PDA

View Full Version : Cranking but not starting.....

K6Thou
15-11-2010, 09:48 PM
Ok so as per the user name I have an 06 Gixxer thou.

http://i961.photobucket.com/albums/ae97/gqmad/bike%20stuff/003.jpg

It currently looks very neglected^^^^ but I tried to start it yesterday after being stored for about 8 months and no joy.

It will crank over fine but not start, the 'pre-start check' the bike does when you power it up (turn the key to on) doesn't happen either so any ideas ??

It has fuel but it has been there for maybe 12 months (and I noticed I couldn't hear the pump prime itself when it gets power) so could the fuel pump be gummed up and sending an error message to the computer ?

I have a fair knowledge of bikes but the whole computer thing has me a bit stumped.

Thanks in advance,

Dan.

chopiesel
15-11-2010, 10:13 PM
prob the fuel system

Jockney Rebel
15-11-2010, 10:13 PM
if its not doing the check thing and it runs on the canbus system ..id be checking the links between your clocks and your ecu becuase if the ecu doesnt get info from the instruments it wont initiate

Redmohawk
15-11-2010, 10:43 PM
Fuel pump have a fuse? or a fuseable link ? Could be stale fuel dropping crap into the pump stopping it from turning over, Try using a test light to make sure its getting power to the pump to check that its running if not , use a little wire to make a patch lead unplug it and check that it works (put a fuse in the patch lead just in case there is an issue with the pump say 20 amp should be heaps) . No fuel pressure no start , As Jimmi said check your link conectors on loom (likley issue if it has been sitting a while ) could also be a fuel pump relay if your bike runs one.

First step to electrical issue is use the test light to chase down if everything that needs power on turning key is getting what it needs.

Redmohawk
15-11-2010, 10:47 PM
If the pump or fuel filter is gumed up the pump will draw excess current and the puter "may" sence this I dont have specific knowlage of your bikes pre start checks so dont know if it looks a fuel pump current (likley though as alot of later model bikes computers can and do)

Shadowzone
15-11-2010, 11:50 PM
What voltage is your battery putting out?

I'd start there and work forward. If the voltage is too low on some late model stuff it won't run even though it's capable of firing off said voltage.

Booster
16-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Starter circuit does not use the ecu but the dash and fuel pump do so its a ecu prob
i would check the fuses first including the big 30a on the starter relay ,also don't just look at the fuse check for current on the output side, corrosion on the fuse terminals can stop you just as quick as a blown fuse and even melt the fuse block
then the ecu plug, seen some corrosion in these as guys remove the wire for exhaust fault codes and this allows water into the plug

Large
16-11-2010, 06:58 AM
06s have an immobiliser. If it's anything like a Honda, it wont start the fuel pump unless it recognises the chip on the key. Have you got a second key to try?

crazymofo
16-11-2010, 01:13 PM
bridge the dealer mode plug and turn the bike one, see what error code it throws on the dash.

cheers.joe.

BANDITROD
16-11-2010, 04:13 PM
that would have a tip over sensor wouldnt it.... maybe thats fucking up

Booster
16-11-2010, 06:14 PM
Side stand switch , kill switch and i think tip over sensor will give a CHEC code ,
ecu controled stuff like fuel pump relay or injector wiring etc will be the FI code and the dealer plug bridge will give your answers
even the an immobiliser prob will give a FI fault code but you still get most of the dash function , and removing the connecting plug from the dash will have no effect on starting you will just have no display.

BANDITROD
16-11-2010, 06:47 PM
ahh cool

K6Thou
16-11-2010, 08:33 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

Side stand switch , kill switch and i think tip over sensor will give a CHEC code ,
ecu controled stuff like fuel pump relay or injector wiring etc will be the FI code and the dealer plug bridge will give your answers
even the an immobiliser prob will give a FI fault code but you still get most of the dash function , and removing the connecting plug from the dash will have no effect on starting you will just have no display.

This seems like what I have happening, no digital number in the gear position screen but the orange back lights work. The side stand kill switch shouldn't be a drama the bike was running without the stand before it was parked up, the kill switch has a 'deadman switch' wired into it but again was working before storage.

Large.. I tried both keys I have for it (2nd key is still in the factory blue plastic) and still no joy.

Crazymofo.. Dealer mode plug ???

Everything else I will check out on the weekend when I can get a multi meter.

Cheers,

Dan.

Booster
17-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Dealer mode plug is under the seat near the battery,was a white 4 pin plug with 2 wires a white with red stripe and white with black stripe with black rubber cap on earlier models, but i think yours will be a 6 pin black plug but its the same wires your looking for , you bridge these white/red and white/black with a short piece of wire with stripped ends and will change the dash display from flashing FI to a number like C44 ,

K6Thou
17-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Thanks Booster. [8D]

K6Thou
18-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Ok I checked last night and can only find 2 plugs near the battery that are capped 1 is a white 6 pin with a rubber cap and the other is a black 8 pin with a hard plastic cap.
The white one has 1 of the wires mentioned (white with red trace) but not the other (white with black) trace.

There is 2 of what I can only guess are relays near the battery as well, one clicks as soon as the bike is powered up and then about 30 seconds later.

The solenoid ?? on the throttle bodies that controls the automatic choke?? can be heard and the butterflies flutter (for want of a better term).

I have also checked the wiring to the clocks and it all seems ok, so I'm still at a loss.

Booster
18-11-2010, 10:45 PM
I'll have a 06 gix loom here in a couple of days so i can confirm wire colour, bridging the wires is basicly earthing the white/red to signal the ecu to go into dealer mode ,

if there is a FI light flashing on the dash putting into dealer mode will give you the fault code
if there is no flashing FI light then there is no point ,
the stepper motor on the throttlebodys will cycle at key on, its the secondary throttle blade control .
one of the the relays near the battery is the fuel pump relay, its the one that is on for several seconds then clicks off , if its cycling and your fuel pump is not running , check your fuel pump fuse, then the yellow/something wire on the base of the tank for power

K6Thou
21-11-2010, 09:10 PM
quote:Originally posted by Booster

I'll have a 06 gix loom here in a couple of days so i can confirm wire colour, bridging the wires is basicly earthing the white/red to signal the ecu to go into dealer mode ,

if there is a FI light flashing on the dash putting into dealer mode will give you the fault code
if there is no flashing FI light then there is no point ,
the stepper motor on the throttlebodys will cycle at key on, its the secondary throttle blade control .
one of the the relays near the battery is the fuel pump relay, its the one that is on for several seconds then clicks off , if its cycling and your fuel pump is not running , check your fuel pump fuse, then the yellow/something wire on the base of the tank for power

Thanks booster that would be great.:D

The thing is there is nothing showing up on the dash display other than the orange back light.