PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Mounting ??

Phill
06-11-2010, 07:24 PM
can anyone think why i couldnt mount a turbo "vertically" instead of the standard "horizontally"?
I can only think that in case the impellor shaft and bearings wear or move too much and the impellor / compressor wheel touches the housings. (usually terminal then!)
Oil feed should be ok, the turbo I have is also water cooled and that shouldnt be a problem either. Just not sure about it.
Any Ideas or suggestions?
Phill

chopiesel
06-11-2010, 07:55 PM
oil drain from turbo id say....you will end up blowing oil out the exhaust at a tremendous rate

ozzy1100
06-11-2010, 08:03 PM
yep oil is yr prob id say
turbos are disigned for only a range of angle in mounting

Redmohawk
07-11-2010, 01:15 PM
Sorry to say mate ^^^^^^^^^^^ right on the ball turbo must be mounted so oil will drain as freely as possable from housing, oil that leaves the turbo is all frothy and at a much greater volume than oil entering turbo doesnt flow well at all. Any tight bends restrictions on outlet side ar to be avoided at all costs, also oulet retun shoud be above oil level in bike when not running to ensure no backpressure on turbo, leaky seals.

latheboy
07-11-2010, 02:30 PM
quote:Originally posted by Redmohawk

also oulet retun shoud be above oil level in bike when not running to ensure no backpressure on turbo, leaky seals.

Not true bud, all you need to do is run a electric scavager pump and check valve so it cant flow back. Then you can put it in the bottom of the sump if you want.

I've built a mech scavager pump running off the crank and it dumps back in well above the 710 level.

Phill
07-11-2010, 04:09 PM
Hey Latheboy, yer caps on backwards!!! heh heh.

Redmohawk
07-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Yep very true Ivan , was just sticking to the basics considering the question.