PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filters

Cruisecontrol
10-11-2010, 05:42 PM
How do people tighten their newly fitted oil filters?

The year is divisible by 5 so I changed the oil and filter but didn't have the specific tool to remove the old and fit the new.
I just used a tie-down strap to get the old one off and tried the same to tighten the new one but am a little concerned that it may not be tight enough...

Any suggestions?

Large
10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
A clean oil filter with a bit of fresh oil on the o ring should be doer-uppable by hand- assuming you have clean, normal man hands with a shear strength of blah blah.

Or just tighten it so it splits then back it off half a turn

BANDITROD
10-11-2010, 06:07 PM
i always do it by hand just do it up till you start to fell resistance and then give it another 3/4 of a turn mate and i have never had any trouble

Gitzy
10-11-2010, 06:11 PM
What bike Dan, I have a suzuki oil filter socket here that you just put a extended ratchet onto I used on my gixer and bandit.. and I don't have a zoook anymore I could send it too you if its for suzuki..

This time round though I agree with Large, hand tighten.. I just always nipped it up a little with the socket tool, and mainly used said socket to remove the old filter more so than using to tighten the new one..

Cruisecontrol
10-11-2010, 06:38 PM
quote:Originally posted by Gitzy

What bike Dan, I have a suzuki oil filter socket here that you just put a extended ratchet onto I used on my gixer and bandit.. and I don't have a zoook anymore I could send it too you if its for suzuki..

This time round though I agree with Large, hand tighten.. I just always nipped it up a little with the socket tool, and mainly used said socket to remove the old filter more so than using to tighten the new one..

Mate, if you could bring that along on Friday it would be a Godsend. It will save me a bit of stress and you a few bucks on beers on Friday night. ;)

I couldn't be arsed taking the headers off to access it better so my angle of attack was less than perfect. I tightened it up as best I could by hand and got the strap on for another quarter turn, but I have that niggling feeling that it is just not quite tight enough...

Gitzy
10-11-2010, 06:49 PM
No wuccas mate, I just put it in my backpack so I don't forget..

Cruisecontrol
10-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Damn, I love this place. Thanks, mate. :)

StuNVA
10-11-2010, 07:09 PM
K&N oil filters have a 17mm (mmm maybe not 17mm) nut on the end of them, makes it real easy.

Lewis Moto
10-11-2010, 07:09 PM
Fill it with oil before fitting.
As per recomendations from many manufactures spin it until it touches down and then give it 3/4 from there to compress the o ring. Generally thats a firm hand tight by man standards. Too much - as in hand tools - and you could displace the o ring.

Large
10-11-2010, 07:49 PM
http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1289463989.jpg

http://www.asfphotos.com/upload/1289412589.jpg

DiscoDan
11-11-2010, 07:38 AM
I use a jubilee clip on the filter which gives you something to grip onto. As the other guys said it shouldn't be done up too hard anyway, so you just need something to get a good hand-grip on. It then doubles as a lock-wire mount point so it's a double bonus

scotty
11-11-2010, 08:59 AM
i'd say you have it tight, u allways get that feeling (of it not being tight)... U will damage it more by ova tightening it than it being loose, stand next to your bike when done and ready to start it and look to see any leaks, warm the motur slightly and ree check tension. Dont ova tighten, next time the 5 comes around A; u wont get it of without major head fucks
B; if it eva comes of again the oring will be welded(or seem it) to the machined face , starting more head fucks.......bit of clean oil on the oring and hand tight........