t wanna make this sound like an ad, but was pretty simple to fit and set up. Made a noticeable difference to power and the selectable timing curves are handy for wet days (100+ hp through a 140 wide tyre in peak hour on greasy roads can be tricky, LOL). Very happy, if anyone is thinking of doing it I say DO IT!

Let me know if you need any more info and I`ll be glad to help

latheboy
10-01-2011, 06:26 PM
Have you dyno run it?
Id be very interested in seeing the graphs

oldskool
10-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Graphs? are you a wigga train painter Ivan?

latheboy
11-01-2011, 06:43 AM
Yes Dylan... yes I am.....

I wanna see what the differance is between the settings

Gixxer_rat85
11-01-2011, 05:15 PM
I plan to run it on the dyno sometime this year. I don`t have anything to compare it to since I didn`t run it with stock ignition/pipe/carbs. By the time it hits the dyno it`ll have a shortened and gutted CBR900 can, 33mm mikuni cv`s, and maybe some stage 2 Tighe cams....will let you know how I go

80s freak
11-01-2011, 07:06 PM
I, like Latheboy would like to see the difference between the settings, compairing it with a stock one is less important.

Dynomutt
12-01-2011, 12:32 AM
The different advance curves are there for different states of tune, it's not something you need to switch between, once you have selected the one which works best with your particular set up that's it, ignition set leave it alone.
I use the Dynatek Dyna2000 with grey 2.2 ohm coils and Dyna or Taylor plug leads, on most of the GSXR engines I build, they are a very good system the latest are programmable via a PC, to add whatever ignition curve you want.
You have a choice of the preprogrammed ignition curves which are fine for a mildly modified stock engine. You also have a built in ignition retard function should you run a nitrous system or turbo. It comes with it's own wiring loom with easy to follow instructions. As a replacement system for a road bike they are excellent, Dynatek have been making ignition systems for a very long time and have a good reputation, they're used by many of the drag bikes out there because they are reliable and consistant,which is why I tend to use Dynatek products on most of the bikes I build.

latheboy
12-01-2011, 07:58 AM
Does the Dynatek interface with your Dyno like the Powercommander does Dynomutt?

TurboKat
12-01-2011, 04:21 PM
Make sure you mount the Dyna box so that it's well isolated from vibration, I know 2 blokes racing P5 bikes who have had their Dyna units fail from vibration from being solidly mounted.
No warranty & not repairable was the story they got from Dynatek, both blokes rubber mounted the new units & have had no dramas since but it was an expensive lesson.
They said they'd since heard of heaps of people whos Dynas had shit themselves & so they were looking at alternatives.
I'm still trying to get hold of 1 of their old units because I'm sure they can be fixed by someone who's electronics savvy, I suspect Dyna just wanted to sell them new ones.

Redmohawk
12-01-2011, 06:16 PM
If they're not "potted" in resin fixing them will prob be an easy job, if potted still can be done but takes ages to pick out the resin. Factory Kwaka units are fixed by a mob in Gelong (mob called ReCoil I think) they do potted ones but they fucked a few in the process of getting the technique down pat and subsaquently charge about $250 to do it.

Gixxer_rat85
12-01-2011, 06:40 PM
I mounted mine under the rider`s seat, on the plastic wheel guard. Seems ok so far, (about 1000ks give or take). Its out of the elements and hopefully vibration free.

latheboy
12-01-2011, 06:42 PM
quote:Originally posted by TurboKat

Make sure you mount the Dyna box so that it's well isolated from vibration, I know 2 blokes racing P5 bikes who have had their Dyna units fail from vibration from being solidly mounted.
No warranty & not repairable was the story they got from Dynatek, both blokes rubber mounted the new units & have had no dramas since but it was an expensive lesson.
They said they'd since heard of heaps of people whos Dynas had shit themselves & so they were looking at alternatives.
I'm still trying to get hold of 1 of their old units because I'm sure they can be fixed by someone who's electronics savvy, I suspect Dyna just wanted to sell them new ones.

I was going to get one till i found out about the failures.. Then got told who owns Dynatek and thought it wouldn't go down to well at work:D

Dynomutt
12-01-2011, 07:26 PM
If you mount the box correctly then vibrtion isn't an issue, all it needs is a sheet of 3 or 4 mm rubber undeneath it. I've fitted load of Dyna ignitions over the years with only 2 failures. Some of the originl Dyna2000 sufferered with one channel going down, the faulty units were replaced by Dynatec and this issue was addressed and the new programmable version of the Dyna2000 has been reliable.
It comes with the same advance curves as the original, but also has the fcility to be hooked up to a PC to have the curves reprogrammed using the curvemaker software from Dynatek. It doesn't interface with the dyno like power commander can. But I use Dyna S, Dyna2000 and the Dyna4000 on both my own bikes and customers bikes.
Dynatek have been making ignitions for a long time, and I will continue to use them in preference to others.The Dyna boxes are potted. So who allegedly owns Dynatek then?

latheboy
12-01-2011, 08:27 PM
So who <s>allegedly </s>owns Dynatek then?

Dynojet....
Same people who bring you Powercommander

Dynomutt
12-01-2011, 09:24 PM
That makes sense, although I must admit I was probably being a bit thick as I hadn't even made the connection between the two, even though Dynojet UK supply me with all the Dynatek products that I use and sell as well as their own stuff.

Booster
12-01-2011, 10:14 PM
potting can be fairly easy to remove, there was a post about it on the ecu hacking site,
mvf or something like that , a solvent to soften it and a fine fine brass wheel on a variable speed drill , i can check and make sure what the solvent was and post the link if needed

Redmohawk
13-01-2011, 04:59 AM
Please do Greg, I'm keen to do a few I have here as practice units (stuffed) if I can work out an efective system mates rates for ASF peeps.

Booster
13-01-2011, 10:01 AM
http://www.activeboard.com/forum.spark?aBID=99460&p=3&topicID=9617940
There was a better one somewhere but this will get you started

Redmohawk
13-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Top stuff know the chemical well, have a box at work lol will give it a try tomorrow arvo !