PDA

View Full Version : GSXR1000K1 noise

Jazdiver
07-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Howdy all, have a K1 that has just hit 45k. Bike performs brilliantly. However I have noticed a rubbing or bush noise that can be heard faintly over engine noise when just cruising along ( say 70-80kph in 3rd or 4th for instance), prob still there at 100kph but winf noise would make it harder to detect. You would almost say it sounds like alternator brushes on a car. Pull the clutch and it's gone so it def engine related. No noises or rattles on start up and only rears it's head 10-15mins into a ride once fully warmed up so thinking not CCT or chain. Jumped off mine at lights and onto my mates identical K2 and noticed his hasnt got it. No noise under acceleration but slowly slowing down to a set of traffic lights and you can just hear it again. Alternator outputs are good, wheel bearings are recent, chain lubed and adjusted???? Any ideas from anyone in the know.Was looking at upgrading shortly but would like to get this rectified for the new owner as pulling a shifty isnt my thing. All the power is still there, just the faint brush or rubbing sound is starting to give me the shits.

BANDITROD
07-11-2010, 09:00 PM
maybe something in the clutch as it goes away when you pull it in i would pull the clutch cover off and have a geezer ...

ralph
08-11-2010, 07:42 PM
try a big screwdriver or stethascope on the engine at various points at idle and see if you can locate and identify it that way?

Jazdiver
08-11-2010, 08:18 PM
No not the clutch, as it's there while the clutch is not engaged and it is not an engine knocking sound at all so a stethoscope wont help. It's a whoosh whoosh whoosh whoosh sound while cruising at a constant rev that cannot be heard at acceleration. Im thinking it's likely the alternator even tho the output figures are still good. Anyone else have any ideas?

Jazdiver
08-11-2010, 08:20 PM
Or perhaps the cam chain tensioner, I believe they are automatic and operate off of oil pressure on this model?

RevHead
08-11-2010, 08:36 PM
could be a big end they give a funny pitch noise ,if its when the oil is hot, its beause the oil isnt making up the tolerences,i has a gsxr750 a few yrs back that i rode from a bike shop in sydney to almost home here in macksville,100ks from home it died,when stipped it was a spun big end bearing

Deano
08-11-2010, 08:47 PM
what about drive chain, sprocket carrier or wheel bearings?

Deano
08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
actually i think it is fucked i will give you $50 for the bike.

Jazdiver
08-11-2010, 09:08 PM
$50, I'll wash it and polish it up for you then. Dean if I pull the clutch in and drop the revs while riding, no noise. At 45k, could it be cush drive and I just dont know what to look for?My mate who owns the 02 1000 rode it and didn't notice it till I pointed it out to him, then he heard it. Wheel bearings done 5000k's ago but it has done a few power mono's since then

TurboKat
08-11-2010, 09:35 PM
I changed the chain & sprockets on my TL from OEM to JT steels & DID X ring at about 25K kms & the new front sprocket didn't have the big rubber pads around it like the Suzy one, with the new set it made a similar noise to what you're describing & would quieten down when I pulled the clutch in (taking load off), I bought a genuine front sprocket & put it on & all was quiet again.
Dunno if that helps or not Jase but I thought it could be a possibility.

Deano
08-11-2010, 09:59 PM
if your mate has the same bike then i would be swapping stuff like rear wheels, sprockets etc just to rule them out.

pulling the clutch in will take the load of the drive line.

also will it do it in any other gears except 3 and 4, could be a gear on the way out