PDA

View Full Version : Won't Start

Shadowzone
20-11-2010, 01:50 PM
O.K. Hit a snag today with the XS. I can turn on the ignition (verified by the rear brake light coming on) however I have nothing else. No indicators, headlamp, and the poofter thing won't run. Even using the kickstart it simply won't fire up. I've checked the points are opening and closing and they are so no problem there. The only thing left to do is replace the switch blocks and ignition and the main fuse which looks a little the worse for wear although bypassing it with alfoil wrapped around it (yes I know bodgy as fuck) made no difference whatsoever.

Any suggestions? I plan on replacing the switch blocks because they appear to have seen better days internally, but otherwise I'm at a loss?

Gixxer_rat85
20-11-2010, 02:42 PM
XS what? are we talking about Yam xs? what size? I got a few xs650`s and have a bit of a clue about them.

Gixxer_rat85
20-11-2010, 03:34 PM
Ok, must be an xs650 from the pics. grab a test light, check you have 12+ at the coils.
>>>>Yes = disconnect both low tension wires to each coil and connect test light across each pair. crank engine and check that they are switching.
>>>>No 12v+ at coils = locate problem or fit jump wire between battery + and coils and retest.

points must be set correctly, as unsufficient dwell (time points are closed) will result in weak or no spark.
also, the shaft that the eccentric runs on is carried by bronze bushes which are famous for flogging out on these engines, making it almost impossible to accurately set dwell. Check for lateral play in this shaft, and replace bushes if needed. (forget trying to source from Yamaha, as they are almost impossible to find)...most of us have them made by a machine shop. Let me know how you go!

Shadowzone
20-11-2010, 04:35 PM
Mate it is an XS650.

I'll check the coils though as I didn't think of that. I'll also check the shaft for play although from my observations checking the points it seemed to be getting a good connection everytime they closed.

I'll let you know how I go.

sharky
20-11-2010, 04:50 PM
It was always the condensers on mine packing up...found matching ones at car spares shop...much cheaper than yamaha's

Shadowzone
20-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Cheers Russ. You could always come have a play if your bored!

Oh and do you by any chance happen to have a workshop manual for them you won't be wanting?